X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deployment Overseas

To answer the heart of your question OP, you're obligated as a member of any military component to deploy if your unit is called up. We also deploy to more than just combat zones, you know. We do excercises with different foreign nations, training, etc. It's just a reality of being in any branch of the military and you've got to own up to it if your ticket is called.

And I don't have to tell most this if you do any kind of research at all, but don't for one minute think just because you join the Reserves or Guard that you are safe from deployment. Case in point: I went to BCT Oct 2011, and at least two gents I went to BCT with deployed right after AIT in early '12 as in they rolled right into MOB. One was Reserves and one was National Guard. They are both in the Stan right now. Talk about fast.

There are also opportunities to volunteer to go with different units, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
      Ditto. If you are not willing to deploy don't join. That said, it my short time in the Guard I have met many 20+ years Guardsmen from various MOS who have never deployed. In my speciality field it seems volunteers are usually asked for first (unless it is an unit deploment) and if not enough step forward people get volunteered. That said, it is my understanding that Air Guard deploments have been shorter than Army Guard deployments.
      The correct terminology is voluntold.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
        The correct terminology is voluntold.

Comment

Originally posted by astergh View Post
          For the Air National Guard, I was told it is only on a volunteer basis.
          You were lied to.

Comment

Working...
          X