X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deployment Overseas

Does anyone know if deployment overseas is on a volunteer basis or obligatory? For the Air National Guard, I was told it is only on a volunteer basis. I was wondering if it is the same here. Thanks.

Re: Deployment Overseas

Either or......in the Guard if your unit gets mobilized it is mandatory. And if need be they will put you in an unit that needs you that is deploying in your state.

Or you can volunteer to go...even with other states. A lot of people volunteer and never get to go. Fewer and fewer units are mobilized these days.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; April 2nd, 2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astergh View Post
      Does anyone know if deployment overseas is on a volunteer basis or obligatory? For the Air National Guard, I was told it is only on a volunteer basis. I was wondering if it is the same here. Thanks.
      Do not join the military if you are not willing to go. It is the sole reason we exist..period. Conversation over.

Comment

My cousin was CT Air Guard and he did not volunteer to go to Afghanistan, so I do not know who will tell you that. All branches and components are subject to deployment unless they are in a non-deployable slot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
          Do not join the military if you are not willing to go. It is the sole reason we exist..period. Conversation over.
          I do not believe it is the "sole reason" the military exist. Do we not need protection and help here?

Comment

An actual sgt. told me that it was a volunteer basis in the Air National Guard. That is why I asked.

Comment

Originally posted by astergh View Post
              An actual sgt. told me that it was a volunteer basis in the Air National Guard. That is why I asked.
              You're either lying or that Sergeant is an idiot. When you are put on Title 10 status (federal active duty), you'd better get your @$$ on that plane.

To reiterate what Incognito said: if you do not want to deploy, do not join. The military exists to kill people and break things in support of our national interests. All that "helping the community" poppycock you see on NG recruitment posters is secondary.

Comment

The Army never puts it in those terms...they use terms like, ie. destroy the enemies of the US in close combat.

"Here I am send me." - cut my orders please.

Comment

Ditto. If you are not willing to deploy don't join. That said, it my short time in the Guard I have met many 20+ years Guardsmen from various MOS who have never deployed. In my speciality field it seems volunteers are usually asked for first (unless it is an unit deploment) and if not enough step forward people get volunteered. That said, it is my understanding that Air Guard deploments have been shorter than Army Guard deployments.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                    Ditto. If you are not willing to deploy don't join. That said, it my short time in the Guard I have met many 20+ years Guardsmen from various MOS who have never deployed. In my speciality field it seems volunteers are usually asked for first (unless it is an unit deploment) and if not enough step forward people get volunteered. That said, it is my understanding that Air Guard deploments have been shorter than Army Guard deployments.
                    With 12 years of war; it baffles me that I will see senior leaders who are slicked sleeve. Unless you were non-deployable due to a condition; there was no excuse to not get on the bandwagon and sadly allowed others to do repeated deployments when they did not want to.

Comment

I spoke with with one SFC who said he got off active duty to join the Guard so he could deploy......

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                        With 12 years of war; it baffles me that I will see senior leaders who are slicked sleeve. Unless you were non-deployable due to a condition; there was no excuse to not get on the bandwagon and sadly allowed others to do repeated deployments when they did not want to.
                        Nothing gets me fired up like having some E7 who has never deployed give me the salty NCO routine.

Comment

With how things are going, deployments are decreasing. Doesn't mean you won't get to go, its still a possibility. I was told from folks to expect at least one deployment on a 6x2 contract. I, personally, want to get deployed. I know others are other there doing their deed for our country and I'd like to take someone's spot so they cound have some family time.

Comment

I should note that I am at a HQ and are mostly but not entirely admin type forces.

Comment

If you're serious dont join the army. I was mobilized 2 weeks after I finished AIT. Because I joined the army and the army sends soldiers to war. It's not the Boy Scouts.

Comment

Working...
                              X