X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lying at MEPS

I've been meeting with a recruiter for quite a while now, and he asked me some questions, and some he said they would ask me at MEPS. He said all though he can't really advise me what to say, he told me to lie about certain things. Some because they aren't that big of a deal, but if they aren't that big of a deal then I don't understand why he would want me to lie about them.

Few main things I sprained my ankle when I was 14, it perfectly healed.
    He asked have I ever done any illegal drugs, I said once when I was 18.

I haven't touched it since then, honestly it wasn't for me. And I haven't had a serious injury. Is this really something I should lie about, will it completely mess up my chances of getting in.

Re: Lying at MEPS

Originally posted by Curious2009 View Post
    I've been meeting with a recruiter for quite a while now, and he asked me some questions, and some he said they would ask me at MEPS. He said all though he can't really advise me what to say, he told me to lie about certain things. Some because they aren't that big of a deal, but if they aren't that big of a deal then I don't understand why he would want me to lie about them.

I haven't touched it since then, honestly it wasn't for me. And I haven't had a serious injury. Is this really something I should lie about, will it completely mess up my chances of getting in.
    Frown on me if you all want too, but when it comes to MEPS honesty gets you no where. Unless it is a health condition that can cost you your life (and/or health) or someone else theirs, and/or it is physically noticeable at the physical exam, it did not happen.

Comment

They can't check, I know they asked for 10 people I know. They won't go ask them if I have or not.
      And not frowning down on you, my recruiter said it, and hes been there so I figure it can't be so much of a bad thing. Just wanted some other opinions on it.

Comment

They can't check, I know they asked for 10 people I know. They won't go ask them if I have or not.
        And not frowning down on you, my recruiter said it, and hes been there so I figure it can't be so much of a bad thing. Just wanted some other opinions on it.
        There is no data base for medical records like there is criminal. They only know what you tell them. Most of the info that is asked has to do with security clearance stuff...if you even need one. Meps standards and security clearance standards are not the same. Dont lie to the security interviewer and you will be fine.

Comment

Before you even read into that too much....what mos do you want?

Comment

That's funny.

Lying and withholding are two completely different things.

I doubt your recruiter told you to "lie" or he/she would have contradicted him/herself. To say "I can't tell you what to say" but turn around and tell you to "lie" is like saying I can't tell you to do beat your face but your chest better be aching in the next 5 minutes.

Don't be the person that writes a supplemental explaining that you twisted your ankle in the 3rd grade while jumping rope at P.E. Whoever the facilitator is at MEPS will embarrass you in front of however many hundreds of people that are in there with you during your 'moment of truth'.

Geeze.

If you didn't go to court for enhaling a can of aerosol, then don't tell anybody about it.
            Last edited by VICEROY06; April 2nd, 2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Indeed. We don't want to encourage lying here (fraudulent enlistment is very bad.) But I do believe it is fair to educate one on the likelihood of any/all military responses or actions. Remember, it is ultimately your career. Blaming your recruiter or people on the internet doesn't get you very far.
              Last edited by SteveLord; April 2nd, 2013, 04:18 PM.

Comment

This thread should be "unofficially stickied".

Comment

Yes, withholding information is not lying. But you may be considered dishonest, since you are deliberately withholding the truth lol. We all have done it. I remember someone telling me that I was not a liar but I just provided "half-truths". Whatever lol.

Comment

Honestly bro, I am Active Duty Marine Corps trying to go Guard when I get out. I was told the same thing by my Recruiter. I had childhood asthma, I hadn't had any issues since i was 8 (I joined when I was 17), and I told meps that I didnt have asthma at all. They even had a spot for childhood asthma. But I was taking no chances of not getting in. I also lied about drug use. But the area I was living in, I'm sure they knew I was lying, but I had never been arrested and it was mostly "experimentation", the rest was recreational. Like Mr. Incognito said, They don't know anything you don't tell em.

Comment

I'll advise you what my recruiter said to me...."at MEPS you will be the most perfect & healthiest person for that day! They will only ask you what you submitted on your SF-86, so don't volunteer...remember they are there to FAIL you so don't give them a reason."

Comment

My recruit said the same thing. He said that he doesn't advise anyone to lie but MEPS only knows what YOU tell them. He said a lot of people are like you and just blow him off they end up being disqualified. So would you rather withhold information or be disqualified? He has a son that's been in the guard for 10+ years but when he went in he had a disintegrating pin in his arm because of a bad break, it disintegrated on it's own and it's gone, but they ask you at MEPS do you have any pins or screws or whatever in your bones, DQ'd. You can get DQ'd for the smallest little insignificant thing that doesn't necessarily hinder your ability to perform, that's why he's telling you that.

Comment

Also, you definitely don't want to go to MEPS and say you did drugs once. They WILL ask you that. But, it's up to you whether you tell them that or not, consequences are on you. My recruiter has told me about a bunch of people he tried to put in has given them the same heads up, they choose to be an Honest Abe and get disqualified. Simple as that. MEPS is not there to help you, although I loved MEPS they're not on your side.
                          Last edited by Xalyx; April 3rd, 2013, 01:15 AM.

Comment

"I've been meeting with a recruiter for quite a while now"..........crap or get off the pot and stop wasting his time.

Comment

Working...
                            X