X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please

I am a 33 year old married man with a wife and 3 kids. I am currently finishing my Accounting degree online which gives me wonderful flexibility. I have always wanted to serve the military

but got tied up in the family business from a young age and never made the leap. I have a few questions.

First I would like to give some info. I have been running a chain of family owned auto repair shops since I was in my teens and need a career change. I have a lot of experience in

management, supply chain, budgeting, human resources, legal compliance, and most importantly able to keep 40+ blue collar mechanics in line and running efficiently and profitably. Also I have

spent a lot of time turning the wrenches so I have mechanical knowledge and ability. My wife and I have been married for 8 years and have a strong relationship. She is independent and very

capable of running the home alone if I am away. I am a very driven person and am able to handle a family, career and full time college of which I only have about 3 to 5 semesters left. It is all

online so I will be able to continue while in the military. I have a dream to serve in Washington on military budget committees on behalf of the soldiers. I know Washington is a longshot but one

has to dream and push forward. I would like to peruse an officer’s career but this is not a must. My Questions are as follows:

1. Is a career in the military still available to me?

2. Am I eligible to be an officer candidate (I am referring primarily to age)?

3. How much strain in your opinion will this put on a family by choosing this career path?

4. In your opinion is this a “pipe dream” and should I drop it and stay in the family business.

Thanks for your time
    Pete

Re: Advice Please

Originally posted by greek22 View Post
    My Questions are as follows:

1. Is a career in the military still available to me?

2. Am I eligible to be an officer candidate (I am referring primarily to age)?

3. How much strain in your opinion will this put on a family by choosing this career path?

4. In your opinion is this a “pipe dream” and should I drop it and stay in the family business.
    1. You're here at the NG site so you must already know that you're talking a part-time military career. It will eat up valuable chunks of your time, and much more than 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, but it is still an option for you if you wish to serve and don the uniform. You've got multiple experiences there that would match up well with several different basic branches within either the enlisted or officer ranks.

2. Yes. Some states have more stringent rules, but the NGB rule is you must commission before you turn 42. I've got several fellow Officer Candidates right now who are right around your age or older, with at least 2 of them pushing that cut-off mark. Your age will disqualify you from branching Aviation, but that's about it. Only way you'll know for sure is contact a local recruiter to see what your state's rules are. Also you are still finishing your Bachelors degree from what I gather. You can start Traditional OCS with 60 credits and commission once you have 90 credits, but you can't promote beyond 1LT without your BS.

3. There's no die hard answer here. The quick answer I can tell you is you're going to have considerable time away from family, at least about 3 months on the front-end for Basic Training with limited to no contact. Then your drill weekend each month, your Annual Training period(s) each year at apx. 2 weeks, and if you do go Officer and commission you're going to have a branch specific (BOLC-B) training ranging anywhere from about 14 weeks to a year. Lots of time away from your family. There is also time during the month when you'll have to be planning and coordinating, so it's not exaclty a switch that you can just flip on and off when you take off the uniform.

4. It's definitely not a pipe dream. I'm a dedicated full-time Army Civilian by day (not affiliated with my Guard service) with a wife and two children, and decided I also wanted to be a soldier to see the other side of the very thing that I support day in and out. I started down this path at age 26 so I'm not too far off of your age. You've got plenty of time if this is really what you want to do and serve your state and country. Now your dream of serving in Washington on budget committees...that "MAY" be a pipedream. There are Army programs that afford senior officers those opportunities (along with being on Congressional staffs), but they are A) highly competitive and B) next to nill for Reserve or Guardsmen. Those are primarily reserved for Active Duty officers.

Comment

Thank you very much for your thoughts they have been very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by greek22 View Post
        I am a 33 year old married man with a wife and 3 kids. I am currently finishing my Accounting degree online which gives me wonderful flexibility. I have always wanted to serve the military but got tied up in the family business from a young age and never made the leap.
        I'm a 40-year-old man (about to turn 41 next week) with a masters degree, married with a daughter and two grandchildren a veteran educator and currently in OCS. Yes, it will take a LOT of time away from your family and your career, particularly, in the beginning and even moreso if you get deployed. But more importantly, you have 3 issues to consider:

A). Do you have any unpaid tickets or rulings against you in court more serious than traffic fines?
        B). What kind of shape are you in?
        C). Do you at least have an undergrad degree?

Best thing to do before you do anything is to talk with your wife and family EARLY and FREQUENTLY about your decision. If you've already done so, then involve your family with as much of the process as possible.

Comment

It's worth going and talking with a recruiter. See what happens, fill out the paperwork and go to MEPS. Choose to go to OCS, or choose an MOS.

I've not regretted my five years. They will have to run me off with a stick and trashcan lid.
          Last edited by Chaplain4me; April 2nd, 2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
            It's worth going and talking with a recruiter. See what happens, fill out the paperwork and go to MEPS. Choose to go to OCS, or choose an MOS.

I've not regretted my five years. They will have to run me off with a stick and trashcan lid.
            I just had the mental picture of a, raccoon holding a Bible, being chased off some old geezers front porch... with a stick and trashcan lid in the middle of the night.

Thanks Chappy.

Comment

Working...
            X