Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical history might be DQ?

Ok so to make a story short:

I was demoted from my law enforcement position due to experiencing 2 fainting/seizures in the field. it came on out of nowhere and next thing i know im in the ambulance. both times happened in the field so not too good. coworkers said i tightened up seizure like but for a few seconds. I got a letter that the chief surgeon did not certify me to carry a firearm anymore until some time passes and it gets figured out.

I went to a neurologist and cardiologist and both couldnt find anything slightly wrong. they said it could have just been lack of sleep and/or stress and could never happen again or it might...

anyways seeing as how theres hospital records and maybe something with my job (if they get those docs), how should i disclose this to the recruiter? Im hoping to go into bct by end of summer and ocs afterwards.

Another reason for those medical problems could have been my abuse of oxycodone, which I did not tell the doctors. I have since gone to rehab and stayed clean. Is this something I have to discolse as well? Id rather not for obvisou reasons.

Thanks guys and I truly appreciate the help. I also hope that medical would not be an issue..

EDIT: Im still currently employed, just in a position that no longer is armed

Re: Medical history might be DQ?

You were a LEO? What was your actual position?

Comment

Originally posted by YANG View Post
      You were a LEO? What was your actual position?
      Invesigator. full arrest powers and full-time conceal carry in one of the largest cities in America...but what does that have to do with my current concerns?

Comment

Well, take a look at your initial statements and try to imagine it from a Recruiter's or the Army's perspective.

You were a LE personnel who got demoted from his position due to unknown medical reasons (which caused dizziness/loss of consciousness). In addition, subsequent medical evaluations were unable to determine the problem. That sends up all sorts of red flags for you bub. It may never happen again or it may. What if that happens while in a fire-fight, live fire exercise or worse?

In addition, you failed to disclose to your doctors, who were treating you, that you had a drug problem. With that information, they may have been able to find that actual reason for your fainting spells and setup a documentable treatment plan that would have resolved the issue. That bit alone brings into question your character. By concealing that bit of info, you make yourself come off as less than trustworthy which is *highly* incompatible with the Army, especially as an Officer, where the minimum security clearance is SECRET.

Not saying that you're not an upstanding guy, but do you see the point?

I think YANG was just curious as to what you did in LE, be it a police officer, security guard, private investigations, etc etc. And frankly, so am I. Do you work for a PD or Federal LE? Are you state licensed Police Officer (we call it TCLEOSE certified in Texas). We get a lot of people on these forums who say they Dick Tracy and end up being Barney Fife. If you don't want to disclose what you do (did) exactly, you don't have to.... just saying. It helps us get a better idea of who you are and how to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by outluded View Post
          Ok so to make a story short:

I was demoted from my law enforcement position due to experiencing 2 fainting/seizures in the field. it came on out of nowhere and next thing i know im in the ambulance. both times happened in the field so not too good. coworkers said i tightened up seizure like but for a few seconds. I got a letter that the chief surgeon did not certify me to carry a firearm anymore until some time passes and it gets figured out.

I went to a neurologist and cardiologist and both couldnt find anything slightly wrong. they said it could have just been lack of sleep and/or stress and could never happen again or it might...

anyways seeing as how theres hospital records and maybe something with my job (if they get those docs), how should i disclose this to the recruiter? Im hoping to go into bct by end of summer and ocs afterwards.

Another reason for those medical problems could have been my abuse of oxycodone, which I did not tell the doctors. I have since gone to rehab and stayed clean. Is this something I have to discolse as well? Id rather not for obvisou reasons.

Thanks guys and I truly appreciate the help. I also hope that medical would not be an issue..

EDIT: Im still currently employed, just in a position that no longer is armed
          A recruiter will be better able to address your questions. You will need to disclose your medical records and medication. If your civilian employer deems necessary to remove your firearms, why would you think you can be accepted into the armed services?

I suggest that you take care of yourself first before engaging in military service. From what you wrote; it appears that you are disqualified at this time.

Comment

Working...
          X