Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a hernia do you think this could affect my accpetence into the guard?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a hernia do you think this could affect my accpetence into the guard?

It doesnt bother me unless I do squats with a fairly heavy weight for myself. Even then its not really painful more like uncomfortable like I got some gas with a little tenderness. I workout, run, ect.. still do some squats just not as many/often as I would like to.

Re: I have a hernia do you think this could affect my accpetence into the guard?

Can anybody answer this?

Comment

Re: I have a hernia do you think this could affect my accpetence into the guard?

It needs to be fixed.

I think if it's not fixed, then yes you will have a problem because they check everyone for hernias.

I had hernia surgery and they didn't even ask for the paperwork about it....small tators.

The surgery ain't bad....you just can't run or lift for awhile afterwards, it will never give you a problem again.

I woke up in the middle of the surgery and the doc was talking about what he watched on TV the night before.
      Last edited by Chaplain4me; March 22nd, 2013, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Philipee, see AR 40-501.

Section 2-3. Abdominal organs and gastrointestinal system

h. Abdominal wall.
        (1) Current hernia, including, but not limited to uncorrected inguinal (550) and other abdominal wall hernias (553),
        do not meet the standard.

As an aside, I had two hernias (surgically repaired) and ran into no problems at MEPS. Chaplain4me is correct, you will "cough" at MEPS. Get them fixed and you should be good to go. Also, keep in mind that hernias can be dangerous. If a portion of your intestines were to slip through the hernia, resulting in a lack of blood flow to the intestine, you could be facing emergency surgery. At least that was my doctor's explantion why I had to have surgery the day after one of them was discovered.

Comment

Yes the longer you wait and the bigger it gets, thus making surgery more difficult.......the sooner you get it fixed the better.

I heard one story of a guy waiting so long he could no longer pee standing up....

Comment

Does having a hernia surgery affect you prior to joining? Is there a time frame after the surgery is performed you have to wait before you join?

Comment

Originally posted by Bctorres View Post
              Does having a hernia surgery affect you prior to joining? Is there a time frame after the surgery is performed you have to wait before you join?
              There is no written rule, but MEPS doctors typically won't give a Med Read and/or approve an applicant for at least 6 months after a surgical procedure like that. I ran into something similar, but it only required a Med Read to show it was corrected and didn't require a waiver. You have to at least get the Med Read done before they can even project you back to MEPS to be screened.

Comment

Indeed, be aware of the 6 month rule for surgeries.

Comment

Can you explain more about the Med Read... how do I go about doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by Bctorres View Post
                    Can you explain more about the Med Read... how do I go about doing that?
                    If you have had something that pops up in AR 40-501 as disqualifying (like a hernia), they have to have something to show that you've had that corrected or fixed in order to clear you. This typically means some records from your doctor or surgeon and some type of letter stating they've evaluated you after the recommended recovery period and you have no physical limitations as a result.

Your recruiter then pushes those documents to MEPS who will do a Med Read of your packet (can take a while), but once they've done that then MEPS will allow your recruiter to project you back to MEPS for the normal doctor screening and sign-up process.

Comment

Working...
                    X