X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the guard.

Hey i'm wondering if joining the national guard is going to be any more difficult to join in a month than it is now. Iv'e been told that because of the war ending that getting recruited by any branch will be much harder a month from now. I don't know if that includes the National Guard or just the main branches. The reason i'm worried about this is because I really want to join the guard but i'm not going to be able to sign up until march 16th. For background information i'm 18 straight out of high school and looking to do the 8x8 active.

Re: Joining the guard.

coming from someone who went through this process a year ago, As long as you don't have anything wrong with your body or your head that would require a medical waiver you should be able to enlist without issue. Being able to get a job in the national guard that you would want or enjoy is a completely different story. It your meps date and the mos availability in your state. Most states are over strength right now.

the enlistment process takes a while. I would talk with one of the national guard recruiters in your town or at your school. That's always the best way to start. Talk it out with your parents too and keep them in the loop. Let them at least have some say in the matter, but the bottom line is that its your choice.
    Last edited by Jackal; February 23rd, 2013, 03:34 PM.

Comment

What do you mean by 8x8 active? You must be referring to 8 years drilling, 0 years on the IRR? There is no actual active/fulltime enlistment option. 6x2 is the minimum to serve to receive full benefits.
      Last edited by SteveLord; February 23rd, 2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Do not worry about the drawn down! It happened in the 90's and we all went to 'conflicts' with who ever was available. The good news is that the ARNG is aligned (or should/will be) for seamless-ness and interoperability. Which means that it is more costly to fund Active, than non active. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          What do you mean by 8x8 active? You must be referring to 8 years drilling, 0 years on the IRR? There is no actual active/fulltime enlistment option. 6x2 is the minimum to serve to receive full benefits.
          Yes sorry thats what I meant, 8 years drilling.

Comment

Thank you that was helpful. Im going to go ahead and talk to a recruiter about it soon. If it takes a little to get the ball rolling that just gives me time to add some needed weight and study my asvab.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
              The Guard is offering 16 year contracts now? Talking about making a deal with the devil lol. That must be some nice bonus in play.

Comment

Originally posted by kirktyler82 View Post
                Thank you that was helpful. Im going to go ahead and talk to a recruiter about it soon. If it takes a little to get the ball rolling that just gives me time to add some needed weight and study my asvab.
                If you are not prior service with re-codes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. dealing with recruiting; then you have nothing to worry about.
                Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 23rd, 2013, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Hey question im joining the national guard and my fiance is active army . Once we become married will i be able to follow him wherever he gets stationed

Comment

Hmmmm mabye....what if he gets stationed in Italy, Korea or somewhere else overseas? That's going to be a long flight every month....

Comment

Working...
                    X