X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I require some information please?

I got a letter in the mail today that was for Juniors and seniors in High school. For a scholarship and part-time job. I am in Ohio, if that info is needed...
    1. Anyway it says I would work 2 days per month
    2. I would get a full-ride college scholarship when I graduate high school
    3. 550-750 each month for spending money when I'm in college
    4. I don't need exp... They will train me
    5. They will pay me full time while training
    6. They would pay for the food, room, and board while they train me
    7. 2 days of work per month again.....
    8. A lot of high tech positions
    9. I would work in my hometown
    10. I would serve my community and fellow ohioans.
    11. Again 2 days per month
    12. I can start at age 17 and being a junior in high school

I was wondering how much of this would actually be true?

Also, what do they mean by a full-ride college scholarship?

What would training be like exactly? When would it be?

What would work for 2 days a month be like? give examples please?

Also, how long would I need to be part of the national guard for this? Could I just leave after I finish college?

Will I need to sign a contract for this?

Will I possibly be sent out into action?

Are there any health requirements just to participate?

Is there a certain length in time, of how many years I would get these college benefits? As I plan on 6.5 or less.

Also, what are their high-tech positions? As I wasn't notified.

Also, is it possible I can avoid Infantry? I do not, I repeat.. I do not want to have to use a gun unless I seriously have to. I mean... I don't really want to have to kill people, or make people fear me.
    Last edited by Nickod777; February 2nd, 2013, 09:52 PM. Reason: 1 question

Re: I require some information please?

Call a local recruiter or go to nationalguard.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nickod777 View Post
      I got a letter in the mail today that was for Juniors and seniors in High school. For a scholarship and part-time job. I am in Ohio, if that info is needed...
      1. Anyway it says I would work 2 days per month After initial training, yes you drill one weekend a month and then also two weeks in a row at some point during the year, usually during the summer. Employers/school are required to let you attend without negative impact.
      2. I would get a full-ride college scholarship when I graduate high school Basically, yes. There are many opportunities for college money. One way you have to stay within regulation for physical fitness test and height/weight and not be otherwise flagged.
      3. 550-750 each month for spending money when I'm in college Local recruiter can give you more info on this, but yes.
      4. I don't need exp... They will train me True. You do need a clean record for the most part and qualify physically.
      5. They will pay me full time while training When you train, you are paid.
      6. They would pay for the food, room, and board while they train me Initial training you will have a place to stay and be fed and such.
      7. 2 days of work per month again..... Yes, after initial training.
      8. A lot of high tech positions Sure.
      9. I would work in my hometown. Or nearby. You pick a job you want in the military and then look for openings. You decide if the job or location is more important. Generally most are part of a unit within about an hour of home.
      10. I would serve my community and fellow ohioans. Yes. The Guard has a duel mission. Serve your state and the country.
      11. Again 2 days per month Yep.
      12. I can start at age 17 and being a junior in high school With parents signature you can at 17, without you need to be 18.

I was wondering how much of this would actually be true? All true.

Also, what do they mean by a full-ride college scholarship?

What would training be like exactly? When would it be? You decide after you sign the dotted line, about what month you would like to leave for training. Basic is about ten weeks and then inidividual job training depends on the specific job you pick. Could be a few weeks to close to a year. I believe the average is about 6-12 weeks. You get up early, learn lots, sleep fast, do over.

What would work for 2 days a month be like? give examples please? Learning more about being a Soldier and your specific job.

Also, how long would I need to be part of the national guard for this? Could I just leave after I finish college? Every contract is eight years. You active drill for 3, 4, 5, or 6 years and make up the rest in Indiviual Inactive Reserves (you dont do much but availavle for being called up if necessary)

Will I need to sign a contract for this? Yes.

Will I possibly be sent out into action? Yes, that is the idea of the military.

Are there any health requirements just to participate? Yes.

Is there a certain length in time, of how many years I would get these college benefits? As I plan on 6.5 or less. Yes.

Also, what are their high-tech positions? As I wasn't notified.

Also, is it possible I can avoid Infantry? I do not, I repeat.. I do not want to have to use a gun unless I seriously have to. I mean... I don't really want to have to kill people, or make people fear me.

Comment

You seem to have interest in the military. You shall talk to your local recruiter to get more information. The letter doesn't do justice to your inquiries about the military. This forum will not give you all the answer you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtran View Post
          You seem to have interest in the military. You shall talk to your local recruiter to get more information. The letter doesn't do justice to your inquiries about the military. This forum will not give you all the answer you need.
          ok... I'll try to even find a local recruiter... Not sure where one would be at... There's an army recruiter nearby, but I doubt they would know anything about the national guard.

Comment

ok... I'll try to even find a local recruiter... Not sure where one would be at... There's an army recruiter nearby, but I doubt they would know anything about the national guard.
            You're right about that. Visit www.nationalguard.com/car.

You've asked a large number of questions, so it's rather daunting for anyone on this forum to deal with them all, particularly when many have already found answers and guidance already. I recommend spending a bit of time on this site reading older threads, and you'll develop some background knowledge that will serve you well in this process.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
              You're right about that. Visit www.nationalguard.com/car.

You've asked a large number of questions, so it's rather daunting for anyone on this forum to deal with them all, particularly when many have already found answers and guidance already. I recommend spending a bit of time on this site reading older threads, and you'll develop some background knowledge that will serve you well in this process.
              Rightly put sir. Recruiters are your go to people for the right information. The more you know!

Comment

I do not, I repeat.. I do not want to have to use a gun unless I seriously have to. I mean... I don't really want to have to kill people, or make people fear me.
                You need to look into a student loan, then.

Comment

Working...
                X