Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing about Esotropia waivers. Here's my story.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing about Esotropia waivers. Here's my story.

So I searched every where on the forums, but no one with esotropia (which is a slight outward lazy eye) had posted their experience getting a waiver. So, I'll sort of put in my experience (and still ongoing) here so if anyone has the same issue that I do then they'll hopefully feel a bit more prepared/enlightened for their own endeavors.

So, it all started with my trip to MEPS in Utah on November 9th 2012. As anyone, I was pretty stoked in getting my first step to doing something I truly want to do. I passed all of my physicals until I had the interview with the doc on site there. He looks at me and says, "Son, do you know you have esotropia?" I look at him with a surprised look and asked, "Eso-what?" Turns out I have esotropia! Never knew that I did, nor did even my own parents. So he PDQ'd me but still stamped a "waiver recommended" on my paper. So I get through the whole thing and get my papers to the liasion office and could not swear in that day. Bummer. I get back to the airport and come back home, to where my recruiter gets the memo about my condition. He sends the paper work up to NGB, which comes back requesting I get an eye consult (response time was about 2 months) to where I go get my consult the week after with the doctor giving my paper work some extra details to help my cause. My recruiter gets it and sends it to MEPS to which they give their "waiver recommended" stamp and now it is up again at NGB. The total waiting time for this whole ordeal has been around 3 months, but I'll get back to what happens to my waiver for you all!

Re: Nothing about Esotropia waivers. Here's my story.

Looks like you're getting a first hand taste of Hurry up and wait.

Comment

Pretty much. But hey, it's my future and if I want it bad I will do what I need to do to achieve it.

Comment

Originally posted by EsotropiaBoy View Post
        Pretty much. But hey, it's my future and if I want it bad I will do what I need to do to achieve it.
        That is the motivation the Army looks for. Keep at your recruiter and bug him until it gets done. If you push hard enough, you'll get it through. Keep at it!

Comment

According to the Medical Standards, Esotropia is a disqualification, but it sounds like it might be waiverable:

(3) Esotropia (378.0x), exotropia (378.1x), and hypertropia (378.31) [is a disqualification]: For entrance into
          Service academies and officer programs, the individual Military Services may set additional
          requirements. The Military Services shall determine special administrative criteria for
          assignment to certain specialties."

As others have stated, keep in touch with your recruiter. Unfortunately, there's not time frame for waivers so it's a big waiting game. Good luck!

Comment

Alrighty, so I got word back from my recruiter. Seems the NGB denied my waiver with an eye consult from the AF doctor. So my next plan of action is to get a 2nd opinion and then to contact my state's congressman in getting a letter of recommendation for a waiver. I really would like to join, and I have never had problems with my condition (hell I never even knew there was something wrong with my eyes besides wearing glasses) and I will go the distance to getting my butt in. Will post back when things change.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              According to the Medical Standards, Esotropia is a disqualification, but it sounds like it might be waiverable:

(3) Esotropia (378.0x), exotropia (378.1x), and hypertropia (378.31) [is a disqualification]: For entrance into
              Service academies and officer programs, the individual Military Services may set additional
              requirements. The Military Services shall determine special administrative criteria for
              assignment to certain specialties."

As others have stated, keep in touch with your recruiter. Unfortunately, there's not time frame for waivers so it's a big waiting game. Good luck!
              Out of curiosity, is it esotropia in general that is disqualifying? The MS I looked up at http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r40_501.pdf said the two, but commented that for ROTC and USMA the limitations were from 15 diopters and above. So, does it mean the condition is more lenient for officer candidates?

Thanks!

Comment

Is "Encopresis" waiverable? Misdiagnosed etc.

Comment

Originally posted by EsotropiaBoy View Post
                  Out of curiosity, is it esotropia in general that is disqualifying? The MS I looked up at http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r40_501.pdf said the two, but commented that for ROTC and USMA the limitations were from 15 diopters and above. So, does it mean the condition is more lenient for officer candidates?

Thanks!
                  To be clear, this is what you are referring to, correct?

"(3) Esotropia (378.0), and hypertropia (378.31). For entrance into the USMA or ROTC programs, the following
                  conditions are also disqualifying: esotropia of over 15 prism diopters; exotropia of over 10 prism diopters; hypertropia
                  of over 5 prism diopters."

I take this to mean that the condition, in general, is a disqualification, but that waivers are not entirely out of the question. The specifics on ROTC and USMA further clarify what is not waiverable for these programs. Admittedly, I don't know enough about eyes to speak of how lenient this is for Officers. What I can say is that I have observed that most medical standards are a bit more strict for Officers. Overall, I would encourage you to refer talk to your recruiter/MEPS doctor to determine if you meet the standards and/or are able to get a waiver. It never hurts to ask!

Comment

I went through almost the same thing, I had my job in place 68E and all ready to join. The doctor asked me why I wore glasses, I said I have a lazy eye, and this is when this mess occurred. He examined me himself and requested a waiver from the National Guard Bureau, after about a month we heard back. They wanted more information. I was taken to the VA a month later and got my eyes examined, officially diagnosed with Estropia (never heard of it) and it only crossed at 12 Prism Diopters. Heard back today and went to the doctors 2 weeks ago and my waiver was denied. My next step is a second opinion with my eye doctor or to try Army Active Duty since there are different doctors, I was so upset by the news. I really would love to serve this country but this isn't going all in my favor

Comment

Working...
                    X