X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current USMC looking to go Guard after EAS, Medical questions

I currently have a little under two years remaining on contract (10 years at EAS). I would like to join the SC Guard when my time is up. I know this is a little ways a way, but what kind of medical waivers are being approved at this time? I have been diagnosed with TBI from a IED in Afghanistan. It has no effect on daily living or my ability to function in the Marine Corps. The one that could bar me is I had back surgery fusing two vertebrae. I've already fought off PEB to stay active, just wondering if this will be problematic for joining the Guard. I'd have no issues reenlisting, but I know retention is a lot less stringent than joining a new service. Thanks for any help you can offer.

EDIT: I have spoken to two different recruiters, both just told me no way. One quoted a requirement of having no more than a 30% VA disability rating. I have read what I believe to be the regulations governing enlistment (AR 601-210 and AR 40-501) and the only mention I can find on disability ratings are regarding DOD ratings for medical discharge.
    Last edited by Butler0341; January 27th, 2013, 02:42 PM. Reason: Additional info added

Re: Current USMC looking to go Guard after EAS, Medical questions

Originally posted by Butler0341 View Post
    I currently have a little under two years remaining on contract (10 years at EAS). I would like to join the SC Guard when my time is up. I know this is a little ways a way, but what kind of medical waivers are being approved at this time? I have been diagnosed with TBI from a IED in Afghanistan. It has no effect on daily living or my ability to function in the Marine Corps. The one that could bar me is I had back surgery fusing two vertebrae. I've already fought off PEB to stay active, just wondering if this will be problematic for joining the Guard. I'd have no issues reenlisting, but I know retention is a lot less stringent than joining a new service. Thanks for any help you can offer.

EDIT: I have spoken to two different recruiters, both just told me no way. One quoted a requirement of having no more than a 30% VA disability rating. I have read what I believe to be the regulations governing enlistment (AR 601-210 and AR 40-501) and the only mention I can find on disability ratings are regarding DOD ratings for medical discharge.
    Recruiters always confuse the VA rating with the DOD rating. 30 percent from the va only is not an automatic dq. The hard part is making them understand that.

Comment

Have you thought about the Marine Reserves?

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        Recruiters always confuse the VA rating with the DOD rating. 30 percent from the va only is not an automatic dq. The hard part is making them understand that.
        That's what I've run into. They don't seem to understand the difference.

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
        Have you thought about the Marine Reserves?
        I'm just keeping all my options open. The SCARNG has more education benefits. The Marine Reserve doesn't even offer tuition assistance.

Comment

Working...
        X