X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd situation?

I'm from the United Kingdom, arrived here last year after marrying my US wife who is currently active duty. I'm looking at joining the national guard seeing as I am ex British military. I am currently a legal resident of the US, was just wondering if and what I would require to join, if there is any barriers I would need to overcome due to my home country and not yet being a US citizen (I was told if I was to join the US military I could obtain this faster)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Odd situation?

Originally posted by OB382 View Post
    I'm from the United Kingdom, arrived here last year after marrying my US wife who is currently active duty. I'm looking at joining the national guard seeing as I am ex British military. I am currently a legal resident of the US, was just wondering if and what I would require to join, if there is any barriers I would need to overcome due to my home country and not yet being a US citizen (I was told if I was to join the US military I could obtain this faster)

You will have only select jobs you qualify for because you won't be able to qualify for security clearance as a non citizen. Other than that, assuming there are no other issues you wouldn't have a problem being from UK.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      You will have only select jobs you qualify for because you won't be able to qualify for security clearance as a non citizen. Other than that, assuming there are no other issues you wouldn't have a problem being from UK.
      Thanks for that info, I thought that would deff be an issue.

Comment

Thanks for that info, I thought that would deff be an issue.
        But, after re reading your post, doesn't marriage to a US citizen give you citizenship? I am no citizenship expert, but I always thought that. Or does that just let you stay here legally?

Comment

But, after re reading your post, doesn't marriage to a US citizen give you citizenship? I am no citizenship expert, but I always thought that. Or does that just let you stay here legally?
          No not anymore, it gives you legal residency in the US, you then have to wait 2-3 years to then apply for citizenship, but as I mentioned it can get expedited if I wanted to join the US military. I just looked at the ANG and it states there that you can be a legal resident and apply to join, but as you said its more than likely only select jobs.

Comment

No not anymore, it gives you legal residency in the US, you then have to wait 2-3 years to then apply for citizenship, but as I mentioned it can get expedited if I wanted to join the US military. I just looked at the ANG and it states there that you can be a legal resident and apply to join, but as you said its more than likely only select jobs.
            Thats interesting because everyone in the air force must have a clearance. I know you can join, but now I am unsure of what I thought I knew. There is a guy who posts on here named showstopper who is the resident security clerance expert. Look him up and send him a private message.

Comment

Thats interesting because everyone in the air force must have a clearance. I know you can join, but now I am unsure of what I thought I knew. There is a guy who posts on here named showstopper who is the resident security clerance expert. Look him up and send him a private message.
              I find it interesting and confusing that everyone in the Air Force needs a Secret Clearance yet non citizens can join. How can a non citizen get a clearance? They can't but yet they can join the Air Force???

Comment

Cheers, ill look out for him. I never knew everyone in the AF needed security clearance, and yes I can see that its strange a non-us citizen can join due to that fact. I got a contact I emailed as well ref my situation, just waiting for a reply from her. Also meant to get a phone call from a ANG rep tomorrow morning, hopefully they can shed some light.

Comment

He's on vacation for the next ~ 2 weeks.

Comment

Yes, you can definitely gain your citizenship faster. I had a good UK chap in my platoon at BCT actually that did this. They gave several people throughout our Company and Battalion a chance to study for and take the US citizenship test at BCT. They took the oath and became citizens just before graduation. I hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
                    X