Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfit for Service (Medical) but still allowed to Join?

A friend of mine is planning, well, going to MEPS in Amarillo soon for her screening and testing (Army Nat. Guard) and I have a few concerns. How? and Why? would the military allow a person with her Mental Health issues be able to make it this far into the process? Is there no Medical Background Check? Now, I'm not talking mild depression, I'm talking the works, InPatient Treatment, Mood Swings, Depression, Anxiety. She's also only been off her meds for maybe a week or two. Obviously, the Recuiter is unaware of her previous medical conditions and that has me worried.

Had she honestly disclosed this information in her initial meetings with the Recuiter I know she would have been DQed from the beginning. Also, all of these diagnosis and such are recent too (6 months) not sure if that matters. As a friend I don't want to pass judgement on her but she is a mental time bomb who can 'pretend' to be normal but in stressful situations she falls apart and resorts to extreme acts of childish anger and "Hell hath no Furry" mode.

BTW, The field/s she is planning on going in in EMT/Medic and or MP, from the last I heard, depending on positions avail.

I'm just really concerned for her safety and others. Should I do anything other than talking to her or let the Military handle it from here and wish her well?

Re: Unfit for Service (Medical) but still allowed to Join?

I'm not sure what answer you are really expecting here. You are already aware that the military has mental health standards, so I can't tell you anything different on this. It really comes down to whether or not you have a moral obligation to tell her recruiter, and I refuse to get into moral discussions of this matter as they are highly subjective. Consider, though, that there may be more to her medical history that you DON"T know about, and assuming that she doesn't meet the requirements may be just that, an assumption. Since YOU are not the recruit or a recruiter, I would caution jumping to judgements. Unless you concrete concerns that your friend would seriously harm herself or other Soldiers, it might be better to just let the recruiter do their job.

Comment

Originally posted by Expy2000 View Post
      Is there no Medical Background Check?
      Medical information does not get stored into one single depository like criminal records. The military has no way to check, and also is forbidden from doing so by HIPPA laws. If you reveal someone elses medical conditions to someone without their proper autorization, you youself could be in violation of those laws also. The military only knows what you tell them, or what can be discovered in the physical exam.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        The military has no way to check, and also is forbidden from doing so by HIPPA laws.
        When joining you sign a form permitting the military to access your medical records from providers. The military has the authority to do so, they just don't because (as you pointed out) there is no easy way to do so because there is no central records system.
        Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        If you reveal someone elses medical conditions to someone without their proper autorization, you youself could be in violation of those laws also.
        No. HIPPA only applies to covered entities, which are healthcare-related companies and their employees. A friend talking about a friend's medical condition has nothing to do with HIPPA.

This is how this will likely play out, assuming the OP is characterizing this correctly. She'll join, during the stressors of basic she'll have a breakdown (there's a reason people with inpatient psych hospitalizations aren't permitted to join), she'll be medically discharged, then we'll take care of her healthcare for life at the VA. Loverly...

Comment

Working...
        X