X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and wanting to learn more

Hello, I am unfamilar with what the national guard it apparently. In looking into in I am a little confused as the difference between NG and Reserves. Can someone please explain this to me? I really want to do somethine more with my life and unfortunatly I was in a car accident and will not make age requirements for what I was going to do (diff branch..) Thank you all for your time.

Re: New and wanting to learn more

Originally posted by CLR View Post
    Hello, I am unfamilar with what the national guard it apparently. In looking into in I am a little confused as the difference between NG and Reserves. Can someone please explain this to me? I really want to do somethine more with my life and unfortunatly I was in a car accident and will not make age requirements for what I was going to do (diff branch..) Thank you all for your time.
    In short; they are both "reserves" of the Army. The Army Reserves is controlled soley by the federal government. The National Guard is controlled by the state/terrirtory unless called into service by the federal government. Both organizations advertise the "one weekend a month two weeks a year" campaign. Both organizations attend the same types of regular army training.

The three biggest keys and most important parts of deciding between the two are:

1. if you are joining for education benefits stop considering the Army reserves now. The guard ALMOST always has better education benefits. It will depend on your state (identify your state and I can tell you more)

2. The army reserves has ALMOST zero combat arms. So if you are interested in infantry and so fourth, again, stop looking at the reserves now.

3. The reserves is one organization, whereas the guard, technically there are 54 of them. If you are someone that frequenlty moves, the reserves is an easier place to be....while still considering the impacts of points 1 and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      In short; they are both "reserves" of the Army. The Army Reserves is controlled soley by the federal government. The National Guard is controlled by the state/terrirtory unless called into service by the federal government. Both organizations advertise the "one weekend a month two weeks a year" campaign. Both organizations attend the same types of regular army training.

The three biggest keys and most important parts of deciding between the two are:

1. if you are joining for education benefits stop considering the Army reserves now. The guard ALMOST always has better education benefits. It will depend on your state (identify your state and I can tell you more)

2. The army reserves has ALMOST zero combat arms. So if you are interested in infantry and so fourth, again, stop looking at the reserves now.

3. The reserves is one organization, whereas the guard, technically there are 54 of them. If you are someone that frequenlty moves, the reserves is an easier place to be....while still considering the impacts of points 1 and 2.

I am located in California. I was looking into joiningas a career. Not still working where I leave but rather joining and working in a career in the military. If that makes since. We have a son and I want the best for him as he grows up.

Comment

Originally posted by CLR View Post
        I am located in California. I was looking into joiningas a career. Not still working where I leave but rather joining and working in a career in the military. If that makes since. We have a son and I want the best for him as he grows up.
        If you want a full time job, you need to look at the regular army, and forget about the Guard/reserve.

Comment

I'm also want to know what's the minimum height requirement for joining in the army ?

Comment

Originally posted by devonte View Post
            I'm also want to know what's the minimum height requirement for joining in the army ?
            You can find this information by looking at the National Guard's fitness calculator.

Comment

Last I remember, California was one of the least supportive states in term of Guard tuition/education.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                You can find this information by looking at the National Guard's fitness calculator.
                Thanks it will help me a lot.

Comment

Working...
                X