Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owe collection money, can I still enlist?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owe collection money, can I still enlist?

Like the title states, I owe a collection agency roughly about another $1,XXX amount. Am I still able to enlist? The money is not owed to the court anymore, they just sent it over to collections, I am currently making payments to get it paid off.

Thanks for your guys time!

Re: Owe collection money, can I still enlist?

Originally posted by sida_bin View Post
    Like the title states, I owe a collection agency roughly about another $1,XXX amount. Am I still able to enlist? The money is not owed to the court anymore, they just sent it over to collections, I am currently making payments to get it paid off.

Thanks for your guys time!
    Financial situations will not necessarily prevent an enlistment, but may prevent certain jobs since finances is a major area of concern for security clearances. However, it isn't really about what you owe as much as it is about what is on your credit report. Not all collections are reported. What exactly is this debt for, why is a court involved, and is it on your credit reports are the big three questions.

Comment

Thanks staff sarge!

Apparently when I was a little lad, haha about the age of 18 I got a traffic ticket and never taken care of it(my mistake). I honestly forgot about it and it just now came to my attention.

Pretty much my traffic ticket got sent from the courthouse to a collection agency. Iv talked with my recruiter and he asks if I owe money to the court I answered, no. My answer being no because I was not aware of the whole collection ordeal, and I just did some digging through old paperwork/court files/etc. hence to why it just came up.

I'm sorry if that didnt make any sense?
      Maybe I shall give my recruiter a call in a little bit.

And again, Thank You Sarge.

Comment

Thanks staff sarge!

Apparently when I was a little lad, haha about the age of 18 I got a traffic ticket and never taken care of it(my mistake). I honestly forgot about it and it just now came to my attention.

Pretty much my traffic ticket got sent from the courthouse to a collection agency. Iv talked with my recruiter and he asks if I owe money to the court I answered, no. My answer being no because I was not aware of the whole collection ordeal, and I just did some digging through old paperwork/court files/etc. hence to why it just came up.

I'm sorry if that didnt make any sense?
        Maybe I shall give my recruiter a call in a little bit.

And again, Thank You Sarge.
        Being that it is an unpaid ticket, that will technically stop you from enlisting. You need to find out who owns the debt. You cannot simoultaneously owe the court and the collection agency, it is only one or the other. Also, pull your credit reports at annualcreditreport.com and see what it shows. Who knows, you may be surprised at other things that maybe on there.

Comment

so I checked through annualcreditreport , it seems I owe three different agencies that I was we'll unaware of until now! However, it's not the amount that I thought it was($1,xxx).

The first one was sent to collections from tmobile, which I never had service with them. Fraud maybe? That's $400
          Second was sent to collections from Pierce County District Court, that's $300.
          Third was sent to collections from Multicare Urgent Care, that's $63

Now, I believe I owe more than just those to be honest. Is that website accurate? I feel like I need more info on my credit now. This is my very first time running these reports.

Comment

so I checked through annualcreditreport , it seems I owe three different agencies that I was we'll unaware of until now! However, it's not the amount that I thought it was($1,xxx).

The first one was sent to collections from tmobile, which I never had service with them. Fraud maybe? That's $400
            Second was sent to collections from Pierce County District Court, that's $300.
            Third was sent to collections from Multicare Urgent Care, that's $63

Now, I believe I owe more than just those to be honest. Is that website accurate? I feel like I need more info on my credit now. This is my very first time running these reports.
            It has nothing to do with the website and everything to do with what is being reported to your credit bureau. No matter where you pulled you credit, it would show the same. However Annualcreditreport.com is free once a year.

Ensure you pull one through that website from all three bureaus; not every company reports to all three. There may be more or less noted on anothers.

Now, listen closely.......

If there is some time between now until when you would actually enlist and move forward in processing, do not pay these items. Dispute them first. Even if you pay them, they will remain a negative entry on your report. It is much better to attempt to remove them.

Contrary to popular belief, whether these are your debts or not, you can dispute them. Use the electronic links on the credit report you pulled to dispute each item. When disputing DO NOT attempt to offer any explanation. Let me repeat that DO NOT attempt to offer any excuses or explanation. Simply dispute them with a reason of "other" and "Please verify item". Or, if there is no other option (like on equifax) dispute them by selecting "not your account", these choices will offer the greatest probability of them being removed.s

Comment

Working...
            X