X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of alcohol abuse. Can I join?

I drank heavily in my 20's. I had a DUI at age 28. I'm 32 now and have been completely sober for 3 years. I've found faith/strength in God, attend AA meetings regularly, and have completely turned my life around. I have a good job and I'm a responsible/respectable man. If needed, I could provide many personal and professional references about my character.

Do you think I can join the guard? I'm interested in an LRS unit. I don't want to lie about my past alcohol abuse. I value honesty and have nothing to hide. Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for your service.

Re: History of alcohol abuse. Can I join?

Originally posted by warrior27 View Post
    I drank heavily in my 20's. I had a DUI at age 28. I'm 32 now and have been completely sober for 3 years. I've found faith/strength in God, attend AA meetings regularly, and have completely turned my life around. I have a good job and I'm a responsible/respectable man. If needed, I could provide many personal and professional references about my character.

Do you think I can join the guard? I'm interested in an LRS unit. I don't want to lie about my past alcohol abuse. I value honesty and have nothing to hide. Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for your service.
    I will get scolded for this question but just go with the flow....

What state was your DUI in?

Comment

This profession can lead to drinking again.

Comment

ParalegalNCO1, it was in California. I am a Texas resident and would most likely want to join a Texas unit.

Comment

Originally posted by warrior27 View Post
          ParalegalNCO1, it was in California. I am a Texas resident and would most likely want to join a Texas unit.
          Sorry, for the most part that will be a problem. Generically speaking, alcohol and drug offenses are disqualifying with waivers suspended. Your only hope is to find a recruiter who will work a waiver with you.

Comment

ParalegalNCO1,

Thanks for the intel. I will find a recruiter willing to attempt a waiver. Hopefully a written statement from me, character references, and an in person interview will present a convincing case.

Comment

Working...
            X