X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Security Clearance

Does anyone know ABOUT how long it is taking right now to get a secret security clearance?
    Also, who does the clearances for the military and do they make the final determination or does the branch you are enlisted with make the final determination?

Re: Secret Security Clearance

I know it all depends so I am just looking at an average time frame.
    I am wondering if I will have an answer by my first drill January 19-20th - my clearance paperwork was submitted December 19, 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
      I know it all depends so I am just looking at an average time frame.
      I am wondering if I will have an answer by my first drill January 19-20th - my clearance paperwork was submitted December 19, 2012.
      Highly unlikely. I got mine in 2007 and I had/have a clean record and good credit. It took 8 months. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
        Highly unlikely. I got mine in 2007 and I had/have a clean record and good credit. It took 8 months. YMMV.
        I have a clean record other then credit - but I am in a debt consolidation program and have a plan. I can't get a date for basic until my clearance gets to a certain point before they can schedule my ship date (ANG). I guess once it is at that point it is assumed your clearance will be approved.

Thank you for your input jwarren.
        Last edited by robinpugs06; January 4th, 2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
          I have a clean record other then credit - but I am in a debt consolidation program and have a plan. I can't get a date for basic until my clearance gets to a certain point before they can schedule my ship date (ANG). I guess once it is at that point it is assumed your clearance will be approved.

Thank you for your input jwarren.
          Just make sure you figure out what's going to happen if it gets denied (assuming it isn't approved before you ship). I didn't require a clearance for my enlisted MOS but we shared a barracks with air defense artillery trainees and I remember some of their horror stories after having attended months of AIT only to have their clearances denied. Most of them wound up reclassing into my MOS (88M).

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
            Just make sure you figure out what's going to happen if it gets denied (assuming it isn't approved before you ship). I didn't require a clearance for my enlisted MOS but we shared a barracks with air defense artillery trainees and I remember some of their horror stories after having attended months of AIT only to have their clearances denied. Most of them wound up reclassing into my MOS (88M).
            Ya, I have been trying to find that out because everyone in the AF/ANG requires a secret clearance. My recruiter keeps saying not to worry about it and won't tell me what will happen if my clearance is denied - I am assuming I would be discharged. I guess I just sit and wait and hope for the best.

Comment

If your waiver was approved under ngb cant you switch to the army national guard an just get an admin mos? Something without a S.C

Comment

Originally posted by Focused11 View Post
                If your waiver was approved under ngb cant you switch to the army national guard an just get an admin mos? Something without a S.C
                Air National Guard and Army National Guard are two separate entities so it isn't that easy. I am pretty sure I would have to be discharged from the ANG and then hope my discharge is waiverable for the ARNG. I don't think you can just transfer.
                Last edited by robinpugs06; January 4th, 2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Im pretty sure you can.. i suppose

Comment

No interim for secret?

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      No interim for secret?
                      I was wondering that. I talked to my recruiter today who thinks I am paranoid for no reason he didn't call it an interim but he said once the clearance gets to a certain point the Security Manager can sign off for me to set up my ship date. I guess once it gets to that point (he said it takes a few weeks) they are pretty certain you well be granted the clearance (if it is favorable at that point obviously).

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input. If anyone else has anything to add then please do!
                        I guess it is just a waiting game now. My recruiter told me to stop being paranoid about it. He said getting through MEPS is more difficult then getting my clearance. I don't really believe that but he has been great so I am trying to believe him.
                        The whole process over the last year has been a lot of waiting. I had to wait for MEPS to decide if I could physical, got denied, had to wait for SG to approve me to physical, had to wait to get my weight down, got PDQed at MEPS, had to wait for my waiver to get approved, had to wait to enlist, now I have to wait to see if my clearance will be approved. I know - welcome to the military - HURRY UP AND WAIT! I just don't want anything to mess up this last part. So, I am sorry if I am asking a lot of questions - the last year has been a roller coaster. I just want to know I am good to go and celebrate and get ready to ship and not have to worry anymore.
                        Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                          No interim for secret?
                          In 2008 when I applied for my clearance there was an interim for secret. That only took 2-3 weeks to process and I then shipped to Iraq to work in the S6. The final investigation didn't clear until about 8 months later.

With the economy the way it is I'd assume that the DoD and DISCO are looking at credit as much as criminal history. Credit problems can indicate a "need for money". This is when people start selling government secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by hustlin_moe20 View Post

With the economy the way it is I'd assume that the DoD and DISCO are looking at credit as much as criminal history. Credit problems can indicate a "need for money". This is when people start selling government secrets.
                            My Security manager put it differently. She said, with the economy the way it is they look at credit differently then in the past because more and more people are having credit issues. She said they are more understanding and put into account the economy and the circumstances for your credit issues - like being laid off, the mortgage and housing crisis, etc. Direct quote from the SM in an email to me: "a lot of people are having credit and financial issues and they seem to be okay with it as long as the person is making effort to resolve it." I hope she is right!!!

I don't think I could even get an interim security clearance. I read that the denial rate for final security clearances is only about 1%; whereas, the declination rate for interim security clearances has been about 20% to 30%. For applicants with unfavorable information in their personal histories (mine would be credit). Then I read "it’s necessary to mitigate this information at the clearance application stage of the process in order to receive an interim clearance." What does that mean?
                            I also read "DISCO automatically considers all applications for an interim clearance, which usually only takes a few days after the application is received by them. If you are not granted an interim clearance within a week after your application is submitted to DISCO, it means you were not granted an interim." Mine was sent out by my SM on the 19th, probably took a few days to be received, then their was Christmas and New Years so I am not sure if that time period has elapsed or if I still have a chance for an interim?

I gave them tons of supporting documents to show that I have a debt consolidation program in place with all my bad debts included on it, documents that show paid off accounts, accounts that were removed, etc, as well as a letter explaining my bad debt (being laid off a few times as well as taking low paying jobs just to have some income above what unemployment was paying) as well as my plan to resolve my debt - including completely paying it all off with the first half of my bonus.

Thanks again for everyone's input and for not getting rude or uppity like they tend to do on the AF Forum
                            Last edited by robinpugs06; January 5th, 2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

First I have to admit I did not read all the posts in this thread. You do not need to have yours granted while you are at training, it can happen afterwards. They do grant you basically a temporary one after it gets to a certain point. I look at them often when I review the BNs NGB 22s (Guard version of a 214 pretty much) to verify when they were granted to fill in a blank on the form and as you can imagine it varies it can take anywhere from four months to much longer when I see when it was initiated and when it had been approved. Mine six+ years ago took nine months. I know you are looking for more current information but that doesnt matter so much, as there are so many reasons why the time frame varies and doesnt really have to do with enlistment rates.

Not that I like to admit this on here, but I had some deliquent bills and my credit check didnt look great and I was fine. They are concerned about income versus bills you pay monthly if your financial record sends up a red flag and they look into your case more and have an interview with you. And having a plan for overdue bills. Thats really about it. I worried way more about it than I found out was necessary.

And whoever said go into an Admin MOS is wrong. We deal with sensitive info often and need a clearance. The ones without can not do the full job of a 42A, especially in a deployment environment.

Comment

Working...
                              X