X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -30lbs in 4months 30lb to go

Im still overweight by weight/height standards, 5'7 at 205lbs. Through diet and excercise ive been able to drop over 30lbs in about 4 months. Seeing the transformation is keeping me going. My question is when should i contact a recruiter? Should I do it when im closer to meeting weight? Also, should add that i turned 32 3 months ago. Ive wanted to join out of high school but parents didnt think i was ready and wanted me to complete college. After graduating, i met with a recruiter and was told the weight was an issue. I got discouraged and forgot about it, until last summer. Its really been something ive wanted since i was a kid and now my window is closing.

Re: -30lbs in 4months 30lb to go

Congratulations on the progress you've made with your weight loss! That's a huge accomplishment!

Unless you have a lot of questions, I would recommend waiting until you are a bit closer to your ideal weight. The recruiter won't be able to do much towards your enlistment until you meet the standards. Also, the cut off age is 35, so you still have some time.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. Definitely encouraging

Comment

That's awesome! Keep up the good work....I'm also on a journey to make weight or at least beat the tape test.

It's great to see others being successful on their quest.

Comment

Inspirational! I'm 5"9 and around 200-205 so I need to drop a good twenty too. My recruiter thinks I'll make tape though but I need to get busy anyway.

Comment

Congratulations on the weight loss.

I might recommend you contact a Recruiter and ask them to tape you and see where your body fat percentage is currently. You may be closer than you think and the fact that you're 32, you're authorized a bit more. Off the top of my head I believe it's either 27% or 28%.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
              Congratulations on the weight loss.

I might recommend you contact a Recruiter and ask them to tape you and see where your body fat percentage is currently. You may be closer than you think and the fact that you're 32, you're authorized a bit more. Off the top of my head I believe it's either 27% or 28%.
              Yup. For males between 28-39, the allowable body fat percentage for non-prior service applicants is 28%. That means, OP, you need to get down to approximately 179 lbs as a max weight. Here's how I got that information: Fitness calculator

Comment

I do not how much this will help, but I stopped eating animal products and lost 14 pounds in year. ( Disclaimer: Was not my intention to lose weight.)

Comment

congratulations

Comment

Congrats! I'm 5' 6 1/2" @ 199 and at 27%. I need 26% to enlist. I dropped 6lbs in a week through exercise and dieting. Although we are overweight, if we make tape we should be all good. BCT will make us lose the weight anyways. They told me if I'm at a good 190, I should have nothing to worry about. Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks. To date I'm down 40. Another 10-15 and ill go see the recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Qwerty#99 View Post
                        Thanks. To date I'm down 40. Another 10-15 and ill go see the recruiter.
                        Great! Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Got myself to 180 going to my first visit with my recruiter in an hour. Still 5lbs from the max weight but alot closer. Excited to get the process started.

Comment

A good show of faith to your dedication to enter the service. I definitely commend you. If and when you get in, and you ever make it to a position of leadership, make sure to share your story with your soldiers. It can be an inspiration to drive on.

My weight loss story wasn't directly tied to my service but it still serves to inspire others to this day. I've also been helping a few fellow candidates get trim to help with their overall fitness. It's been nearly 4-5 years ago now, but I lost over 100 lbs. in about a year and a half, first through diet then through exercise. And now I'm fit and maintain a healthy weight around 165-170. I am in-between 5'8"-5'9", so I'm in the same bracket you are.

The goal is achievable so keep on pushing, you'll get there!

Comment

Originally posted by Qwerty#99 View Post
                              Got myself to 180 going to my first visit with my recruiter in an hour. Still 5lbs from the max weight but alot closer. Excited to get the process started.
                              You're well on your way then. Don't even sweat it as you can get taped & pass easily.

I was 5#'s over the max allowable when I processed through MEPS and passed tape without any issues. Now the trick is to RSP and get in better shape as well as shoot for the normal standard of 24% (my age group) or better.

Comment

Working...
                              X