X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Lasik Question

I did a search for Lasik and couldn't find something that fit my situation.

I went through MEPS in the summer. I got DQ'd temporarily and had to wait several months to join for an unrelated medical reason. In the meantime while I was waiting these months, I decided to have LASIK surgery as the thought of bringing my glasses to BCT and OCS doesn't seem ideal. Surgery went great and I have 20/15 vision now and did it at a very reputable surgeon.

What will happen now that I already went through MEPS? I'm assuming something along the way of I will have to rego to MEPS for them to check out my eyes and have to fill out paperwork? Also how long after surgery are you unable to join for? I'm sure there is a resting period they will want.

I know I should ask my recruiter, he is away on vacation now and was hoping to find some answers on here in the meantime.

Thanks!

Re: Another Lasik Question

You can expect that you'll need to show documentation for your recent surgery. There is a required 6 month recovery period for this type of procedure. Also, there's a long list of other requirements that would take up a lot of space on here if I were to cut and paste. For more details, please refer to AR 40-501, 2-12 page 8-9.

Comment

Should've did it after you were already in, NG would've paid for it too. Not exactly Lasik but other eye correction surgury

Comment

Please elaborate on how the NG will pay for eye correction surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
          Please elaborate on how the NG will pay for eye correction surgery.
          My recruiter said he got it done through the guard, I may have been wrong please disregard what I said. Apologies if I misled anyone.

Comment

The last time I had inquired about the Army funding eye corrective surgeries, you had to be on Active Duty orders of at least 18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
              The last time I had inquired about the Army funding eye corrective surgeries, you had to be on Active Duty orders of at least 18 months.
              I forget the specifics as well, but it's something along the lines of what Paralegal said when I inquired about it with the Marines. Not that it matters much since I won't be AD NG. But also like I said, it's worth it to me to not wear glasses duing BCT and OCS to pay the money.

Also from what I heard it gets done from an army doctor. Not to be disrespectful to the Army whatsoever, but the place I went to is extremely reputable. I wouldn't want someone I don't know about zapping my eyes, especially with something so sensitive as my eyes.

Comment

Hmm.. Talked to my recruiter today and mentioned the Lasik. He said I don't have to mention anything to the MEPS people and I just had to get cleared for the other medical condition since I already took my eye exam. It was a quick conversatio, but I restated my question several times to ensure he understood me. This doesn't seem right, but I will definetely get a few other opinions on this.

Comment

Working...
                X