X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it?

This past year I tried to join the Navy. well I chose to be honest about my childhood asthma (I had 1 asthma attack when I was 4 years old and had breathing issues UNTIL I was 11 then I got off my inhaler). It's allergy induced, not exercise. I've never had problems since I was 11, however I picked up a bad habit and I am actually a 2 weeks clean from cigarettes. When I took the palumonary test I passed but it showed bronchial reactivity, my officers tried for a waiver but the Doc said no. I was thinking of maybe joining a different branch (NG ) and try and get tests from a real allergist to run tests and to measure where its at. Then maybe my recruiter and I can sweet talk the Doc. I honestly think the only reason it showed anything is because of the D*mn cigarrettes. I really don't like giving up things but is there a slight chance of me getting in? And don't please don't warn me on the dangers of asthma magically coming up for no apparent reason or anything related to any consqequences because I'll ignore it. Or maybe this is one goal that can't be kicked?

Re: Is it worth it?

Based on what you've posted, I would say getting a second opinion would be in your favor. Here's what AR DoDi 6301.03 says about Asthma:

"d. Airway hyper responsiveness including asthma (493.xx), reactive airway disease,
    exercise-induced bronchospasm (519.11) or asthmatic bronchitis (493.90), reliably diagnosed
    and symptomatic after the 13th birthday [is a disqualification].
    (1) Reliable diagnostic criteria may include any of the following elements: substantiated
    history of cough, wheeze, chest tightness, and/or dyspnea which persists or recurs over a
    prolonged period of time, generally more than 12 months.
    (2) Individuals DO MEET the standard if within the past 3 years they meet ALL of the
    criteria in subparagraphs 11.d.(2)(a)-(d).

(a) No use of controller or rescue medications (including, but not limited to inhaled
    corticosteroids, leukotriene receptor antagonists, or short-acting beta agonists).
    (b) No exacerbations requiring acute medical treatment.
    (c) No use of oral steroids.
    (d) A current normal spirometry (within the past 90 days), performed in accordance
    with American Thoracic Society (ATS) guidelines and as defined by current National Heart,
    Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) standards."

Talk to your recruiter for more details on what medical documents you'll need, etc. Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
    X