X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My parents questions

I talked to my mom tonight about joining the National Guard. She's not very happy with the idea, and brought up some questions.

1. After completing BCT can you be called into combat before you finish AIT?

2. With where we are in the War right now, what is the chances of going oversea as having just joined the National Guard?

3. My mom says that with my height (I'm 6 feet) and would be taller then most women out there, and would make myself more of a target. I said what about the 6 foot, 2 inch guy standing next to me.
    Does height really make a difference?

I want have more questions later.

Re: My parents questions

Originally posted by thinkingguard View Post
    I talked to my mom tonight about joining the National Guard. She's not very happy with the idea, and brought up some questions.

1. After completing BCT can you be called into combat before you finish AIT?

2. With where we are in the War right now, what is the chances of going oversea as having just joined the National Guard?

3. My mom says that with my height (I'm 6 feet) and would be taller then most women out there, and would make myself more of a target. I said what about the 6 foot, 2 inch guy standing next to me.
    Does height really make a difference?

I want have more questions later.
    1. No

2. Not as likely as a few years ago, but still a significant possibility.

3. No. That's ridiculous.

...parents always take this "you'll die in combat route"...which is also ridiculous. It is incredibly more dangerous to drive a car on an American highway, yet noones parent ever denies their child getting a license, they are usually happy for them. You don't join today and get shot at tomorrow, tell her not to watch so much CNN.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      ...You don't join today and get shot at tomorrow, tell her not to watch so much CNN.
      That's more like white & blue phase in BCT during day or night LFX...

So it'll take a good 5-7 weeks...

Comment

1. No

2. Not as likely as a few years ago, but still a significant possibility.

3. No. That's ridiculous.

...parents always take this "you'll die in combat route"...which is also ridiculous. It is incredibly more dangerous to drive a car on an American highway, yet noones parent ever denies their child getting a license, they are usually happy for them. You don't join today and get shot at tomorrow, tell her not to watch so much CNN.
        Also wouldn't deployment depend on the mos and unit she goes to?

Comment

Originally posted by iTwitchE View Post
          Also wouldn't deployment depend on the mos and unit she goes to?
          No. Deployment doesn't drive what MOS you enlist in to.

While rotation cycle "could" drive what openings are available in a particular state, more often than not it's not the case. It just depends on what vacancies are available at units in your state at the time of enlistment, what you qualify for from your ASVAB and physical ratings/limitations, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
            No. Deployment doesn't drive what MOS you enlist in to.
            You have the cause and effect reversed. The question was "wouldn't deployment depend on the MOS and unit she goes to?"

The answer is that soldiers typically deploy with their respective units, and those deployments are on some sort of schedule. There is also a possibility of being yanked out of a unit in order to fill a vacancy with another deploying unit (as I was).

Typically, I find these questions not to be worth answering. If someone is hesitant to deploy, or will only join if they're guaranteed that the "odds" of deploying are below some qualitative threshold, they're categorically useless to the military.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
              You have the cause and effect reversed. The question was "wouldn't deployment depend on the MOS and unit she goes to?"

The answer is that soldiers typically deploy with their respective units, and those deployments are on some sort of schedule. There is also a possibility of being yanked out of a unit in order to fill a vacancy with another deploying unit (as I was).

Typically, I find these questions not to be worth answering. If someone is hesitant to deploy, or will only join if they're guaranteed that the "odds" of deploying are below some qualitative threshold, they're categorically useless to the military.
              She didn't say she was hesitant to deploy. She's looking for answers to give her mother. Valid questions for any parent... concern for the child (regardless of age) goes along with the job.

Comment

...parents always take this "you'll die in combat route"...which is also ridiculous. It is incredibly more dangerous to drive a car on an American highway.
                Good point. I was answering similar questions from a worried mother while her son was talking to me while smoking a cigarette. I was dumbfounded.

Comment

Working...
                X