Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

College and Interstate Transfer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: College and Interstate Transfer

    Originally posted by RyCass View Post
    and once he knows where he is going for college, initiate an Interstate Transfer.
    And than what is your suggestion if he isn't accepted by the incoming state, or possibly have to complete a second AIT if his mos is full, still interfering with his college timeframe?

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: College and Interstate Transfer

      Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      And than what is your suggestion if he isn't accepted by the incoming state, or possibly have to complete a second AIT if his mos is full, still interfering with his college timeframe?
      These are legitimate concerns; I'm not discounting them. But obviously, he his not the only Soldier who enlists in high school and transfers to a different state when he attends college. You make it sound like these are so large of obstacles that he should forego enlisting at all right now, and it's my belief that this is a matter of opinion. If he understands the challenges he will face, is willing to do the leg work to insure a smooth IST transition, (which includes being realistic about the MOS he chooses and general slot availability) then who are we to discourage this?

      Again, I'm really not disagreeing with you; in most cases I would recommend a Soldier wait until they know where they will be. But it's clear this isn't what the applicant wants. There's benefits to starting his career now and it sounds like he's just trying to understand the consequences to this decision. I say let's help him understand the obstacles and let him decide what he wants to do from there.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: College and Interstate Transfer

        Originally posted by RyCass View Post
        These are legitimate concerns; I'm not discounting them. But obviously, he his not the only Soldier who enlists in high school and transfers to a different state when he attends college. You make it sound like these are so large of obstacles that he should forego enlisting at all right now, and it's my belief that this is a matter of opinion. If he understands the challenges he will face, is willing to do the leg work to insure a smooth IST transition, (which includes being realistic about the MOS he chooses and general slot availability) then who are we to discourage this?

        Again, I'm really not disagreeing with you; in most cases I would recommend a Soldier wait until they know where they will be. But it's clear this isn't what the applicant wants. There's benefits to starting his career now and it sounds like he's just trying to understand the consequences to this decision. I say let's help him understand the obstacles and let him decide what he wants to do from there.
        Thats because over the past 10 years it was no concern going on with two wars. States, all states, were begging for people and an IST was never an issue. It is not like that anymore. There is a line outside of most recruiters doors. Transferring has become significantly more difficult. So yes, what you describe is exactly how I am acting, because it is true.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: College and Interstate Transfer

          Ahh! You understand the situation perfectly and you have articulated our son's attitude and desire to join the Guard and start his military career during the summer of 2013. You definitely "get it". Yes it is more complicated than a 17 year old can think about right now. His Dad and I will continue looking into this because I'm hearing the comments from ParalegalNCO1 loud and clear. If the state our son wants to transfer into because of his college decision, can actually say "no", then our son would be in a very bad situation. His 2 top college choices right now are in Mass and NY. We will have to start a conversation with the Interstate Transfer person in each of those states asap.

          I'll continue to refer to this thread to look for updates. Many thanks.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: College and Interstate Transfer

            Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
            He can join any states guard at any time. I would wait for acceptance to a school, then immediatly enlist in that state. These transfers are not smooth, if you son was prior service and knew how to navigate the system, I wouldn't be so hesitant. A brand new private will have a hella time working this out.
            Truth spoken.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: College and Interstate Transfer

              Originally posted by Momcandidate View Post
              Ahh! You understand the situation perfectly and you have articulated our son's attitude and desire to join the Guard and start his military career during the summer of 2013. You definitely "get it". Yes it is more complicated than a 17 year old can think about right now. His Dad and I will continue looking into this because I'm hearing the comments from ParalegalNCO1 loud and clear. If the state our son wants to transfer into because of his college decision, can actually say "no", then our son would be in a very bad situation. His 2 top college choices right now are in Mass and NY. We will have to start a conversation with the Interstate Transfer person in each of those states asap.

              I'll continue to refer to this thread to look for updates. Many thanks.
              Great! It sounds like you've been armed with some valuable information and overall have a better understanding of what you all can expect from your son's enlistment. I think you make a wise decision getting in contact with the different states to learn about their slot availabilities and IST process.

              Good luck to your son! Let us know if you have any questions along the way.

              Comment

              Working...
              X