X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College and Interstate Transfer

Our son wants to join the Natl Guard but is still in high school. He is looking at colleges in states other than where we live. If he joins now, how difficult or easy will it be for him to transfer to the Nat'l Guard of the state in which he'll be going to college? We are a little hesitant about his joining until we feel pretty comfortable that he'll be able to transfer to another state.

We appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks.

Re: College and Interstate Transfer

Originally posted by Momcandidate View Post
    Our son wants to join the Natl Guard but is still in high school. He is looking at colleges in states other than where we live. If he joins now, how difficult or easy will it be for him to transfer to the Nat'l Guard of the state in which he'll be going to college? We are a little hesitant about his joining until we feel pretty comfortable that he'll be able to transfer to another state.

We appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks.
    He should look at states that offer a tuition waiver for national guard service, and enlist directly to that state. Worry about transferring after school. States that come to mind off the top of my head include, Illinois, New Jersey and Indiana. But there are others. Tuition waivers are the best benefit to offer.

Comment

I saw your other post, looks like MA has one....

http://states.ng.mil/sites/MA/resour...n/default.aspx

He should enlist directly to that state.

Comment

Connecticut has a waiver program as well.

http://veterans.uconn.edu/index.php/Tuition_Waiver

Comment

He would like to join the Guard in Pennsylvania now and begin his training while he is still in high school, then transfer to the state where his college is located. We won't know what state that will be until at least a year from now when he knows where he'll be going to college. We are concerned that if he starts his training in Pennsylvania and then goes to Massachusetts for college, could there be a reason that he would NOT be able to transfer to Mass?

Comment

He would like to join the Guard in Pennsylvania now and begin his training while he is still in high school, then transfer to the state where his college is located. We won't know what state that will be until at least a year from now when he knows where he'll be going to college. We are concerned that if he starts his training in Pennsylvania and then goes to Massachusetts for college, could there be a reason that he would NOT be able to transfer to Mass?
            In his case, I would recommend he keep in contact with a recruiter from Mass or the unit he is interested in while he is finishing up high school. One of the major hurdles of transferring to another state is slot availability for the job specialty he is trained in. So, for example, if he has a couple of top picks for an MOS, it might be in his benefit to pick an MOS that is not overtly competitive in Mass. Slots can change in a year, but if he enters into a specialty that is not traditionally over strength, then he has a better chance for a smooth transition. Hence, keeping in contact with Mass and letting them know his final intentions will help this process.

Education benefits, as mentioned above, is another thing to consider as each state can offer their own unique blend of Tuition Assistance. Being as he doesn't know where he will end up at this point, there's not much you can do to prepare ahead of time other than being informed about the differences between the states.

Comment

If he joins one state with the intentions of almost immediatly transferring to another, he is looking for a whirlwind of problems. I am not saying it cant be done, however it will be far from smooth. Don't do it. Join the state he wants to be in directly, even if it sets him back a year.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                If he joins one state with the intentions of almost immediatly transferring to another, he is looking for a whirlwind of problems. I am not saying it cant be done, however it will be far from smooth. Don't do it. Join the state he wants to be in directly, even if it sets him back a year.
                The National Guard has two missions, which is unique to any other component, they serve both stateside in disasters and such and federally deploy to war zones. When you enlist into the Guard, you can gain both state and federal benefits and training gets billed to both in one way or another. That is one reason why it isnt always easy to transfer.

Now with that being said, many people could give you stories how their transfer went very smoothly and was done within weeks. Others could tell you theirs was denied due to numerous different reasons or it went through but took five months.

Some units dont like their numbers to go down and deny transfers. Some units put transfers on hold due to an upcoming mission. Some senior Soldiers in the chain of paperwork only drill once a month and also go away for training to different states which means they might not walk into their armory for months at a time. So getting them involved can take time. There are also standards that have to be met in order to transfer...usually. The gaining unit doesnt want someone broke, in trouble, or flagged for whatever reason. It doesnt always take much to have something like that happen. Again, the stars could be lined up just right and it could go very smoothly, get approved without hesitation and be completed within weeks. But it could be a risky game.

There are deals made where a Soldier drills with another unit but their original one still has them on their books and pays them. That is something to look into. You could make up lets say three drills in advance, go away to school for three months, make the drive back for one or two months, then make up a few ahead of time again. That is something that has to be approved by the individual unit and isnt guaruanteed. Sacrifices are something you do make in the military (as well as many other areas of life of course) and maybe your chilld and you could make the decision to go to college in the home state. There is a way to do it. Although the military is only 1 percent of the population, the situation is not unique but you will have to do some thinking about it.

Comment

Thank you for your honestly. However, he isn't looking to transfer immediately. Let's say he joins PA in early 2013. He would begin his 1 weekend per month training while he finished 11th grade. Then he would go to basic training during the summer of 2013. In 12th grade he would continue his 1 week per month training. Then he would go to his specialized training during the summer of 2014. By then he will know where he is going to college. In the Fall of 2014 he will start college in a different state (hopefully Mass or NY) and will need to transfer to the Guard in that state where he will continue his 1 weekend per month training.

Even though he'll know where he'll be going to college in early 2014, he wouldn't be able to actually join the Guard in that state until he actually starts college in the state. Correct? So that would mean he couldn't even do his basic training until the summer of 2015 which is a delay of 2 years.

He wants to join the Guard now to start the clock on his required time, but we need to make sure the transition to college is going to work out.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
                    Some units dont like their numbers to go down and deny transfers.
                    We have been through this many times on here. Maybe caps lock will help...THE LOSING UNIT CANNOT DENY A TRANSFER. Many claim they do, or threaten that they will, or take their time with the paperwork, trust me...its only a smoke screen.

Comment

Thank you for your honestly. However, he isn't looking to transfer immediately. Let's say he joins PA in early 2013. He would begin his 1 weekend per month training while he finished 11th grade. Then he would go to basic training during the summer of 2013. In 12th grade he would continue his 1 week per month training. Then he would go to his specialized training during the summer of 2014. By then he will know where he is going to college. In the Fall of 2014 he will start college in a different state (hopefully Mass or NY) and will need to transfer to the Guard in that state where he will continue his 1 weekend per month training.

Even though he'll know where he'll be going to college in early 2014, he wouldn't be able to actually join the Guard in that state until he actually starts college in the state. Correct? So that would mean he couldn't even do his basic training until the summer of 2015 which is a delay of 2 years.

He wants to join the Guard now to start the clock on his required time, but we need to make sure the transition to college is going to work out.

Thoughts?
                      He can join any states guard at any time. I would wait for acceptance to a school, then immediatly enlist in that state. These transfers are not smooth, if you son was prior service and knew how to navigate the system, I wouldn't be so hesitant. A brand new private will have a hella time working this out.

Comment

(4) ACTION
                        Li APPROVED DISAPPROVED RECOMMEND APPROVAL Li RECOMMEND DISAPPROVAL Li RETURNED
                        Why can the losing CDR disapprove it on the 4187?

The following documents are always required:
                        DA 4187 — Request for transfer/reassignment Attached: : Yes/b’
                        - current/losing Cdr recommendation (or delegated representative)
                        DA 4187-1-R — Personnel Action Form Addendum Attached: Yes//
                        - current/losing BN/MSC Cdr, gaining CO/BN/MSC Cdr recommendations (or delegated representative)
                        - commands determine approval level for transfer/reassignment within command (E7-E9 NDMOSQ, approval level is DCSPER/G1)

I'm actually at BDE where those packets come to and I QC them. It is different since our Change of Command but before I did see them not go through. The previous Commander would transfer within the BDE but as soon as it was outside, they were sent back disapproved many times.

And if a unit is alerted for deployment they can stop movement also.
                        Last edited by WIBecky74; December 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
                          (4) ACTION
                          Li APPROVED DISAPPROVED RECOMMEND APPROVAL Li RECOMMEND DISAPPROVAL Li RETURNED
                          Why can the losing CDR disapprove it on the 4187?

The following documents are always required:
                          DA 4187 — Request for transfer/reassignment Attached: : Yes/b’
                          - current/losing Cdr recommendation (or delegated representative)
                          DA 4187-1-R — Personnel Action Form Addendum Attached: Yes//
                          - current/losing BN/MSC Cdr, gaining CO/BN/MSC Cdr recommendations (or delegated representative)
                          - commands determine approval level for transfer/reassignment within command (E7-E9 NDMOSQ, approval level is DCSPER/G1)

I'm actually at BDE where those packets come to and I QC them. It is different since our Change of Command but before I did see them not go through. The previous Commander would transfer within the BDE but as soon as it was outside, they were sent back disapproved many times.

And if a unit is alerted for deployment they can stop movement also.
                          The guard likes to use a 4187 for everything under the sun. It's not required, nor can they really deny it. All snuffy has to do is drive across the border and swear into a unit. The uncordinated way, is much more cordinated. I've done it twice.

Just because we put together some fancy packet for some silly request and have a disapprove column on a 4187, doesn't mean diddly. No authority to do it.

Edit: You are correct however about if the unit is alerted. There is actually regulatory guidance that can prevent an IST if a unit is about to roll out, other than that...no dice.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                            The guard likes to use a 4187 for everything under the sun. It's not required, nor can they really deny it. All snuffy has to do is drive across the border and swear into a unit. The uncordinated way, is much more cordinated. I've done it twice.

Just because we put together some fancy packet for some silly request and have a disapprove column on a 4187, doesn't mean diddly. No authority to do it.

Edit: You are correct however about if the unit is alerted. There is actually regulatory guidance that can prevent an IST if a unit is about to roll out, other than that...no dice.
                            Fine. (hidden you cant see this lol )

I'm just still ticked off that I couldnt transfer out of my unit because of the Tech job for a promotion. (I know, its different because I could have transferred, just not kept the M-F job) Sat at the top of list for a year and being in an INF BDE I can only go to the BSB or BSTB so its so limiting! And I have to stay within the BDE for the other job.

Comment

Thoughts?
                              OK. So back to your question. As you can see from the comments above, you do have two ways to look at his interstate transfer. As Paralegal suggested, to avoid one, you could have your son enlist in the state he wants to eventually go to college in. In most cases, this is ideal. However, what is important here is that your son is still in high school and has no guarantee of where he will be accepted for college. Drilling in a different state would likely be impractical for a high school student and is risky if your son decides to attend a different college. The other suggestion would be to have him WAIT until after high school to again avoid a transfer. The issue here is that he would be putting off his enlistment for another 2 years. This is a decent suggestion if your son is unsure in any way. Based on what you've posted, though, this isn't an option your son is considering.

Honestly, it sounds like you already know what will work for your son. In my opinion, I would encourage you to stick to your original plan of having your son enlist at 17, attend training in the summer, and once he knows where he is going for college, initiate an Interstate Transfer. They can be a hassle, but it sounds like your son has plenty of time to prepare for it. He'll get the first two years of training out of the way, and be set to focus on college instead of trying to shuffle classes with training obligations.

Comment

Working...
                              X