X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the Guard...

I just turned 27 in October. I've always wanted to serve in the NG, but college and relationships kept me occupied. I've never stopped wanting to serve, and now I have made some changes in my life, the first thought was to join. I have a business degree and have been working in the Aviation/Aerospace Industry since I graduated. I'm currently in the process of moving to Vancouver, WA. I'm still in the process of moving, so I haven't had a change to speak to a recruiter--can this be accomplished via Phone/Email. I noticed you can enlist online, just curious how the process works.

Now for the questions. I've done my research and I have some great friends who are currently in the NG and have been a wealth of knowledge. I keep telling myself 27 is not too old, but I find myself worrying when I see 17/18 YO talking about their enlistment. How will the experience differ--Am I going to feel 'old' at 27? I'm in shape, I don't have any problems meeting the requirements, although the course at BT looks pretty intimidating.

How does basic training work with male/female? I'm assuming females bunk,etc today, but we all work as a group/team when it comes to the daily activities?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Re: Joining the Guard...

You cannot enlist online. You can do the application online and speak with a Recruiter via phone/email.

Concerning your age, the most difficult part for you will be dealing with the immaturity of those 17 & 18 yr olds. To avoid the young enlistees, avoid shipping to BCT in the summer months.

Depending on your MOS, your training could be coed. Fraternization in BCT is highly frowned upon.

Comment

wiseb214,

I too am the same age. I was 26 when I first joined and now I'm 27. I kind of was in the same boat.

My suggestion: You've got your degree in-hand, so enlist as an 09S Officer Candidate, go to BCT them come back to one of the many fun iterations of Officer Candidate School (OCS). You "might" just even get a chance to branch Aviation. Search through the forums on that one.

You may feel old at Basic at first when you see all the panic stricken straight out of highschoolers with the deer in the headlights looks (you might have the same look depending on your preparedness), and some of the menial childish things that can go on in the barracks and when DS aren't watching (I practically acted like our bay-father when I was at BCT), but it too shall pass. As far as your fitness goes, if you go in good shape you'll come out in even better shape so don't worry about that.

Males bunk with males, end of story. There's no such thing as a shared bay, and +1 to NYGuardRecruiter...any kind of fraternization is forbidden. Depending on your training location you could either be in an all-male or co-ed unit. Unless you end up at a place like Ft. Jackson where it's all co-ed, you really won't know until that moment at Reception BN where you find out what company you are going to.

OCS is a different story. You have fresh out of basic soldiers and those that have been in-service for a long time, male and female, and the age is all over the place. I think the oldest in my class currently is 39. You'll all mesh and the age won't matter at the end of the day except for maybe physical limitations.

Good luck to you with whatever path you choose!

Comment

I am currently 31 and ship to BCT & AIT in February. I’m not too worried about the age thing, I was literally running circle around most of the younger soldiers at my first RSP drill. I look at entering at my age as a great leadership opportunity and a chance to mentor some of the younger folks…and learn a thing or two myself.
        Last edited by kirkrmoon; December 3rd, 2012, 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

Comment

Originally posted by wiseb214 View Post
          I just turned 27 in October. I've always wanted to serve in the NG, but college and relationships kept me occupied. I've never stopped wanting to serve, and now I have made some changes in my life, the first thought was to join. I have a business degree and have been working in the Aviation/Aerospace Industry since I graduated. I'm currently in the process of moving to Vancouver, WA. I'm still in the process of moving, so I haven't had a change to speak to a recruiter--can this be accomplished via Phone/Email. I noticed you can enlist online, just curious how the process works.

Now for the questions. I've done my research and I have some great friends who are currently in the NG and have been a wealth of knowledge. I keep telling myself 27 is not too old, but I find myself worrying when I see 17/18 YO talking about their enlistment. How will the experience differ--Am I going to feel 'old' at 27? I'm in shape, I don't have any problems meeting the requirements, although the course at BT looks pretty intimidating.

How does basic training work with male/female? I'm assuming females bunk,etc today, but we all work as a group/team when it comes to the daily activities?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
          As you have heard, the age range varies at BCT, so nothing to worry about there. When you "Apply Online" you would be completing the enlistment application which will assign you a recruiter. In other words, it is the paperwork portion online. Your recruiter will be the one that gets you through the enlistment. Even if you go to meet a recruiter, you will still do the application online.

eqmcclure made a great suggestion about looking into Officer Candidate School. You should see if this is a possibility for you.

Comment

All great advice, OP! Just so you have it, here's a link to the Pre-Qualification form online discussed above. Let me know if you have any questions filling it out.

Comment

Working...
            X