X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asvab

how hard is the asvab test? I just got my g.e.d scored rather low on the math part.
    Got 18 out of 50 questions right. Wouldn't have passed if my other scores didn't raise the average score.

Re: Asvab

Some of it consists of the types of questions you would see in high school/college tests. Then other portions are a little more technical. See below.

General Science - measures knowledge of life science, earth and space science, and physical science
    Arithmetic Reasoning - measures ability to solve basic arithmetic word problems
    Word Knowledge - measures ability to understand the meaning of words through synonyms
    Paragraph Comprehension - measures ability to obtain information from written material
    Mathematics Knowledge - measures knowledge of mathematical concepts and applications
    Electronics Information - measures knowledge of electrical current, circuits, devices, and electronic systems
    Auto and Shop Information - measures knowledge of automotive maintenance and repair, and wood and metal shop practices
    Mechanical Comprehension - measures knowledge of the principles of mechanical devices, structural support, and properties of materials
    Assembling Objects - measures ability with spatial relationships

How you score in those will determine your line scores. Every MOS has a certain line score requirement.

Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT) - Paragraph Comprehension, Word Knowledge, Mathematics Knowledge, and Arithmetic Reasoning.
    Clerical (CL) – Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Arithmetic Reasoning and Mathematics Knowledge.
    Combat (CO) - Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Auto & Shop and Mechanical Comprehension.
    Electronics (EL) – General Science, Arithmetic Reasoning, Mathematics Knowledge and Electronic Information.
    Field Artillery (FA) - Arithmetic Reasoning, Mathematics Knowledge and Mechanical Comprehension.
    General Maintenance (GM) – General Science, Auto & Shop, Mathematics Knowledge and Electronics Information.
    General Technical (GT) - Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, and Arithmetic Reasoning (AR).
    Mechanical Maintenance (MM) – Auto & Shop, Mechanical Comprehension and Electronic Information.
    Operators and Food (OF) - Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Auto & Shop and Mechanical Comprehension.
    Surveillance and Communications (SC) - Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Arithmetic Reasoning, Auto & Shop and Mechanical Comprehension.
    Skilled Technical (ST) - Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, General Science, Mechanical Comprehension and Mathematics Knowledge.

Your final AFQT score is a single number, which determines enlistment eligibility. Meet it and you are eligible. Higher you score, the more jobs you qualify for.

Someone can back me up on this, but I believe the minimum score for HS Diploma or higher is 31 and GEDs is 50.
    Last edited by SteveLord; November 29th, 2012, 04:16 AM.

Comment

If everyone else is finished on the asvab and you are still working on it......you will probably be in good shape. If you are the first to finish, you probably will not have done well. Take the entire amount of time for the test.

I used the entire time and scored a 98. Ignore the people that fly through the test and finish early.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
        how hard is the asvab test? I just got my g.e.d scored rather low on the math part.
        Got 18 out of 50 questions right. Wouldn't have passed if my other scores didn't raise the average score.
        Great advice so far! I would recommend, if you are aware that you are not where you want to be, getting some study time in. Hire a tutor or enlist the help of a knowledgeable individual to help you learn what you don't know. There's also study books available to purchase, so you have some options to get you to a more comfortable level with this topic. The good thing about Math is that the more you expose yourself to it and practice, the more it will "stick".

Good luck!
        Last edited by RyCass; November 29th, 2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X