X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meps

I went to MEPS yesterday, everything went well except the physical part where you are supposed to do the duck walk and all those exercises. I couldn't do much of them, because of my balance (I don't work on my flexibility.) My vision is bad but what I can do to fix my eyes, is done cosmetically. They said that was fine. But the physical exercises is what disqualified me. The people at MEPS said that they would work with me on the physical exercises and strength training. Well, I talked with my recruiter and he said oh we don't do that and that he wouldn't take me back to MEPS in at least 6 months. Help!

Do I go to a different recruiter?

Re: Meps

Originally posted by ahazen1 View Post
    I went to MEPS yesterday, everything went well except the physical part where you are supposed to do the duck walk and all those exercises. I couldn't do much of them, because of my balance (I don't work on my flexibility.) My vision is bad but what I can do to fix my eyes, is done cosmetically. They said that was fine. But the physical exercises is what disqualified me. The people at MEPS said that they would work with me on the physical exercises and strength training. Well, I talked with my recruiter and he said oh we don't do that and that he wouldn't take me back to MEPS in at least 6 months. Help!

Do I go to a different recruiter?
    I'm not aware of what the exact rules are on when you can return to MEPS after this type of disqualification. Perhaps someone can chime in on this.

Rather, I would like to hear what you think went wrong physically. Are you just out of shape? But more importantly, are these exercises something that you just can't do? Meaning, there's something with your body that is preventing you from doing these movements accurately (such as skeletal)?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      I'm not aware of what the exact rules are on when you can return to MEPS after this type of disqualification. Perhaps someone can chime in on this.

Rather, I would like to hear what you think went wrong physically. Are you just out of shape? But more importantly, are these exercises something that you just can't do? Meaning, there's something with your body that is preventing you from doing these movements accurately (such as skeletal)?
      I don't know anything that is preventing me from doing them such as skeletal. I just think it is that I am out of shape and I need to do them on my own, I don't remember what we had to do, I remember walking on my knees which I did well, duck walk not so well and putting your foot on your leg, my balance was off. I want to talk to someone about this, but my recruiter seemed like he wanted nothing to do with me. I don't know if talking to more then one recruiter will hurt my chances of getting into the military.
      Last edited by ahazen1; November 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

No, talking to multiple recruiters won't hurt your chances. In fact, I generally encourage people to get more than one opinion on their circumstance. One thing I would suggest is to ask your recruiter to clarify what this disqualification means to your enlistment applicability, what it specifically would take to improve in this area, and to provide a reference for the wait time to return to MEPS. Asking them things like "do I need a waiver for this" is important, so you're on the right track! If he can't answer you or is too preoccupied with other eligible applicants, I personally think it's fair to seek out the answers with another recruiter.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          No, talking to multiple recruiters won't hurt your chances. In fact, I generally encourage people to get more than one opinion on their circumstance. One thing I would suggest is to ask your recruiter to clarify what this disqualification means to your enlistment applicability, what it specifically would take to improve in this area, and to provide a reference for the wait time to return to MEPS. Asking them things like "do I need a waiver for this" is important, so you're on the right track! If he can't answer you or is too preoccupied with other eligible applicants, I personally think it's fair to seek out the answers with another recruiter.

Hope that helps!
          So, talking with different recruiters from the different branches won't hurt my chances of getting into the military?

Comment

So, talking with different recruiters from the different branches won't hurt my chances of getting into the military?
            Well, I'm sure you can guess what I would say to "other" branches being as this is a National Guard forum . However, the general answer to your question is, no.

Comment

I think the caveat here would be that the OP was disqualified at MEPS. Regardless of which service branch recruiter he talks to, when they send him to MEPS that disqualification still sands. Someone more familiar with MEPCOM policies on this type of DQ should chime in. There is probably some mandatory time he must wait to return (regardless of branch).

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                I think the caveat here would be that the OP was disqualified at MEPS. Regardless of which service branch recruiter he talks to, when they send him to MEPS that disqualification still sands. Someone more familiar with MEPCOM policies on this type of DQ should chime in. There is probably some mandatory time he must wait to return (regardless of branch).
                The people at MEPS didn't say about mandatory time about wait of return. They said to work on my strength training and balance.

Comment

You think it would be the same as if you failed the ASVAB. you can go back exactly a month later and try again. and then if you don't pass the second time you have to wait 6 months. maybe you should talk to another NG recruiter. and I don't see how being a little off balance DQ you. there was girls in my group that was off and they still got through. Just find a new NG recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyNG_Girl225 View Post
                    You think it would be the same as if you failed the ASVAB. you can go back exactly a month later and try again. and then if you don't pass the second time you have to wait 6 months. maybe you should talk to another NG recruiter. and I don't see how being a little off balance DQ you. there was girls in my group that was off and they still got through. Just find a new NG recruiter.
                    Can I go talk to a recruiter that isn't in my area? And thank you

Comment

Can I go talk to a recruiter that isn't in my area? And thank you
                      You absolutely can seek out another recruiter close or far from you. I might give your current recruiter one more call, see if he/she is willing to work with you and what you were disqualified for. Your current recruiter may have just been frustrated, a lot of time & work goes into the enlistment process.

I've had applicants fail the dexterity test but were also overweight and were given a return date.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                        Yes, indeed. Good clarification.

Comment

Working...
                        X