X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peanut Allergies and Enlistment?

Enlisting in the armed forces has always been a major dream of mine. Something I've always wanted to do and have started looking more into as my age draw nearer. But something has just dawned on me which could very well have crushed my hopes. How would my allergies to Peanuts affect my enlistment? I will admit, they are rather severe and I was prescribed an epipen. That being said, is there SOME WAY, ANY WAY, in which I can still serve? I have heard mixed comments regarding the subject, some stating they managed to still enlist, while others saying they were immediately DQ. Is there some way in which I can circumvent my circumstances? Possibly scoring extremely well on the ASVAB or APFT? Or even getting a note from my previous doctors, PE teachers, and even family/friends regarding how I still physically prepared despite my setback? Any help or info would be great and even better would be if somebody with an allergy here on the forums managed to enlist in an armed force of some kind.

Re: Peanut Allergies and Enlistment?

Someone with more energy than myself will chime in with either the regulation regarding allergies or a link for it but I just wanted to comment on things I already know without researching. The dilemma isnt the allergy itself, its the possibility of being dependant on medication, needing medication that may not be readily available, or needing a certain diet that is more of the issue and how "they" look at it. Your physical well being or your intelligence arent the issue. I understand how you see it could possibley help, but they will not take that into factor. That is cut and dry. Now i'm not sure if it is a disqualifier, I havent looked that up, but exceeding in another area will do nothing for your case.

Comment

I understand what you guys are saying. I don't have the exercise-induced nor medication dependent issues but the diet is definitely the killer here... So does that mean that those other stories I've heard are merely untrue? I've heard that they replace your dog tags with a separate color depending on your allergies. But if it's written in stone, I guess I'm screwed either way... Wow, that's an absolute bummer. Well I guess I'm still trying to get in contact with a recruiter and see what he can tell me, but I get this feeling that I'm never going to be allowed in...

Comment

The red dog tags are for medicinal allergies. Soldiers allergic to bee stings also typically wear some form of yellow tape on their gear.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          The red dog tags are for medicinal allergies. Soldiers allergic to bee stings also typically wear some form of yellow tape on their gear.
          Medicinal meaning that symptoms can be treated? I'm not exactly sure what you mean. And also, all of that being said, that DOES mean there are individuals in the armed forces with allergies. So what determines whether an individual is a GO or a PASS?

Comment

Originally posted by bchan View Post
            Medicinal meaning that symptoms can be treated? I'm not exactly sure what you mean. And also, all of that being said, that DOES mean there are individuals in the armed forces with allergies. So what determines whether an individual is a GO or a PASS?
            Staying in the military with allergies, is not the same as joining the military with allergies. And that can go for many other conditions, like asthma for example.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
              Staying in the military with allergies, is not the same as joining the military with allergies.
              Could you please elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06
                No, meaning allergic to certain medications.
                Avoiding penicillin is one thing, avoiding peanuts is entirely different and a lot more difficult. But, talk to your recruiter. Maybe it depends on severity but you said your's is severe so I am not sure...
                Thank you for the advice. I'm going to see what I possibly can do...

Comment

Originally posted by bchan View Post
                  Could you please elaborate?
                  Medical standards for enlisting are not the same as staying in. If you are already in and came down with a condition that you could not have joined with, you don't neccesarily have to get out. Thats why there are people with those tags serving...for the most part anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                    Medical standards for enlisting are not the same as staying in. If you are already in and came down with a condition that you could not have joined with, you don't neccesarily have to get out. Thats why there are people with those tags serving...for the most part anyways.
                    I see. And thank you for the clarification. I hope that a chance is still there, even if a slim one. I appreciate the help staff sergeant.

Comment

Working...
                    X