Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about joining the National Guard?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about joining the National Guard?

So I have a few questions regarding enlisting in the CA National Guard and was hoping I could get some answers, since I've only talked to 1 recruiter and that was quite a while back. My biggest concern though, is in regards to tuition assistance and college money, since I was initially accepted by a university after I graduated H.S, but didn't have the money to attend. So instead of going to college (I still plan on going), at the moment I am very much considering joining the National guard, both because of the benefits as well as the fact that I wanted to join the military since before I even knew I was going to college. My other concern is whether or not I would be able to enlist being overweight and all. You see, although most overweight people are relatively high in fat, I was actually very active in Highschool playing football and powerlifting. And recently after starting a fat loss program, I went from 275lbs (heaviest I've ever been in my life) and 40 waist, back to 255-ish and 38 waist. And being that I have done a lot of research I honestly felt ashamed to even ask about enlistment until I lost some weight and could at least run more than a mile at a decent pace. But at this time I am able to run an 8:40 mile and do about 45 good push-ups, and although it probably doesn't mean much I can still benchpress 100 pounds more than I weigh, despite the limited weight training. So even though im going to keep on going with my fat loss, would I still be able to join if I got taped?

Thanks, and Any advice is appreciated.

Torres,

Re: Questions about joining the National Guard?

The weight standard IS based on body fat percentage, not actually body weight. For example, Arnold type bodybuilders would meet BF requirements even though they would be required to be taped. We don't know how TALL you are, which is a key component of your situation. No matter how tall you are, with a 38 inch waist, I would expect you still need to loose some...but if you're 6'3", it's probably not THAT much. That being said....you are setting yourself up for career failure if you are always struggling to just MEET the standard. It is best if you easily exceed the standard to the point that being weighed or taped isn't even an issue.

Comment

@Mongoose well I'm 5'11 and I understand your point, but as I said I will continue going forward and plan on losing more excess fat before even showing up to MEPS. I just want to get the ball rolling with the recruitment process and get everything in order.

Torres,

Comment

Originally posted by Torres75 View Post
        @Mongoose well I'm 5'11 and I understand your point, but as I said I will continue going forward and plan on losing more excess fat before even showing up to MEPS. I just want to get the ball rolling with the recruitment process and get everything in order.

Torres,
        Until you meet BMI/weight you wouldn't get sent to MEPS anyways....

Keep up the great work!

Comment

My Soldier was 5'11 and 240 and failed and has a thick neck. I suggest you get to 235 before you see a recruiter.

Comment

Working...
          X