Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Was denied by the Air Force but told to go army, so I'm thinking about national guard.. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was denied by the Air Force but told to go army, so I'm thinking about national guard..

Hey everyone!
    It's always been my dream to serve and I enlisted in the Air Force after I graduated high school. I freaked and told the MEPS doctors about my past ADHD and a broken arm I had as a child. Needless to say I was PDQ'd and had to submit a waiver, which later got denied. My recruiter told me the Air Force was really tough on waivers but I had a really good chance of it getting approved by the Army. I don't have any pins or anything like that in my arm, and it's never hindered me from anything. As far as the ADHD I've been off of medication since I was 13 and graduated with a 3.8 GPA. I've considered going Army because serving has always been my dream, but after researching I'm really interested in the National Guard. I know the National Guard is part of the army, and I was wondering if their standards are the same. Would I have a shot?
    Last edited by alexj; November 19th, 2012, 11:58 AM.

Re: Was denied by the Air Force but told to go army, so I'm thinking about national guard..

Originally posted by alexj View Post
    Hey everyone!
    It's always been my dream to serve and I enlisted in the Air Force after I graduated high school. I freaked and told the MEPS doctors about my past ADHD and a broken arm I had as a child. Needless to say I was PDQ'd and had to submit a waiver, which later got denied. My recruiter told me the Air Force was really tough on waivers but I had a really good chance of it getting approved by the Army. I don't have any pins or anything like that in my arm, and it's never hindered me from anything. As far as the ADHD I've been off of medication since I was 13 and graduated with a 3.8 GPA. I've considered going Army because serving has always been my dream, but after researching I'm really interested in the National Guard. I know the National Guard is part of the army, and I was wondering if their standards are the same. Would I have a shot?
    Applicants with ADD/ADHD can enlist as long as after the age of 14 they maintained a 2.0 GPA and did not have to take more than one pill a day for more than 2 years.

Comment

Re: Was denied by the Air Force but told to go army, so I'm thinking about national guard..

If you freaked out about the Air Force, wait till those brown rounds get a hold of you. This ain't no Air Force. National Guard is awesome, better than the Army. Good luck with getting into the Army.

Comment

Thanks for your replies! I graduated with a 3.8 GPA and have been off of medication since age 13 so that is very good news ! As far as me freaking out about the Air Force, I was confident about the Air Force it was meps that got me. My recruiter initially told me to check no on everything, not bring up a word about any medical history or any of that. Then they started talking about how we could go to jail for this that and the other and that's when I panicked and wrote everything down, haha.
        But once again, thanks so much!!

Comment

MEPS isn't much to worry about...Good luck with BCT if the guys at MEPS got you. I promise when you get off the bus and shark attack happens you won't know what to do. Basic is all what you make it. Take it in strides each day and only think about graduating. Its all downhill from there! Good luck and stay confident.

Comment

Shark attack? I thought we left the 90s......

Comment

Hey everyone!
              Was your waiver denied for the broken arm, the ADHD, or both?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                If you freaked out about the Air Force, wait till those brown rounds get a hold of you. This ain't no Air Force. National Guard is awesome, better than the Army. Good luck with getting into the Army.
                Seriously?

Comment

Not Seriously.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for replying!! I also have another question, do army recruiters handle people who would like to enlist in the national guard or is there a separate office for this?

And in reply to robinpugs06, the waiver was for both my arm and the ADHD.

Comment

Each branch has their own recruiter. You have to find a Guard recruiter.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for replying!! I also have another question, do army recruiters handle people who would like to enlist in the national guard or is there a separate office for this?

And in reply to robinpugs06, the waiver was for both my arm and the ADHD.
                        Did they deny both our were you just told it was denied?

Comment

How come on the Army forum you said you admitted to asthma and adhd at MEPS but on here you say adhd and a broken arm?

Comment

Working...
                          X