X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i get a medical waiver

i have begun my process through the national guard... but i have tubes in my ears and ive had 4 surgerys as a kid. the last surgery ive had was 3 years ago and i can hear just fine and havnt had a problem. my recruiter hasnt even told me that there was a such thing as a medical waiver i actually found out from a retired Cpt. in the army. my recruiter told me that if i didnt have my tubes when i went to meps then i would be able to join, but if i had them in when i went to meps then they would disqualify me for it. can i get a medical waiver for this? its my dream to be in the military... Thanks for the info.

Re: can i get a medical waiver

Originally posted by landonnorton View Post
    i have begun my process through the national guard... but i have tubes in my ears and ive had 4 surgerys as a kid. the last surgery ive had was 3 years ago and i can hear just fine and havnt had a problem. my recruiter hasnt even told me that there was a such thing as a medical waiver i actually found out from a retired Cpt. in the army. my recruiter told me that if i didnt have my tubes when i went to meps then i would be able to join, but if i had them in when i went to meps then they would disqualify me for it. can i get a medical waiver for this? its my dream to be in the military... Thanks for the info.
    OK, ears are an area I'm not as familiar with, but here is the whole section on ears in the Medical Standards DoDi 6130.03. Take a look at this and see if your situation falls under these disqualifications:

"6. EARS
    a. Current atresia of the external ear (744.02) or severe microtia (744.23), congenital or
    acquired stenosis (380.5x), chronic otitis externa (380.15-380.16, 380.23), or severe external ear
    deformity (380.32, 738.7, 744.01, 744.3) that prevents or interferes with the proper wearing of
    hearing protection.
    b. Current or history of Ménière’s Syndrome or other chronic diseases of the vestibular
    system (386.xx).
    c. History of cochlear implant.
    d. Current or history of cholesteatoma (385.3x).
    e. History of any inner (P20) (CPT 69801-69930) or middle (P19) (CPT 69631-69636,
    69676) ear surgery excluding successful tympanoplasty (CPT 69635) performed during the
    preceding 180 days.
    f. Current perforation of the tympanic membrane (384.2x) or history of surgery to correct
    perforation during the preceding 180 days (P19) (CPT 69433, 69436, 69610, 69631-69646).
    g. Chronic Eustachian tube dysfunction as evidenced by retracted tympanic membrane, or
    recurrent otitis media, or the need for pressure-equalization tube within the last 3 years."

As to waivers, I'm inclined to refer you to your recruiter on this one.

Hopefully, this is helpful in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      OK, ears are an area I'm not as familiar with, but here is the whole section on ears in the Medical Standards DoDi 6130.03. Take a look at this and see if your situation falls under these disqualifications:

"6. EARS
      a. Current atresia of the external ear (744.02) or severe microtia (744.23), congenital or
      acquired stenosis (380.5x), chronic otitis externa (380.15-380.16, 380.23), or severe external ear
      deformity (380.32, 738.7, 744.01, 744.3) that prevents or interferes with the proper wearing of
      hearing protection.
      b. Current or history of Ménière’s Syndrome or other chronic diseases of the vestibular
      system (386.xx).
      c. History of cochlear implant.
      d. Current or history of cholesteatoma (385.3x).
      e. History of any inner (P20) (CPT 69801-69930) or middle (P19) (CPT 69631-69636,
      69676) ear surgery excluding successful tympanoplasty (CPT 69635) performed during the
      preceding 180 days.
      f. Current perforation of the tympanic membrane (384.2x) or history of surgery to correct
      perforation during the preceding 180 days (P19) (CPT 69433, 69436, 69610, 69631-69646).
      g. Chronic Eustachian tube dysfunction as evidenced by retracted tympanic membrane, or
      recurrent otitis media, or the need for pressure-equalization tube within the last 3 years."

As to waivers, I'm inclined to refer you to your recruiter on this one.

Hopefully, this is helpful in some way.
      okay so i asked my recruiter about this and he said that there is no waiver for my situation. I think g. might be my situation but im not for sure. Thanks for the imput. My recruiter also told me that if my tubes arent in when i go for my medical examination then ill be fine but if i have tubes when i go in then they will deny me, so we both are hoping that they arent in... we will find out soon and thanks again for the imput.

Comment

okay so i asked my recruiter about this and he said that there is no waiver for my situation. I think g. might be my situation but im not for sure. Thanks for the imput. My recruiter also told me that if my tubes arent in when i go for my medical examination then ill be fine but if i have tubes when i go in then they will deny me, so we both are hoping that they arent in... we will find out soon and thanks again for the imput.
        Shouldn't you go to your civilian doctor to find out? Or ask your parents? I wouldn't think finding out at MEPS would help your situation any????

Comment

The only question I have is, is this a chronic condition? Would you be able to go without tubes indefinitely? That's what confuses me about the recruiter's answer. If it's something that will affect your overall Military career, I would be hesitant to suggest following through. But, then again, I know little about ears.

None-the-less, I wish you the best in your enlistment endeavors. Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
            The only question I have is, is this a chronic condition? Would you be able to go without tubes indefinitely? That's what confuses me about the recruiter's answer. If it's something that will affect your overall Military career, I would be hesitant to suggest following through. But, then again, I know little about ears.

None-the-less, I wish you the best in your enlistment endeavors. Keep us posted.
            i dont think its chronic ive never had problems when i didnt have tubes it was really only when i had major infections and ear wax one time block my hearing due to basiclly stuffing the ear wax like a cannon in my ear.

Comment

i dont think its chronic ive never had problems when i didnt have tubes it was really only when i had major infections and ear wax one time block my hearing due to basiclly stuffing the ear wax like a cannon in my ear.
              Gotcha. I'm tracking now.

Comment

Either you need tubes or you don't. Thats the only point I will make on this thread.......ask your physician.

Comment

Working...
                X