Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eligibility

Hey everyone,

I just found this forum and since I am very interested in joining the National Guard, I'd like to use the opportunity and ask some questions. Any help is much appreciated!

I read through the requirements on the webpage and "studied" this forum too, and from what I have gathered I "should" meet all requirements for joining the service:
    I am 32 years old (<35), a foreigner (with a green card though), never took any drugs, have no crminial record and a master's degree (or more accuratly: an equivalent). The thing that makes me wonder about my eligibility is this: I am 1st Lieutenant in the German Airforce. Currently I am waiting for the last few months until my contract runs out after 11 years of service. Then I can FINALLY move permanently to the US. In this forum I read from a few British Ex-Soldiers so it seems that having prior service in a foreign army does not disqualify one automatically - is that true for foreign officers too?

In other threads I read that Permanent Residents cannot get into a MOS that requires a security clearance, so there are very limited options. I read through the offered Army Regulation 601-210 and there it says:

"556. General
    Aliens (lawfully admitted into the United States for permanent residence) are eligible to enlist in the RA or AR if they meet criteria in chapter 2 or 3, but may not enlist for any MOS, assignment, or option that requires a security clearance of secret or above. Guidance counselors will place special emphasis on the SF 86 to ensure all questions, not just conduct questions, are reviewed with each applicant."

Since English is not my native language I might be wrong on this, but as far as I understand I cannot get a clearance of SECRET and above. The clearance "CONFIDENTAL" is lower, isn't it (required for 31B e.g.)? So LPR's should be able to get into that, for example?!
    Another point in that regard: can't I "file" for US Citizenship during Basic Training? So afterwards I would be a US Citizen, so therefore eligible for every MOS?!

I have tons of questions, but these two are most critical, so I would be really happy if anyone could give me an answer. Thanks in advance,

Andreas

Re: Eligibility

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
    Hey everyone,

I just found this forum and since I am very interested in joining the National Guard, I'd like to use the opportunity and ask some questions. Any help is much appreciated!

I read through the requirements on the webpage and "studied" this forum too, and from what I have gathered I "should" meet all requirements for joining the service:
    I am 32 years old (<35), a foreigner (with a green card though), never took any drugs, have no crminial record and a master's degree (or more accuratly: an equivalent). The thing that makes me wonder about my eligibility is this: I am 1st Lieutenant in the German Airforce. Currently I am waiting for the last few months until my contract runs out after 11 years of service. Then I can FINALLY move permanently to the US. In this forum I read from a few British Ex-Soldiers so it seems that having prior service in a foreign army does not disqualify one automatically - is that true for foreign officers too?

In other threads I read that Permanent Residents cannot get into a MOS that requires a security clearance, so there are very limited options. I read through the offered Army Regulation 601-210 and there it says:

"556. General
    Aliens (lawfully admitted into the United States for permanent residence) are eligible to enlist in the RA or AR if they meet criteria in chapter 2 or 3, but may not enlist for any MOS, assignment, or option that requires a security clearance of secret or above. Guidance counselors will place special emphasis on the SF 86 to ensure all questions, not just conduct questions, are reviewed with each applicant."

Since English is not my native language I might be wrong on this, but as far as I understand I cannot get a clearance of SECRET and above. The clearance "CONFIDENTAL" is lower, isn't it (required for 31B e.g.)? So LPR's should be able to get into that, for example?!
    Another point in that regard: can't I "file" for US Citizenship during Basic Training? So afterwards I would be a US Citizen, so therefore eligible for every MOS?!

I have tons of questions, but these two are most critical, so I would be really happy if anyone could give me an answer. Thanks in advance,

Andreas
    Foreign prior service is the same as having zero prior service. It is not recognized. I am fairly certain that 31B requires a Secret Clearance, even though there are many publications that state confidential, someone else can confirm that hopefully.

Comment

Working...
    X