Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for Joining

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice for Joining

    Hey all,
    I've been considering joining the Nat. Guard for some time. I'm having an internal dilemma as to whether I should join as an enlisted or officer (I have a B.S.). I really would like to conduct investigations, as I would like to get some experience in later applying to a Federal Agency (full-time). I know that if I enlisted, with a MOS as Military Police, I can apply to be a CID Special Agent. I am hoping to use my degree to become and officer as well. I'm pretty sure CID Officers do not handle investigations. So my questions are:

    1. Is the only position that handles, Investigations the CID Special Agent?
    2. If not, are there any Officer positions that do so?

    I am aware that entering as an Officer I do not have an ultimate choice as to what I get assigned to, but rather based on the current needs of the Army. Which would be better for my goals? Is anyone here a civilian investigator and parttime army investigator?

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Re: Advice for Joining

    Originally posted by Lynx View Post
    Hey all,
    I've been considering joining the Nat. Guard for some time. I'm having an internal dilemma as to whether I should join as an enlisted or officer (I have a B.S.). I really would like to conduct investigations, as I would like to get some experience in later applying to a Federal Agency (full-time). I know that if I enlisted, with a MOS as Military Police, I can apply to be a CID Special Agent. I am hoping to use my degree to become and officer as well. I'm pretty sure CID Officers do not handle investigations. So my questions are:

    1. Is the only position that handles, Investigations the CID Special Agent?
    2. If not, are there any Officer positions that do so?

    I am aware that entering as an Officer I do not have an ultimate choice as to what I get assigned to, but rather based on the current needs of the Army. Which would be better for my goals? Is anyone here a civilian investigator and parttime army investigator?

    Thanks.
    The only states that have a National Guard CID unit are TX, CA, and MO.

    CID Agents are Enlisted or Warrant Officers. A warrant officer must have enlisted CID experience.

    Regular Officers in CID are MP officers, they do not handle invesitgations, and they will not stay CID forever. They will rotate out during normal career progression.

    Counter Intellegence Agents can and do also handle investigations, they are just not of the criminal type. There are more CI Agents in the Guard than there are CID Agents.

    There are also Military Police Investigators; theses guys usually investigate low level crime that does not fall in the investigative perview of CID...essentially they investigate misdemeanor stuff..HOWEVER, you will not find this in the National Guard. FOr the most part Regular Army only and maybe a tid bit of reserves somewhere.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Advice for Joining

      Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      Counter Intellegence Agents can and do also handle investigations, they are just not of the criminal type. There are more CI Agents in the Guard than there are CID Agents.
      Is there a CI presence in NJ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Advice for Joining

        Originally posted by Lynx View Post
        Is there a CI presence in NJ?
        Send Polo a Private Message and ask him. He is NJ Guard and will know. I am not sure. There is however an Army Reserve CID unit at Fort Dix.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Advice for Joining

          Thanks, I sent him a message.

          Do you have an opinion on whether it would be better if I was enlisted or an officer?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Advice for Joining

            Originally posted by Lynx View Post
            Thanks, I sent him a message.

            Do you have an opinion on whether it would be better if I was enlisted or an officer?
            It depends on what you want to do really. Other than Lawyers there is no comparable work as an Officer, so I choose to stay enlisted. If it was all about money Officer is the way to go. Some of the educational benefits can be different. What are you looking to get out of it?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Advice for Joining

              Ultimately, I want to leverage whatever experience I can from it to apply to a Federal Investigative Agency (preferably FBI, but also, ATF, DEA, etc...). Currently (per FBI requirements) I do not qualify (my degree is in Business/Economics, however work experience is IT). I figure that I can get some Military Experience (possibly Investigative Experience) in the ARNG and qualify under the Diversified condition. I can continue to work as an IT professional, while gaining Military experience. As I do not know much about the type of work Officers do for each unit they command, I don't know which to pick.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Advice for Joining

                New Jersey does have a Counterdrug Task Force if I remember correct. However, I have no idea how small they are, how you become apart of it, etc.

                http://ngbcounterdrug.ng.mil/Pages/Default.aspx
                Last edited by SteveLord; November 8th, 2012, 02:32 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Advice for Joining

                  Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                  New Jersey does have a Counterdrug Task Force if I remember correct. However, I have no idea how small they are, how you become apart of it, etc.

                  http://ngbcounterdrug.ng.mil/Pages/Default.aspx
                  Every state has a counterdrug task force. They are all MOS Immaterial jobs and not something that you can enlist for. No one should ever enlist with the intent of being Counter Drug.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Advice for Joining

                    Originally posted by Lynx View Post
                    Ultimately, I want to leverage whatever experience I can from it to apply to a Federal Investigative Agency (preferably FBI, but also, ATF, DEA, etc...). Currently (per FBI requirements) I do not qualify (my degree is in Business/Economics, however work experience is IT). I figure that I can get some Military Experience (possibly Investigative Experience) in the ARNG and qualify under the Diversified condition. I can continue to work as an IT professional, while gaining Military experience. As I do not know much about the type of work Officers do for each unit they command, I don't know which to pick.
                    The hardest part about getting hired by those agencies is their precise background requirements. Have you reviewed them?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Advice for Joining

                      Originally posted by Lynx View Post
                      Ultimately, I want to leverage whatever experience I can from it to apply to a Federal Investigative Agency (preferably FBI, but also, ATF, DEA, etc...). Currently (per FBI requirements) I do not qualify (my degree is in Business/Economics, however work experience is IT). I figure that I can get some Military Experience (possibly Investigative Experience) in the ARNG and qualify under the Diversified condition. I can continue to work as an IT professional, while gaining Military experience. As I do not know much about the type of work Officers do for each unit they command, I don't know which to pick.
                      The FBI is the most competitive out of all the FLE agencies. Qualifying under the diversified condition is a crap-shoot. I think it's limited to something small like 10% or less. To be honest, it's probably reserved for people with very useful technical degrees such as MDs, etc.

                      You can, however, apply under the Computer Science/IT track if you have a certification such as the CCNP or CCIE.

                      Your successful FBI candidate will probably have a background such as this:

                      -BS/MS Computer Science (or Electrical Engineering), JD, MBA or CPA (focus on Accounting), or a combination of these
                      -Work experience (2-3 years)
                      -Military experience (preferably Combat Arms or Special Operations)
                      -Priority foreign language such as Chinese or Arabic
                      Last edited by Polo08816; November 8th, 2012, 02:50 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Advice for Joining

                        Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                        The hardest part about getting hired by those agencies is their precise background requirements. Have you reviewed them?
                        I have reviewed all the other requirements from the FBI, no criminal history, no credit problems, no drug use, i am registered with the selective service, I'm 27. The only thing I lack is the experience to qualify under one of the critical skills. I figure, being an IT professional and in the military would help with that, hitting two critical skills at once.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Advice for Joining

                          Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                          The FBI is the most competitive out of all the FLE agencies. Qualifying under the diversified condition is a crap-shoot. I think it's limited to something small like 10% or less. To be honest, it's probably reserved for people with very useful technical degrees such as MDs, etc.

                          You can, however, apply under the Computer Science/IT track if you have a certification such as the CCNP or CCIE.
                          I usually tell people not to have their FBI Blinders on when looking to get into Law Enforcement. The majority of people that want the alphabet soup agencies usually don't even have a good understanding of what they even do. They want these agencies because movies and media have led us to believe that they are better or cooler. There are many squared away local and state agencies where you can get great invesitgative positions. Any state that has a bureau of investigation should get a look...like TN and NC to name a couple.

                          http://www.tbi.tn.gov/

                          http://www.ncdoj.gov/SBI.aspx

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Advice for Joining

                            Originally posted by Lynx View Post
                            I have reviewed all the other requirements from the FBI, no criminal history, no credit problems, no drug use, i am registered with the selective service, I'm 27. The only thing I lack is the experience to qualify under one of the critical skills. I figure, being an IT professional and in the military would help with that, hitting two critical skills at once.
                            The more critical skills you hit, the greater priority you are given. Unlike most of the other FLEA that have some sort of lame first in first out queue. You can never attract top talent if you have that type of system.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Advice for Joining

                              Originally posted by Lynx View Post
                              I have reviewed all the other requirements from the FBI, no criminal history, no credit problems, no drug use, i am registered with the selective service, I'm 27. The only thing I lack is the experience to qualify under one of the critical skills. I figure, being an IT professional and in the military would help with that, hitting two critical skills at once.
                              Driving record? Ever been 90 days late on a payment? Smoked marijuana more then 15 times?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X