Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Former AFROTC hoping to join later Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Former AFROTC hoping to join later

    Good Evening all,

    I used to be in AFROTC for 4 years, but lost my commission due to coming clean about a past mistake I made as a junior cadet; really embarrassing. The cadre fought hard but to no avail, and I was subsequently dis enrolled. They contacted the local Air Force Recruiting Office, and luckily I can still enlist, but was told not to bother applying for Air Force OTS if I did.

    I told the same story to the other recruiters of different branches and said that my dis enrollment will not adversely affect me enlisting.

    I received an "Honorable Discharge" from the Air Force Reserve (ORS), CC-808 and a DD 785, but no DD-214, there is no mention of an RE-Code on any of my paperwork.

    All the other disenrolled ROTC cadets I've come across said they didn't receive a DD-214 either.

    The REDD report didn't show any RE Code of any kind either; all it said was "ZZ". And the recruiter said I was "Glossary Non Prior Service" but I was told I needed a waiver even if I do not have an RE Code.

    Luckily, I was told that I could be considered for NG OCS.

    I just wanted to confirm if this was true.

    Thank you!
    Last edited by sadgrad; November 6th, 2012, 11:28 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Former AFROTC hoping to join later

    Originally posted by sadgrad View Post
    Good Evening all,

    I used to be in AFROTC for 4 years, but lost my commission due to coming clean about a past mistake I made as a junior cadet; really embarrassing. The cadre fought hard but to no avail, and I was subsequently dis enrolled. They contacted the local Air Force Recruiting Office, and luckily I can still enlist, but was told not to bother applying for Air Force OTS if I did.

    I told the same story to the other recruiters of different branches and said that my dis enrollment will not adversely affect me enlisting.

    I received an "Honorable Discharge" from the Air Force Reserve (ORS), CC-808 and a DD 785, but no DD-214, there is no mention of an RE-Code on any of my paperwork.

    All the other disenrolled ROTC cadets I've come across said they didn't receive a DD-214 either.

    The REDD report didn't show any RE Code of any kind either; all it said was "ZZ". And the recruiter said I was "Glossary Non Prior Service" but I was told I needed a waiver even if I do not have an RE Code.

    Luckily, I was told that I could be considered for NG OCS.

    I just wanted to confirm if this was true.

    Thank you!
    DD 214's are only issued to people coming off some type of Active Duty.

    REDD reports show ASVAB scores, not re codes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Former AFROTC hoping to join later

      To reiterate, do I actually need a waiver to enlist?

      The other branches didn't mention any.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Former AFROTC hoping to join later

        Originally posted by sadgrad View Post
        To reiterate, do I actually need a waiver to enlist?

        The other branches didn't mention any.
        So, you aren't aware of any RE codes but know that you are characterized as a Glossary Non-Prior Service. What was the reason you were discharged? Do you have an SPD code? That will help determine if you need a waiver. Glossary NPS applicants can fall into some grey areas in the enlistment process, so I think getting some more details would help answer your question better.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Former AFROTC hoping to join later

          You said, "I received an "Honorable Discharge" from the Air Force Reserve (ORS)" so did you get discharge papers from the Reserves?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Former AFROTC hoping to join later

            Yes, in fact I did, it was mailed to me including a Reserve order 808.

            The dis enrolled AFROTC cadets I've contacted on other forums have received such. Again no mention of RE or SPD Code.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Former AFROTC hoping to join later

              Originally posted by sadgrad View Post
              Yes, in fact I did, it was mailed to me including a Reserve order 808.

              The dis enrolled AFROTC cadets I've contacted on other forums have received such. Again no mention of RE or SPD Code.
              That's odd that their is no RE code with narrative reason on it. Did you actually serve in The AF Reserves or were you contracted to commission with them at the end of ROTC?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Former AFROTC hoping to join later

                Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                That's odd that their is no RE code with narrative reason on it. Did you actually serve in The AF Reserves or were you contracted to commission with them at the end of ROTC?
                I was never an active member in the AF Reserves. I was just contracted to commission with AFROTC. As a contracted cadet I was put into the AF ORS (Obligated Reserve Section) which is similar to the IRR. I never served a day of active duty or went to basic training.

                Im just reporting the paperwork they gave me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Former AFROTC hoping to join later

                  Originally posted by sadgrad View Post
                  I was never an active member in the AF Reserves. I was just contracted to commission with AFROTC. As a contracted cadet I was put into the AF ORS (Obligated Reserve Section) which is similar to the IRR. I never served a day of active duty or went to basic training.

                  Im just reporting the paperwork they gave me.
                  No, that makes sense now that was why I was asking to try and get clarification. You technically weren't in the reserves just contracted with them after you finished AFROTC.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Former AFROTC hoping to join later

                    Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                    No, that makes sense now that was why I was asking to try and get clarification. You technically weren't in the reserves just contracted with them after you finished AFROTC.
                    He was still characterized as a Glossary Non-Prior Service, so he did technically serve at least 180 days in some capacity (we actually discussed this topic on a different thread a while back, using AR 601-210 as reference to define Glossary NPS versus NPS/PS). Like I said, grey areas abound with this. Instead of trying to deconstruct his status on here, I recommend the OP refer to his recruiter to work through a waiver.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Former AFROTC hoping to join later

                      Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                      He was still characterized as a Glossary Non-Prior Service, so he did technically serve at least 180 days in some capacity (we actually discussed this topic on a different thread a while back, using AR 601-210 as reference to define Glossary NPS versus NPS/PS). Like I said, grey areas abound with this. Instead of trying to deconstruct his status on here, I recommend the OP refer to his recruiter to work through a waiver.
                      Glossary NPS is less than 180 days, not "at least".
                      Last edited by RyCass; November 9th, 2012, 09:27 AM. Reason: Unnecessary badgering

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Former AFROTC hoping to join later

                        I'd be curious as to why you were dis-enrolled from the program in your 4th year. Honestly, you would have had to really F up bad to get booted out at that stage of the game... What recourse did the AFROTC put on your for paying back your scholarship (you don't just walk away from that bill)? Normally, you have to pay it back or enlist.

                        As for your forms, CC-808 is a "Cadet Command" form so it means squat outside of ROTC. The DD 785 might give you some issues with the AF OTS depending on what Section III and IV say about you. And if it goes to your iPerms, the Army is going to see it as well. In addition, when you go to any sort of commissioning source, they ask about prior OCS/ROTC stuff and "viola", out pops that DD785.


                        There are a couple of other things I'd like to know, but I'll let the recruiting experts hash it out.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X