X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitral valve stenosis

Hi have have mitral valve stenosis been cleared by a cardiologist to go through any amount of training and I am physically fit I was wondering if the diagnosis will affect my chances of joining

Re: Mitral valve stenosis

While it's worth a med read, honestly, it's very unlikely. It IS worth a med read through MEPS though, depending on the extent of the stenosis.

Comment

Re: Mitral valve stenosis

Originally posted by Jsweens101 View Post
      Hi have have mitral valve stenosis been cleared by a cardiologist to go through any amount of training and I am physically fit I was wondering if the diagnosis will affect my chances of joining
      What I'm reading in the Medical Standards (DoDi 6130.03) is that "All valvular stenosis" is a disqualification. Now, what I'm not reading is if this means current or a history of (i.e. you previously had it, corrected it with surgery, and are currently fit for duty.). If you take a moment to look at this publication, it further outlines different examples of stenosis and I'm not seeing mitral stenosis, just mitral regurgitation. There is a surgery for this so I'm curious if this sound familiar to the procedure you had done?

Previous to this, it does mention that a "History of valvular repair or replacement" is a disqualification. So, in essence, I see some grey areas here as nothing specifically states a history of mitral valvular stenosis as an exact disqualification. Personally, the way I'm interpreting the regulation, I would lean more towards you having a hard time qualifying medically. Meaning, you'll definitely need some kind of waiver if you are not out and out disqualified for your previous medical history.

I'm by no means a doctor, and I agree with Mongoose. It's worth investigating! Sometimes you never know. Good luck! Talk to your recruiter and let us know the out come!

Comment

Working...
      X