Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here, have a couple questions about the guard!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, have a couple questions about the guard!

Hello all, my name is Dominick. I have recently taken interest in the National Guard and have a few questions.

First, a little about myself. I am currently a 21 year old fourth-year student enrolled in University and will be graduation Summer of 2013. I am obtaining my four-year bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice. I am looking to enter a career in law enforcement, yet I want to do something a little more not only for myself, but for my country. The National Guard, from what I have read and seen, seems like a perfect fit for what I am looking to accomplish. I do have a couple questions though.

My first question pertains to my current schooling/living situation. I am currently living in Colorado and want to move out to California sometime in 2014. Would it be at all possible to say, start the enlistment process with my local recruiter, finish out my schooling by July 2013, and finish BCT by the end of the year? Is it even possible to enlist while still currently enrolled in college? I'm also wondering if it possible to go through enlistment in Colorado, finish BCT while still a Colorado resident, and then move out to say San Diego, California and start drill there?

My second question pertains to my tattoos. I have read over the National Guard tattoo policy and believe I am in the clear, yet I could be wrong. I have a small tattoo on my left inner wrist that can be hidden by a watch, but is still visible when in short sleeves. This tattoo does not extend past my wrist and can be concealed when in long sleeves. I also have a tattoo on my right inner bicep that is just barely visible in short sleeves and obviously is concealable when in long sleeves. I also have a few other tattoos but none of them are visible when wearing a shirt. They are completely clean of vulgarity and do not depict any racist, sexist, or harmful images. I should be ok to go through enlistment with these tattoos correct?

Would it be best to contact my local recruiter and talk with one of them before going through the online application? I was thinking that would be a good route, I just wanted to gain a little more knowledge before heading in that direction.

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to seeing the replies in this thread.

-Dominick

Re: New here, have a couple questions about the guard!

My first question pertains to my current schooling/living situation. I am currently living in Colorado and want to move out to California sometime in 2014. Would it be at all possible to say, start the enlistment process with my local recruiter, finish out my schooling by July 2013, and finish BCT by the end of the year? Is it even possible to enlist while still currently enrolled in college? I'm also wondering if it possible to go through enlistment in Colorado, finish BCT while still a Colorado resident, and then move out to say San Diego, California and start drill there?
    OK, here we go. Can you enlist within this time frame? From what I"m reading here, you estimate that you have just over a year to get your training complete. I would say it is very possible to do your training within in a year. Getting it to fall outside of your college commitment...that can be a bit more tricky. Be sure to bring this up to your recruiter first thing.

Can you enlist while still in college. Absolutely. College is not a disqualification. It's the timing of everything that is the hard part. One thing you'll need to ask yourself is if you are willing to miss a semester to get everything done.

My second question pertains to my tattoos. I have read over the National Guard tattoo policy and believe I am in the clear, yet I could be wrong. I have a small tattoo on my left inner wrist that can be hidden by a watch, but is still visible when in short sleeves. This tattoo does not extend past my wrist and can be concealed when in long sleeves. I also have a tattoo on my right inner bicep that is just barely visible in short sleeves and obviously is concealable when in long sleeves. I also have a few other tattoos but none of them are visible when wearing a shirt. They are completely clean of vulgarity and do not depict any racist, sexist, or harmful images. I should be ok to go through enlistment with these tattoos correct?
    Based on what you posted, the short answer is, yes, you should be fine! Again, a recruiter can be a good reference on this before you head out to MEPS.

Would it be best to contact my local recruiter and talk with one of them before going through the online application? I was thinking that would be a good route, I just wanted to gain a little more knowledge before heading in that direction.
    Actually, the purpose of the online application is to get you properly connected to a local recruiter. Either way, though, you're still going to fill out the Path to Honor regardless if you talk to a recruiter or do it on your own time.

Hope this answers your questions!

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      OK, here we go. Can you enlist within this time frame? From what I"m reading here, you estimate that you have just over a year to get your training complete. I would say it is very possible to do your training within in a year. Getting it to fall outside of your college commitment...that can be a bit more tricky. Be sure to bring this up to your recruiter first.

Perfect that sounds great. Timing will be an issue so I will definitely bring it up to my local recruiter. Now, would it be possible to enlist with my local recruiter in Colorado and move out to California after completing BCT and before being attached to a unit? Or would I have to enlist in California to make this work?

I appreciate all of your help. Thank you so much!

Comment

Your best bet would be to enlist in California.

I've seen this topic covered in quite a few previous threads.

Comment

Originally posted by bai78 View Post
          Your best bet would be to enlist in California.

I've seen this topic covered in quite a few previous threads.
          I apologize. I did some searching, but must not have looked hard enough to find the answer.

I sort of figured it would be best just to enlist in California. I was hoping I could get this process started sooner, but I completely understand. Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom_F View Post
            I apologize. I did some searching, but must not have looked hard enough to find the answer.

I sort of figured it would be best just to enlist in California. I was hoping I could get this process started sooner, but I completely understand. Thank you all for your help.

You might try doing a search for IST (Interstate Transfer) on here. One of the problems with switching in between training is that many states require that you complete all your Initial Training before being allowed to transfer. Also, keep in mind that the MOS you are training for requires a slot in your current state. If you enlist in one state and move to another, you run the risk of not having a slot available. So, to sum it up, bai78 is correct. Enlisting directly in California will cut down on a lot of hassle. Are you able to do that?

Comment

You might try doing a search for IST (Interstate Transfer) on here. One of the problems with switching in between training is that many states require that you complete all your Initial Training before being allowed to transfer. Also, keep in mind that the MOS you are training for requires a slot in your current state. If you enlist in one state and move to another, you run the risk of not having a slot available. So, to sum it up, bai78 is correct. Enlisting directly in California will cut down on a lot of hassle. Are you able to do that?
              I am able to do that. I was just hoping to get the process started sooner because, well, there is really nothing I want more than this right now! You know, I never even really thought about the MOS issue so thank you for that. I will just have to decide from here whether or not I will be staying in Colorado or leaving to California.

Comment

Great! I'm glad I could help. Keep us posted on how everything works out!

Comment

Great! I'm glad I could help. Keep us posted on how everything works out!
                  Well I went and spoke with a recruiter yesterday and had all of my questions answered. I had made the decision to stick with Colorado for the foreseeable future so moving to California will not be an issue. The MOS I want is available right now by some miracle so if all goes well I will be going to MEPS next week and the whole process will get started then. If the MOS is already gone, which is likely (31b), the recruiter told me I will be on hold for another position to open up.

Once again thank you all for the help. I am excited to get this process started!

Comment

Well I went and spoke with a recruiter yesterday and had all of my questions answered. I had made the decision to stick with Colorado for the foreseeable future so moving to California will not be an issue. The MOS I want is available right now by some miracle so if all goes well I will be going to MEPS next week and the whole process will get started then. If the MOS is already gone, which is likely (31b), the recruiter told me I will be on hold for another position to open up.

Once again thank you all for the help. I am excited to get this process started!
                    Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

Sounds like everything just fell into place! Good luck with MEPS and the rest of your training .

Comment

Working...
                      X