X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waivers

I'm interested in joining the reserves as a chaplain. I have all the required degrees and am also a licensed therapist. My only flaw is that I am nearly totally deaf in one ear. Is this something they might give a waiver for given that I'm entering as a chaplain?

Re: Waivers

Normally that would be considered a disability in the military. Of course there are tests that determine exactly how "deaf" you are. If your hearing is well enough I would assume you might get by with a waiver. Speak with a recruiter in your area, they will know the latest updates on entrance processing (as policies and caps change every month in the military).

"b. Current hearing threshold level in either ear greater than that described in subparagraphs
    7.b.(1)-(3) of this enclosure does not meet the standard:
    (1) Pure tone at 500, 1000, and 2000 cycles per second for each ear of not more than 30
    decibels (dB) on the average with no individual level greater than 35 dB at those frequencies.
    (2) Pure tone level not more than 45 dB at 3000 cycles per second or 55 dB at 4000
    cycles per second for each ear.
    (3) There is no standard for 6000 cycles per second."

Comment

Lj, Are you currently ordained, and ecclesiastically endorsed with an MDiv or other theological masters with 72 credit hours?

Comment

Yes to all those. I'm a Presbyterian pastor and was ordained in 2001. I've served congregations full-time and also have a counseling degree and am licensed in two states. The ecclesiastical endorsement is perfunctory in my denomination, so once I decode to move forward the higher-ups sign off.

Comment

Originally posted by ljgreen123 View Post
          Yes to all those. I'm a Presbyterian pastor and was ordained in 2001. I've served congregations full-time and also have a counseling degree and am licensed in two states. The ecclesiastical endorsement is perfunctory in my denomination, so once I decode to move forward the higher-ups sign off.
          If there was going to be any job with a remote chance for a waiver like that.....its a chaplain.

Comment

Originally posted by ljgreen123 View Post
            I'm interested in joining the reserves as a chaplain. I have all the required degrees and am also a licensed therapist. My only flaw is that I am nearly totally deaf in one ear. Is this something they might give a waiver for given that I'm entering as a chaplain?
            If you are completely deaf in one ear, then you don't meet the standards for enlistment. However, like other posters have said, you should ultimately speak to a recruiter to determine if there is a waiver for Chaplains. Do you have one you can work with?

Comment

Working...
            X