Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

british iraq veteran looking for some info!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• british iraq veteran looking for some info!

hi!

looking for info

im a 36 year old 2003 iraq war veteran from the british army for the armored corps (challenger 2 main battle tank driver/gunner) living in fort lauderdale florida with my american wife. im am a green card holder

my question is i miss the life in the military and am thinking of trying to enlist with the national guard but i dont know if im too old or if i can on a green card?

any info would be great

thank you
    ryan

Re: british iraq veteran looking for some info!

Enlistment age is currently 35. Was 42 back in 2011 I believe. The only exception is for prior service, but somehow I don't think foreign prior service would count.
    Last edited by SteveLord; November 4th, 2012, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt. Furman
      Unfortunately for you Ryan, SteveLord is probably correct. Last time I checked the age limit was set at 42. I had checked recently, but everything can change over the coarse of a month or two when it comes to the government. I don't believe the green card would be an issue (other than supplying the proper documentation of it), but I've also known that prior service can make a big difference in your favor. I've worked with several British soldiers, and I consider them among my own brothers and sisters out in the field. Hopefully the rest of the Guard feels the same as I for your sake.
      It is 35 without prior service!

Comment

I ran into a fellow U.S. Soldier a couple of years ago and he talked as a British chap . He was very young though. You need to go speak to a recruiter.

Here is a snipet of an article in this week's Army Times. You will have to buy the newspaper or wait for the article to publicly hit the Internet

U.S. to allow more noncitizens to serve

By Andrew Tilghman

atilghman@militarytimes.com

Uncle Sam wants you
        even if you are a foreign national who is not a permanent U.S. resident.

Thousands of legal immigrants will be able to serve in the U.S. military under an expand*ed Pentagon program that aims to recruit noncitizens with critical skills, such as doc*tors, nurses and foreign language speakers.

The new program offers the only route into military service available to foreigners who do not have green cards granting them permanent residency in the U.S.

read more at this week's Army Times.

Comment

Cheers for the info! will go see a recruiter to see what the score is. thanks again

Comment

To clarify, the age requirements for PS are a minimum of 18 years old and the maximum is:

"After applicant is given credit for total prior service (Active and Reserve Component), the applicant must be able to qualify for non-regular retired pay by age 62. For applicants processing for entry into the Army National Guard, age is not a factor as long as the applicant qualifies for non-regular retired pay by age 62."

Comment

Thank you for wanting to serve here in the US. Did you serve along side US troops in Iraq?
              Last edited by robinpugs06; November 4th, 2012, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                This is what I am waiting on clarification for. Like I put in the other post on prior service age limits you took down because of the conflicting info - two memos went out the same day and one said retire with 20 by [B]60[B] one said 62...
                Its 62......

Comment

Let us know what a recruiter says about counting your prior service.
                  Last edited by robinpugs06; November 4th, 2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

My recruiter got a memo - 21160 September 2012 (EST) USAREC MESSAGE 12-241 that says 62 for RA and 60 for reserves/guard. I copied and pared the memo in the prior service memo under the post for prior service age asking if anyone could clarify and I got a private message from B.Wood that they are looking into the prior service age due to the two conflicting memos and the part was deleted until they got final word from NGB.
                    I told you this when I posted it before...that memo may very well exist but the Guard doesn't fall under USAREC. We have nothing to do with them. Their messages mean diddly poo to us.
                    Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; November 4th, 2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                      I told you this when I posted it before...that memo may very well exist but the Guard doesn't fall under USAREC. We have nothing to do with them. Their messages mean diddly poo to us.
                      I understand
                      Last edited by robinpugs06; November 5th, 2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

I understand that the Guard doesn't fall under USAREC BUT this is what his recruiter said the NGB said to go by. And if the Guard doesn't fall under it then why does it say:
                        " (b) PS members processing for the Reserve Components (AR/ARNG):
                        after member is given credit for total prior service (Active and
                        Reserve Component) the member must be able to qualify for
                        non-regular retired pay by age 60. For members processing for
                        entry into an RC age is not a factor as long as the member
                        qualifies for non-regular retired pay by age 60."
                        The only answer I can give you is I don't know why it says that. I also understand how it would be easy for someone to just say "just go by that". I also realize how many people in the guard, including R&R people confuse the rules with the RA and USAR.

I still will say, USAREC doesn't control our recruiting efforts with their internal messages.

It's 62.

Whether you can get someone to entertain that long enough for them to enlist you is another story. Furthermore, it could be a lower number state by state. But generically speaking, for NGB, its 62.

Comment

didnt mean to start a debate!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rabcnesbitt View Post
                            didnt mean to start a debate!!!
                            Sorry about that....
                            Last edited by robinpugs06; November 5th, 2012, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Hi Robin. How is it that you manage to post age related posts about as much as I change my undies?

ALL components fall under AR 601-210 for enlistment standards. This is a change from back a few years ago when the Guard fell under NGR 600-200. Next, is the issue of regulation and current policy. For example AR 601-210 Chapter 2-3 regulates the initial non-prior service age not to exceed 42. That is currently being superceded by current policy. NGB and USAREC policy CAN be different (as Paralegal pointed out). When the most recent age shift was made (less than 2 years ago), there was a time period where NGB had lowered it to 36, but the USAR was still at 42! It's all based on the numbers game.

Comment

Working...
                              X