Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

british iraq veteran looking for some info!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: british iraq veteran looking for some info!

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
    Hi Robin. How is it that you manage to post age related posts about as much as I change my undies?

ALL components fall under AR 601-210 for enlistment standards. This is a change from back a few years ago when the Guard fell under NGR 600-200. Next, is the issue of regulation and current policy. For example AR 601-210 Chapter 2-3 regulates the initial non-prior service age not to exceed 42. That is currently being superceded by current policy. NGB and USAREC policy CAN be different (as Paralegal pointed out). When the most recent age shift was made (less than 2 years ago), there was a time period where NGB had lowered it to 36, but the USAR was still at 42! It's all based on the numbers game.
    And most importantly, NGB controls that difference from USAREC.

Comment

Right. Within the bounds of the regulation. Sometimes when I'm on the phone with someone at NGB, they take it a step further and notice how they feel like their job is like dealing with 53 separate armies. Which, if you look at how the Militia Act of 1903 and the National Defense Act of 1916 deliniate the National Guard Chain of Command it's really a complex relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        Right. Within the bounds of the regulation. Sometimes when I'm on the phone with someone at NGB, they take it a step further and notice how they feel like their job is like dealing with 53 separate armies. Which, if you look at how the Militia Act of 1903 and the National Defense Act of 1916 deliniate the National Guard Chain of Command it's really a complex relationship.
        There is 54

DC, Guam, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.

Comment

@#%! it. I forgot DC when I did the math.

Comment

Best of luck to you OP, keep is posted
            Last edited by robinpugs06; November 5th, 2012, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Who the heck is "The Army"?? lol. Is that a he or she?

Robin, the Army can call you a nuisance, a person that is trying to get back in and associates with other people that are trying to get in and then telling them how to do their business lol SMH. I think I will be long retired from "The Army" by time this debate is settled lol.

Frustrated? Why the heck did he wait to the last minute to try to rejoin? Because he is a former Rakkassan that met you and now wants to relive his glory? haha. Jeez h. heist!

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06
                I didn't tell anyone how to do their business. I have used this forum as a way to get information as well as to help others get information. How is that telling anyone how to do their job? His recruiter emailed that USAREC message and said he was too old after he had already been told he was good to go - I had nothing to do with that. That message contradicted what was posted on this forum so I was trying to get clarification.
                You can call me a nuisance all you want. I want to serve my country and apparently that isn't good enough for you and I could care less about what you think of me. Why he wants to reenlist is his business. He served over 6 years honorably and doesn't need to answer to you or anyone else.
                All I am trying to do is get clarification on something that can help him and possibly others on this site. Why you have to constantly get on my case is beyond me? I only served 2.5 months (through no fault of my own) and I am trying to reenlist - not good enough. My bf served over 6 years and wants to reenlist - not good enough. His son is in the process of joining the Army as a senior in high school - he associates with me - not good enough. But, do what you have to do. Most people on this forum are very helpful and I am grateful for them.
                As far as me associating with other people that want to get in...That is an assumption you made all on your own. Him and his son are the only two people I associate with that are trying to get in.
                OK, everyone, back on topic. Bottom line, AR 601-210 is the regulation to refer to and it states:

"3–3. Age
                Applicant is eligible for enlistment if any of the following apply:
                a. An applicant is eligible for RA enlistment if applicant’s age, when subtracting prior honorable active Service
                completed in any military Service, is not more than 42 and the applicant can qualify for regular retirement with 20 or
                more years of active Federal Service by age 62.
                b. Applicant is eligible for enlistment in the AR or ARNG if they are not less than 18 years of age and can qualify
                for retired pay by age 62. To be eligible for nonregular retired pay, an individual must meet eligibility criteria outlined
                in AR 135–180.
                c. An applicant is exempt from age criteria outlined above and therefore is eligible for enlistment if they can qualify
                for retirement by age 62, does not have 20 or more years of active Service, and is a former member of Service."

Hopefully, OP, that has answered your question. Please let us know if you have more!

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                  OK, everyone, back on topic. Bottom line, AR 601-210 is the regulation to refer to and it states:

"3–3. Age
                  Applicant is eligible for enlistment if any of the following apply:
                  a. An applicant is eligible for RA enlistment if applicant’s age, when subtracting prior honorable active Service
                  completed in any military Service, is not more than 42 and the applicant can qualify for regular retirement with 20 or
                  more years of active Federal Service by age 62.
                  b. Applicant is eligible for enlistment in the AR or ARNG if they are not less than 18 years of age and can qualify
                  for retired pay by age 62. To be eligible for nonregular retired pay, an individual must meet eligibility criteria outlined
                  in AR 135–180.
                  c. An applicant is exempt from age criteria outlined above and therefore is eligible for enlistment if they can qualify
                  for retirement by age 62, does not have 20 or more years of active Service, and is a former member of Service."

Hopefully, OP, that has answered your question. Please let us know if you have more!
                  Yes, but the regulation isn't the final answer in the context you put it. USAREC can still make business rules and policies making these stipulations more restrictive, which they are currently doing. Just because the reg says you can join if you are not over 100, doesn't mean they cannot have an operating policy that says we are currently not accepting anyone over 75.

All I am saying, is that USAREC doesn't control our recruiting efforts with those said internal policies in the National Guard.

Comment

Sorry to ask this and get some of you irritated but...
                    Is there anyway a civilian can contact The NGB to get clarification? MEPS in Mass are the ones telling the recruiter it is 60 based on that USAREC message and they won't allow my bf to physical because of it. If MEPS says it is 60 there is no way to bypass them. They need to be proven wrong somehow...
                    Yes and No...because if Mass wants it to be 60 then its 60, if they want it to be 55, then its 55....while in another state it could be 58, so I think it would be relevant.

Just for the purposes of seeing how far you can get....attempt enlisting in a neighboring state, without mentioning this issue and see what they say. You could always sneak in that way if they let you and and IST back.

Comment

On top of that...even though in all my years I have never ever seen USAREC stuff apply to the Guard and I still hold my stance, telling someone the guy on the internet told you so isn't going to get you anything but laughed at; regardless of how right I may or may not be. (I'm right)

Comment

We are in Connecticut but the MEPS is in Massachusetts so wouldn't they have to go by the State's policy where you are enlisting? The surrounding states also use the Mass MEPS.
                        I don't know that each state would have a different individual written policy. They may have voluntarily adopted that USAREC message to take the easy way out...doesn't mean they were forced to.

I'm telling you...best bet at this point is a neighboring state with a different meps.

Comment

Springfield MEPS!! I been there so many times when I was in the Connecticut Guard from 98-03. They have their NG liaisons over there so you need to talk to them.

Comment

From what I read, the MASS recruiter makes sense based on his current age. He is right because that is what applied to me; even when I switched from the Guard to AD back in 2003. When I switched to AD, my age with my active years of service had to be below 35 and I was 38 at the time; even though I was already in the Guard.

Comment

Are there any recruiters on this forum that don't view the policy like those two in my above post are?
                              Both those recruiters are on crack. Try again.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                                Both those recruiters are on crack. Try again.
                                Yes this part was crackish lol the 62 years of age is for people that has completed 18yrs of service and are at the age of 60.

But his first sentence made sense.

Keep calling the rest of the country to find out.

Comment

Working...
                                X