X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waiting, waiting, and more waiting

Well I am trying to join the Guard. I got arrested when I was 14 for drug possession. Stayed in detention for 2 weeks,went to court, did my probation, and stayed out of trouble to this day. I told my recruiter that I thought I got charged with a felony. He looked into it and I never got charged with with the felony because I did my probation/ payed my fines. My background check had nothing to show. I know the National Guard does not take juvenile or adult felonies. Are my chances going through MEPS without any problems any good?
    Last edited by lovelife; November 3rd, 2012, 02:17 AM.

Re: waiting, waiting, and more waiting

Not really. And if you want a former recruiter's reason why, its because you talk too much. At MEPS if you say what you just said here, you're done. You did the crime, you served punishment, that is considered guilty. There is no "you weren't charged". You did probation for felony drug possession and there is an arrest record at the local police department. Even if MEPS doesn't see it, when they do your security check, the investigator will probably find it.

Good luck, but don't hold your breath.

Comment

Originally posted by lovelife View Post
      Well I am trying to join the Guard. I got arrested when I was 14 for drug possession. Stayed in detention for 2 weeks,went to court, did my probation, and stayed out of trouble to this day. I told my recruiter that I thought I got charged with a felony. He looked into it and I never got charged with with the felony because I did my probation/ payed my fines. My background check had nothing to show. I know the National Guard does not take juvenile or adult felonies. Are my chances going through MEPS without any problems any good?
      I still remain incredibly perplexed when people don't know what they were arrested for / convicted of. I just don't get how you could not know that.

Comment

Just so you know, right now there is absolutely no tolerance for illegal substance involvement, juvenile or otherwise. Unfortunately, OP, if you have any kind of conviction, you are disqualified to enlist as these types of waivers are currently suspended.

Paralegal, do you know a reason this may not have shown up in his background check? If he was "arrested" and served probation, wouldn't that be SOMEWHERE? Just looking for some clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          Just so you know, right now there is absolutely no tolerance for illegal substance involvement, juvenile or otherwise. Unfortunately, OP, if you have any kind of conviction, you are disqualified to enlist as these types of waivers are currently suspended.

Paralegal, do you know a reason this may not have shown up in his background check? If he was "arrested" and served probation, wouldn't that be SOMEWHERE? Just looking for some clarification.
          Some states house juvenile records; or report them in such a way that they won't show. Its just the way it is. Is it there somewhere?..maybe, probably. But they wouldn't report something like this to NCIC.

It also can depend on where they did the record check. For example, I believe the old police check rules had recruiters check every place you lived, worked and went to school. In a state like North Carolina, a record check in one county only shows that county, and not the entire state.

In a state like NJ, there are no misdemeanors or felonies....there are only crimes and offenses. Offenses many times will not show on a criminal record check because it is technically not a crime.

And then there are some states that do a mini expungement if you will...automatically sealing records after your 18th birthday.

There are so many variable, especially with juvenile misdemeanors..(I doubt his charge was actually a felony), even if it was a felony, the rest of what I said holds true.
          Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; November 4th, 2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
            Some states house juvenile records; or report them in such a way that they won't show. Its just the way it is. Is it there somewhere?..maybe, probably. But they wouldn't report something like this to NCIC.

It also can depend on where they did the record check. For example, I believe the old police check rules had recruiters check every place you lived, worked and went to school. In a state like North Carolina, a record check in one county only shows that county, and not the entire state.

In a state like NJ, there are no misdemeanors or felonies....there are only crimes and offenses. Offenses many times will not show on a criminal record check because it is technically not a crime.

And then there are some states that do a mini expungement if you will...automatically sealing records after your 18th birthday.

There are so many variable, especially with juvenile misdemeanors..(I doubt his charge was actually a felony), even if it was a felony, the rest of what I said holds true.
            Gotcha! It's definitely not a black and white issue. I appreciate the clarification!

Comment

So it's basically down to my state's law and how they handle juvenile records?

Comment

So it's basically down to my state's law and how they handle juvenile records?
                No, not what I said. Your state law or how they handle the record has ZERO to do with the Army's enlistment rules. It doesn't change the Army's take on anything.

State laws and juvenile records MAY effect who can see what.

Take that as you will.

More importantly, how in the universe do you not know what you were charged with? ....Always, ALWAYS beyond mind boggling when people say that.

Comment

Honestly, this is worth vetting through your local RRNCO.

Comment

Working...
                  X