Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I join the guard with my non felony charges?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I join the guard with my non felony charges?

I was denied from the US army and Marines because of my criminal background.

2 counts of Receiving stolen property (withdrawn)
    2 counts of Theft by unlawful taking (withdrawn)
    (withdrawn - moved to non traffic)

changed to 4 counts of chriminal misch. (summary offences)

What happend: 8/2008
    I was caught stealing tools valued at $1200, and stole a laptop+sold it. all tools were returned, including the laptop. Payed fines ($1200)

since I was unable to join the U.S. Army, and Marines. I would like to know if I am able to join the National Guard. My Army recruiter said that they may be able to do a waiver...and I am currently waiting on my National guard recuiter to look into my case. I would just like a second opinion on someone who know the FACTS.

please. just looking for some info...

Re: Can I join the guard with my non felony charges?

Originally posted by josuemarbach View Post
    I was denied from the US army and Marines because of my criminal background.

2 counts of Receiving stolen property (withdrawn)
    2 counts of Theft by unlawful taking (withdrawn)
    (withdrawn - moved to non traffic)

changed to 4 counts of chriminal misch. (summary offences)

What happend: 8/2008
    I was caught stealing tools valued at $1200, and stole a laptop+sold it. all tools were returned, including the laptop. Payed fines ($1200)

since I was unable to join the U.S. Army, and Marines. I would like to know if I am able to join the National Guard. My Army recruiter said that they may be able to do a waiver...and I am currently waiting on my National guard recuiter to look into my case. I would just like a second opinion on someone who know the FACTS.

please. just looking for some info...
    Right now there is a suspension on waivers (other then medical) and you would DEFINITELY need a waiver. So as of right now, you would not be able to join!

Comment

I would not think the Army National Guard will be different than the Active Army or Marines in accepting you. This is a very serious crime and you probably disqualified yourself from military and law enforcement service.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        I would not think the Army National Guard will be different than the Active Army or Marines in accepting you. This is a very serious crime and you probably disqualified yourself from military and law enforcement service.
        The Guard is almost always different from the Active Army and the way different from the Marines. However, right now waivers are shut down and I am pretty sure you would need one. Your best bet is to talk to your local recruiter. If the charges are waiverable, then he can have it all together and ready to send, if the waiver gate opens. Have you already taken the ASVAB? If not, you can knock that out as well and then you will be prequalified hopefully making it quicker, but definately helping you pick an MOS which means a command to process the waiver through.

Did you process at all for the other services or did they just tell you no way? A great deal depends on how the charges are listed in the system as well as how they were ajudicated. Your recruiter will know what can and what won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by SNOC View Post
          The Guard is almost always different from the Active Army and the way different from the Marines. However, right now waivers are shut down and I am pretty sure you would need one. Your best bet is to talk to your local recruiter. If the charges are waiverable, then he can have it all together and ready to send, if the waiver gate opens. Have you already taken the ASVAB? If not, you can knock that out as well and then you will be prequalified hopefully making it quicker, but definately helping you pick an MOS which means a command to process the waiver through.

Did you process at all for the other services or did they just tell you no way? A great deal depends on how the charges are listed in the system as well as how they were ajudicated. Your recruiter will know what can and what won't work.
          Thanks, Yes I did take the Asvab, and I already did my physical. I processed through the army, I was going to enter in under the ACASP program and everything...its a real bummer.. my recruiter thought I could join with my charges, but at the last minute, it turned out I couldn't. well thanks for information. I will wait till monday and see what my national guard recruiter says. He told me a few days ago, that the guard is currently accepting waivers...so I dont know.

Comment

Originally posted by SNOC View Post

I know that requirements are different based on State vs Federal needs but let's say a person was arrested for possession and distribution of cocaine and disqualified from the Army and the Marines; I highly doubt the Army National will provide a waiver for that. If anything; will a bigger pool for the US Army to fill; the leniency should tilt towards them. I would add that the leniency on the Guard will mostly likely fall upon PS with unfavorable RE codes.

My response is simply saying that what his record shows; he is probably PDQ across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
              Right now there is a suspension on waivers (other then medical) and you would DEFINITELY need a waiver. So as of right now, you would not be able to join!
              To clarify, it is a suspension on MAJOR misconduct, not all conduct waivers. This suspension is specific to the Army National Guard, so I'm not sure if the Active Army has the same suspension, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. OP, talk to a recruiter to verify where your past convictions fall.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                I know that requirements are different based on State vs Federal needs but let's say a person was arrested for possession and distribution of cocaine and disqualified from the Army and the Marines; I highly doubt the Army National will provide a waiver for that. If anything; will a bigger pool for the US Army to fill; the leniency should tilt towards them. I would add that the leniency on the Guard will mostly likely fall upon PS with unfavorable RE codes.

My response is simply saying that what his record shows; he is probably PDQ across the board.
                One thing I want to make sure readers know is that not all conduct waivers are suspended. Like I just mentioned above, Major Misconduct waivers are completely gone right now. This includes specifically any conviction that relates to drugs. Major or minor, there is no tolerance for illegal substance involvement.

Aside from that, minor conduct waivers are open for review.

Comment

The amount is too high. $1200 represents a Major Misconduct. Currently waivers are not being considered.

Comment

Working...
                  X