X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Waiver for Gallbladder removal

I was in the process of enlistment as an officer in the Michigan National Guard after graduating from Michigan State University with a Bachelor's degree. And ended up having gallbladder removal due to biliary dyskinesia, processed through meps with a hold waiting on medical records. I gave my medical records and was dq'd due to the fact that the surgery was within the past 180 days. Applied for a waiver and got a reapply when 180 days are up. The standards of fitness states that after 180 days no waiver is needed if asymptomatic. My question is will I automatically get the waiver or clearance now that I am not dq'd by medical standards?

Re: Medical Waiver for Gallbladder removal

I'm actually seeing in the Medical Standards DoD 6130.3 that you have to wait 6 months after procedure:

"Cholecystectomy [removal of gallbladder] DOES meet the standard if performed more than 6 months prior to examination and patient
    remains asymptomatic." pg 22

Based on this, I would apply for a waiver if you're wanting to start training sooner. There's no set rule on how long a waiver will take, so I would recommend talking to your Recruiter to get an idea on a timeline and to verify if it's worth pushing for it.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      I'm actually seeing in the Medical Standards DoD 6130.3 that you have to wait 6 months after procedure:

"Cholecystectomy [removal of gallbladder] DOES meet the standard if performed more than 6 months prior to examination and patient
      remains asymptomatic." pg 22

Based on this, I would apply for a waiver if you're wanting to start training sooner. There's no set rule on how long a waiver will take, so I would recommend talking to your Recruiter to get an idea on a timeline and to verify if it's worth pushing for it.

Keep us posted.
      I did apply for a waiver but was told once the 6months was up that I would have to reapply. Which is my question. If it is has been 6 months then why would I still need a waiver or is it an automatic waiver with no issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Housekeeper View Post
        I did apply for a waiver but was told once the 6months was up that I would have to reapply. Which is my question. If it is has been 6 months then why would I still need a waiver or is it an automatic waiver with no issues?
        I can definitely see where you're coming from on this. It does seem a bit redundant to ask for a waiver once you meet the standards. My thoughts are, if a waiver is requested after the 6 months has passed, then I see this as a means to verify that you meet the above standards; i.e. that it is not a chronic issue, you are healed, and fit for duty. Being a straight forward medical issue, I can't imagine it taking long to get a waiver put through; since technically you meet the requirements. Bottom line is, if MEPS is asking for a waiver, then they do not consider you automatically eligible medically. That means you have to show proof that you are.

Hope this helps. I'm sure you are, but continue to work with your recruiter on this.

Comment

I understand your question and confusion. Some of how MEPS does things doesn't seem to make much sense. I went to MEPS 3 weeks ago. I had shoulder surgery in 1998 - The issue I had was fixed and I have had no issues since. The initial doctor I saw at MEPS wanted to approve me because I have had no problems and the initial problem is gone. But, the head doctor reviewed it and dqed me because of a "history of" and now I have to wait for a waiver.
          Best of luck to you!

Comment

Working...
          X