X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlistment Questions. Again.

So, I'm trying to enlist. I think I want to enlist in the National Guard, because it would have the most education benefits. While I am in no tight spot for paying for my education, it would be nice to be able to enlist so my mom could keep the money for her retirement (she was supposed to retire 3 years ago but is still working so I can go to college) and I could still go to school. I was thinking about just doing Army Reserves, but their benefits didn't sound as good for people who are just enlisted and not in a medical field. If anyone could better explain to me which would be better recommended for benefits?
    Also, the recruiter in my city has been really bad at getting back to me with information. I was wondering if it would be wrong for me to go to another city to talk to a recruiter there, and get information...MEPS is in that city anyways, and it's not that far away. Just to expedite the process.

So my questions are
    1. Which has better education benefits: Guard or Army Reserves? Or are they about equal?
    2. Can I go to another city than mine to get the enlistment process started?

Re: Enlistment Questions. Again.

1) In the Guard we are dual-status, that is we serve both the Governor(s) of our state(s) and the President. That said, the Guard gets all the federal benefits that the Army Reserve gets plus each state adds more on top of that (more tuition assistance, free license plates, etc.). The additional benefits vary by state and you can research to see what would apply to you.

2) Yes. You aren't limited to where you can reach out to a recruiter. If you're willing to commute, you can even go to another state. It's all relative. Do what's best for you in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanti View Post
      So, I'm trying to enlist. I think I want to enlist in the National Guard, because it would have the most education benefits. While I am in no tight spot for paying for my education, it would be nice to be able to enlist so my mom could keep the money for her retirement (she was supposed to retire 3 years ago but is still working so I can go to college) and I could still go to school. I was thinking about just doing Army Reserves, but their benefits didn't sound as good for people who are just enlisted and not in a medical field. If anyone could better explain to me which would be better recommended for benefits?
      Also, the recruiter in my city has been really bad at getting back to me with information. I was wondering if it would be wrong for me to go to another city to talk to a recruiter there, and get information...MEPS is in that city anyways, and it's not that far away. Just to expedite the process.

So my questions are
      1. Which has better education benefits: Guard or Army Reserves? Or are they about equal?
      2. Can I go to another city than mine to get the enlistment process started?
      Where do you live? and Where do you want to go to school?

Comment

I am living and going to school in Athens, OH. But I'm a resident of New Mexico. I was just going to go up to Columbus to talk to a recruiter.

Comment

Shanti,

Posts on this site will invariably lead you to the Path To Honor website, so you can fill out the pre-qualification questionare. Which specific recruiter is assigned to you is a state specific matrix. Some states assign particular recruiters to particular home of record or school zip codes which determine who you will deal with specifically. Some have a more open ended approach. Either way, filling out the application completely (this may take a couple hours of your time) will expidite your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            Shanti,

Posts on this site will invariably lead you to the Path To Honor website, so you can fill out the pre-qualification questionare. Which specific recruiter is assigned to you is a state specific matrix. Some states assign particular recruiters to particular home of record or school zip codes which determine who you will deal with specifically. Some have a more open ended approach. Either way, filling out the application completely (this may take a couple hours of your time) will expidite your situation.
            Agreed! And since I'm the official pusher of the Pre-Qualification form , let me give you the direct link: Pre-Qualification Form

Lightheartedness aside, if you are having a hard time working with one recruiter, it really is OK to seek out another. I've said this before; no one is going to take your enlistment as seriously as you are. So, don't hesitate to get the help you need.

Let me know if you have any questions with the application. It does have two parts to it. You will know everything is complete and on it's way to a recruiter once you get an email confirmation.

Comment

Working...
            X