Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on sealed juvenile medical records?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on sealed juvenile medical records?

I am new to this site so first of all, hello denizens of the forum!

And now to the question:
    I am almost 18 and my best friend (17) and I want to join the Guard together when we're both 18, but she has a concern over medical records. I am asking this for her so she'll stop bugging the living crap out of me every waking moment (and because she lives in the boonies and doesn't have any Internet).

She had juvenile depression and was voluntarily hospitalized from that for 5 days about 5 years ago, but she improved a whole bunch over time, is not taking any meds anymore and her psychiatrist pronounced her psychologically normal. If she just *weren't* to tell them about the juvenile depression, would that be considered lying?

Many thanks to anybody with a good answer.

(edited for clarity & new information)
    -J.C. & K.A
    Last edited by WIskiTango95; October 21st, 2012, 06:35 PM. Reason: clarity and new information

Re: Question on sealed juvenile medical records?

Originally posted by WIskiTango95 View Post

And now to the question:
    I am almost 18 and my best friend (17) and I want to join the Guard together when we're both 18, but she has a concern over juvenile medical records. I am asking this for her so she'll stop bugging the living crap outta me every waking moment (and because she lives in the boonies and doesn't have any Internet).

She had juvenile depression and was voluntarily hospitalized from that for 5 days about 5 years ago, but she improved a whole lot over time, is not taking any meds anymore and her psychiatrist pronounced her perfectly normal or whatever. She wants to get her juvenile medical records sealed, but is worried about if they could somehow access her sealed records and DQ her based off of that even though she is cleared psychologically normal.

-J.C. & K.A
    Inpatient treatment for depression can be a disqualifier.

To answer your question though, medical records are not like criminal records. There is no such thing as "sealing" a juvenile medical record, or even a "juvenile" medical record at all for that matter.

They don't, and cannot "access" anything. In terms of medical records, they only know what you tell them.

The only way you/him/she will know for sure if you are qualified is to speak with a recruiter and review said records.

Comment

Re: Question on medical records?

Oh, ok. I asked my parents about it and they thought med records could be sealed like criminal records (shows how much we know, lol!)

Thanks much for the info.
      Last edited by WIskiTango95; October 21st, 2012, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Ok, is it just me being old or does it seem like more and more young kids are being treated for depression and put on a ton of meds?

Comment

Probably the latter- I think some parents see 'depression' when it's just plain teenage angst and decide to load them up on all the pills they can find to 'cure' it. Either that- or the state of the economy is starting to affect us younger folks as well... bahahaha :P

Comment

A few years ago I was in an elementary school and we saw a cart being wheeled down the hall with meds on it to be administered to students from the nurse. I said, wow, thats alot of meds for one school. It wasnt for the school, it was for one kindergarten class.

Comment

Dang...! 0.o That's scary.

Comment

All medical conditions need to be disclosed to the Recruiter so they can forward the documentation to the DR at MEPS to determine if she is qualified or not. Mental disorders are nothing to hide. Basic training is a stressful environment.

Comment

And now to the question:
                  I am almost 18 and my best friend (17) and I want to join the Guard together when we're both 18, but she has a concern over medical records. I am asking this for her so she'll stop bugging the living crap out of me every waking moment (and because she lives in the boonies and doesn't have any Internet).

She had juvenile depression and was voluntarily hospitalized from that for 5 days about 5 years ago, but she improved a whole bunch over time, is not taking any meds anymore and her psychiatrist pronounced her psychologically normal. If she just *weren't* to tell them about the juvenile depression, would that be considered lying?

(edited for clarity & new information)
                  -J.C. & K.A
                  Unfortunately, there is currently a suspension on any medical waivers for depression, regardless of how long ago. As other posters mentioned above, it's not only part of the Army Values for an applicant to be honest about their medical history, but it is also a safety issue. I can't stress enough how important it is to disclose medical issues that can affect an applicants' capability to properly serve their commitment.

Suspensions don't last forever, and based on what you posted, she would have a good chance of getting a waiver having so many years beyond an episode. You can check out the Medical Regulation 40-501 for more details on this. Let her know her best course of action is to keep in contact with a recruiter to learn if and when the suspension lifts.

Comment

10-4. Thanks for the info, everybody! My friend might try for a waiver- whatever happens will happen. She also wants to see if it's something she still really wants to do, so she told me to go full steam ahead on my path to the Guard and she's going to 'watch from the sidelines'.

In the mean time, I spoke with my recruiter and I'm going to take the ASVAB and fill out the online application in the next couple weeks. I can't wait...!

Once again, thanks everybody!

J.C. & K.A.

Comment

10-4. Thanks for the info, everybody! My friend might try for a waiver- whatever happens will happen. She also wants to see if it's something she still really wants to do, so she told me to go full steam ahead on my path to the Guard and she's going to 'watch from the sidelines'.

In the mean time, I spoke with my recruiter and I'm going to take the ASVAB and fill out the online application in the next couple weeks. I can't wait...!

J.C. & K.A.
                      Best of luck to you - keep us posted!

Comment

J.C. & K.A.
                        Awesome! Glad to hear you got some good answers on here. Good luck to both of you on your enlistment! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Comment

10-4! Her and I are working out together because we both need to lose some weight before MEPS. I've got about 10 lbs to go.

I'm most of the way through my Path to Honor application. I spoke with my recruiter again, and I'm going to take the ASVAB this Thurs. Then after my parents meet with the recruiter and sign me away (lol!) hopefully, it's off to MEPS!

Comment

Keep it up! Ultimately, it's far worth the effort!

Comment

10-4! Her and I are working out together because we both need to lose some weight before MEPS. I've got about 10 lbs to go.

I'm most of the way through my Path to Honor application. I spoke with my recruiter again, and I'm going to take the ASVAB this Thurs. Then after my parents meet with the recruiter and sign me away (lol!) hopefully, it's off to MEPS!
                              This will help you guys keep track of where you need to be fitness-wise: Fitness Calculator

Comment

Working...
                              X