X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Option for 11C

Hello, my name is D.J. Lindsay. I'm looking forward to joining the NG around December. I'm doing split option, what I want to know is, how will the MOS 11C work with the split option training. I thought that infantry school was a OSUT?

Re: Split Option for 11C

Originally posted by linddawg View Post
    Hello, my name is D.J. Lindsay. I'm looking forward to joining the NG around December. I'm doing split option, what I want to know is, how will the MOS 11C work with the split option training. I thought that infantry school was a OSUT?
    I am unable to answer your question, however there are plenty of others that will chime in on the split option. I would like to say that you have chosen a great MOS. If you didn't know, going through 11C training will also make you a qualified 11B...that means more opportunity for you.

Comment

Thank you, I'm actually looking forward to going active duty or Army, or joining the USMC when my contract is up.

Comment

Originally posted by linddawg View Post
        Thank you, I'm actually looking forward to going active duty or Army, or joining the USMC when my contract is up.
        Honestly, if those are your goals, what is stopping you from doing that now? With the draw downs and the wars ending, it is becoming really really hard, and at times impossible for prior service military to join active duty military components.

Comment

I'm still in High School. That's the only reason why I'm going the NG.

Comment

I think I have answered this question 500 times on this forum hehe.

It is called OSUT because with certain MOSes you can go to basic and AIT at the same location and have the same drill sergeants. I went to 12B combat engineer OSUT in 1983 and was split-op. I went back to AIT in 1984 after I graduated HS.

Also, I switched to the Marines later on when I was 21 and served four years and came back to the Army NG seven years later; then switched to Army active duty, six years after that.

When I switched to the Marines, I had to complete Marine Corps boot camp (and that will never change for prior service going into the Marines). Many soldiers have done this but in hindsight; it is sadistic and crazy to do so. Also, with today's situation of a massive draw down, switching is not at all easy to do.

If joining the Marines is your true ambition, I suggest that you wait to you 18 to enlist. If you go Guard first; there is no guarantee that you will be able to switch.
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; October 20th, 2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X