Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here... needs some advice!

Hi all,

My name is Nathan and I am totally new here. I would need some help with the following:

I am a relatively fresh US citizen (and very proud of that fact) and I lead a professional life (own my own business). However, I DO want to serve our country and join the military AS A SECOND JOB/Part time. Is there such a thing, or am I out of line here?
    I really do not care about pay (I make money from my main job), all I care about is serving our country, joining the military in some way and get my military ID (which will make my father proud) and working part time (because I have a life to live but in the meantime I would like to do good for our country!).

Is there anything like that? And if yes, who should I contact?

BTW, I am based in Las Vegas.

Your responses are much appreciated and if you need any additional info that I forgot to mention please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks!
    Last edited by sfoboy85; October 20th, 2012, 02:27 AM.

Re: Newbie here... needs some advice!

Welcome to the forums Nathan, good to have you on the line, and congrats on your recent citizenship.

If you are looking at the military for part-time you are in the right place. However, before you dive too deep into the military realize its not ONLY part-time, there is a potential for you to be mobilized/deployed no matter what branch or component you choose to join.

Are you wanting to enlist or become an officer? You will have to pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test, which is essentially a computer-based test to assess your overall knowledge in areas such as math, science, grammar, etc. You will also have to pass a medical physical prior to joining. If you want to enlist, the process is relatively shorter you need to contact a recruiter in your area first to get the process started. If you want to become an Officer you will need at least a Bachelors degree and go through OCS, ROTC, or go through one of the U.S. Military Academies.

From the point you're at right now, you've come to the right place, but the internet is your friend. Look on the main site (www.nationalguard.com) and research things you want to know about the military, this will answer a lot of questions you may have. Also, there should be an area where you can locate recruiters in your area on the main site. There are a lot of variables you will need to decide before you begin the process, but most importantly you need to figure out what you want/need to make the best decision for yourself/your family.

Good luck, and if you have questions there are a multitude of Soldiers on these forums that can help.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
      Welcome to the forums Nathan, good to have you on the line, and congrats on your recent citizenship.

If you are looking at the military for part-time you are in the right place. However, before you dive too deep into the military realize its not ONLY part-time, there is a potential for you to be mobilized/deployed no matter what branch or component you choose to join.

Are you wanting to enlist or become an officer? You will have to pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test, which is essentially a computer-based test to assess your overall knowledge in areas such as math, science, grammar, etc. You will also have to pass a medical physical prior to joining. If you want to enlist, the process is relatively shorter you need to contact a recruiter in your area first to get the process started. If you want to become an Officer you will need at least a Bachelors degree and go through OCS, ROTC, or go through one of the U.S. Military Academies.

From the point you're at right now, you've come to the right place, but the internet is your friend. Look on the main site (www.nationalguard.com) and research things you want to know about the military, this will answer a lot of questions you may have. Also, there should be an area where you can locate recruiters in your area on the main site. There are a lot of variables you will need to decide before you begin the process, but most importantly you need to figure out what you want/need to make the best decision for yourself/your family.

Good luck, and if you have questions there are a multitude of Soldiers on these forums that can help.
      Congratulations on your new citizenship! To add to what LoneStarSoldier said, here's a good place to start on the National Guard website: Guard Basics. There's also lots of past threads here on the Forum that cover some of the basics so hopefully you get a chance to look around! If you find you have more questions, be sure to post them!
      Last edited by RyCass; October 23rd, 2012, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Contact are Recruiter for specifics or go to Path to Honor and start the process.

Comment

Guys,

Thank you very much for all the links and other tips. I will definitely follow up with them.

Wish all of you the very best!

God bless America!

Comment

To add to what's been said already, you will have to go through the initial training period (BCT/AIT) which can take anywhere from 14 weeks to over a year to complete depending on your military job specialty. With you owning your own business, you have to consider whether or not your business can survive you being away for that period of time, not to mention the possibility of deployments. For example, I'm training as a 15U chinook mechanic, so I'll be away from my regular full time job for 27 weeks to do my military training.

To answer your other question, in the National Guard you can expect to serve at minimum one weekend a month for drill and a two week period each year for Annual Training.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by sv9cannon View Post
              To add to what's been said already, you will have to go through the initial training period (BCT/AIT) which can take anywhere from 14 weeks to over a year to complete depending on your military job specialty. With you owning your own business, you have to consider whether or not your business can survive you being away for that period of time, not to mention the possibility of deployments. For example, I'm training as a 15U chinook mechanic, so I'll be away from my regular full time job for 27 weeks to do my military training.

To answer your other question, in the National Guard you can expect to serve at minimum one weekend a month for drill and a two week period each year for Annual Training.

Best of luck!

Excellent point! Getting ready for training can take some planning ahead and preventive measures.

Comment

Working...
              X