Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not letting in anyone with depression or anxiety in their past?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not letting in anyone with depression or anxiety in their past?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew when the ARNG was planning on lifting the suspension of people trying to enlist with mild depression in their past. Haven't had any treatment for it ever and never took meds, but I heard they aren't letting anyone in right now if they've had it in their med history. Thanks!

Re: Not letting in anyone with depression or anxiety in their past?

Originally posted by squeekboy View Post
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew when the ARNG was planning on lifting the suspension of people trying to enlist with mild depression in their past. Haven't had any treatment for it ever and never took meds, but I heard they aren't letting anyone in right now if they've had it in their med history. Thanks!
    As far as medical history, they only know what you tell them.

Comment

Unfortunately I'm prior service and I have a VA disability rating for it. So they already know.

Comment

Originally posted by squeekboy View Post
        Unfortunately I'm prior service and I have a VA disability rating for it. So they already know.
        Oh OK, I see.

Comment

Para: while that is true, why do you always post it? You're the rule Nazi. Isn't it inviting fraudulent enlistments?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            Para: while that is true, why do you always post it? You're the rule Nazi. Isn't it inviting fraudulent enlistments?
            Not really. The reality is that if everyone was 100% honest about their medical conditions going through MEPS, over half of us would not be in. Its just the reality. Something of this nature 99.9% of the time is going to be a non issue, unless you make it one. The worst thing that happens, is they put you back out, which puts you right back where you are now. No one actually gets fined / court martial in the way they threaten. They lie to applicants in order to trick them; Are you technically lying, sure...lawyers and politicians do it everyday. I never actually tell anyone to lie. I am just giving them the whole story.

I'm not the rule nazi, I just know what they are. Some are stupid, and some aren't.

In the OP's case though, he is right. If the VA knows, the Army knows.
            Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; October 20th, 2012, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
              I have to agree with you on this one, especially with a medical history of depression. There is a reason Soldiers are coming back with PTSD issues and as a whole we are experiencing high rates of suicide: being a Soldier is challenging and requires all of us to perform at our best. An applicant knowingly enlisting with a predisposition of clinical depression is putting themselves and their comrades in danger. On this issue, is it possible to omit your medical history? Absolutely. In good conscience, I must stress the importance of being honest, even if it bars an applicant from enlisting.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                I have to agree with you on this one, especially with a medical history of depression. There is a reason Soldiers are coming back with PTSD issues and as a whole we are experiencing high rates of suicide: being a Soldier is challenging and requires all of us to perform at our best. An applicant knowingly enlisting with a predisposition of clinical depression is putting themselves and their comrades in danger. On this issue, is it possible to omit your medical history? Absolutely. In good conscience, I must stress the importance of being honest, even if it bars an applicant from enlisting.
                Deleted.........

When I made my post I forgot he had a VA diagnosis, so since my post made no sense, I deleted it.
                Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; October 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

If your VA disability rating is above 30% you are not qualified. If it is lower you will need tons of paperwork from a civilian physician stating that you are not on any kind of medications and currently do not suffer depression symptoms. This documentation would likely take years to document if you truley do not suffer from depression. With that being said you are not doing yourself or any Soldiers justice by not claiming this on a prescreen.

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
                    If your VA disability rating is above 30% you are not qualified. If it is lower you will need tons of paperwork from a civilian physician stating that you are not on any kind of medications and currently do not suffer depression symptoms. This documentation would likely take years to document if you truley do not suffer from depression. With that being said you are not doing yourself or any Soldiers justice by not claiming this on a prescreen.
                    This is not true. The regulatory requirements that state you cannot enlist if your rating is over 30% are reffering to the rating you receive from the Army (or other military component) when going through the MEB/PEB process. It is not reffering to the VA rating. These are two very different; very individual; but often confused ratings.

What you posted stands true for an Army rating of 30% or higher, because that would have resulted in the service member being medically retired.

A VA rating of 30% does nothing but compensate you at the 30% pay out.

Comment

Just an update. I'm talking with a a contact in the unit I want to join. He's going through their Medical NCOIC, trying to get in contact with a Flight Surgeon and also working with a recruiter. I have a 40% VA rating, but only 10% is depression/anxiety, 10% for mild pain in each foot, and 10% for TBI. I've been discussing the reality that I haven't had my life significantly impacted by any of these since I first left the army in 2008. While my VA Doctor agrees with that, the VA cautioned me to wait and assess over a period of time whether or not any of these disabilities are still present. We'll see how things go, and if a door opens to possibly fly in the ARNG. It might be a long shot but so far, this unit seems to think there's a possibility depending on how things change in the coming months and years. Thanks guys for the info!

Comment

Why don't you just go direct with a NG recruiter? MEPS will make that determination unless the recruiter says you are ineligible.

You are aware of the high rate of suicides and how anything that shows mental on your records (especially with a VA rating) will be a barrier to serve.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                          Why don't you just go direct with a NG recruiter? MEPS will make that determination unless the recruiter says you are ineligible.

You are aware of the high rate of suicides and how anything that shows mental on your records (especially with a VA rating) will be a barrier to serve.
                          Correct. There's actually is a current suspension on medical waivers for a history of depression. Be sure to talk to your recruiter about this and how it affects you.
                          Last edited by RyCass; October 22nd, 2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

what about if you are taking medications? i heared in the past that the military doesnt take anyone who is currently taking medications im wondering if the National Guard is different

Comment

Originally posted by achabot661 View Post
                              what about if you are taking medications? i heared in the past that the military doesnt take anyone who is currently taking medications im wondering if the National Guard is different
                              This WAS the case, but the suspension is current as of September 2012.

Comment

Working...
                              X