X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Enlistment/Waiver

Not to sure where to start. I am 21 year old male, my wife is currently serving AD she is a 68w. We just arrived at our new post. Been very busy getting settled in. Anyway back in highschool toward the end of senior year I was going through a very hard time. My guardian was very sick and in out of the hospital, didn'tthink she was gonna make it and being that she was the only person I had I was very upset. Wrestling was my life, i loved my team and my coaches I wrestled for nine years and placed in states my junior and senior year. I got second in the state my senior year not good enough for college scholarship though. And unfourntly after wrestling ended I did not have anything to fill that slot . Anyway I smoke pot a few times and I happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and got a consumption of marjiuanna charge . I got signed up for the first offenders program. It was a 18 month program. I realized I had made a mistake and cleaned up my act for good, I was off of it in three months for exceptional behavior, the charge was dismissed I know that does not matter in the military eyes. I'm now married with a three old daughter and have been trying to enlist ever since I was off of the program every recruiter I've talked has not given me a chance they have not run my paperwork or tried to do the enlist process. I walk in I explain and they just tell me there not gonna be able to help. Granted it was always in a popular area so maybe they just were not worried about their quota. I want nothing more then to serve my country . I'm in great shape. In highschool I got a 90 on my asvab. I would have to retake this. I'm extremely hard worker. And I have letter of recommendation from a retired master sgt. Who is still employed by the military. What I'm asking is if that charge is waiver able and I've just been unlucky with recruiters , or is it impossible for me to get into any military service at this time. Sorry for the long message, just figured it would be better to explain first . Thank you for your time.

Re: General Enlistment/Waiver

While it is commendable that you have made the most of a mistake and have proven yourself a responsible adult, there is currently a suspension on moral waivers for a history of drug use. This is why you are running into resistance from recruiters. Your best option is to keep checking back with a recruiter to learn if the suspension is lifted and to continue to focus on your civilian goals.
    Last edited by RyCass; October 21st, 2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

The good news is you are still young and regulation changes like dirty underwear.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I'm planning on speaking with a recruiter on post sometime this week, hopefully he could give me the general idea of when the suspension might be lifted.

Comment

I went and spoke with a recruiter last week. He's an awesome guy. And he plans on helping me out as much as he can. Since the specific charge was consumption of a non-narcotic schedule one. He said that there was no drugs involved that he thinks I'll be okay. I met with him today and gave him all my paperwork, and my letters of rec. He is sending them in for a suitably review and he said if everything works out with that , then he will work on trying to get a waiver. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I know the chances are slim right now. But I won't give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Flanwell91 View Post
            I went and spoke with a recruiter last week. He's an awesome guy. And he plans on helping me out as much as he can. Since the specific charge was consumption of a non-narcotic schedule one. He said that there was no drugs involved that he thinks I'll be okay. I met with him today and gave him all my paperwork, and my letters of rec. He is sending them in for a suitably review and he said if everything works out with that , then he will work on trying to get a waiver. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I know the chances are slim right now. But I won't give up.
            Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by Flanwell91 View Post
              Awesome! This is a great example of how it pays to always check in with a recruiter. Good luck with your waiver and the rest of your enlistment process!

Comment

Working...
              X