X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad teeth?

What are my chances of joining? Basically I was told all my teeth are bad and need to be taking out. I need dentures my top front fourr teeth are missing and I have a partial. Just wondering what the current rules are. Thanks

Re: bad teeth?

Here's what the Medical Standards (DoD 6130.03) says about dental health:

9. DENTAL
    a. Current diseases or pathology of the jaws or associated tissues that prevent normal
    functioning [is a disqualification]. Those diseases or conditions include but are not limited to temporomandibular
    disorders (524.6x) and/or myofascial pain (784.0). A minimum of 6 months healing time must
    elapse for any individuals completing surgical treatment of any maxillofacial pathology lesions.
    b. Current severe malocclusion (524.00-524.29, 524.4), which interferes with normal
    chewing or requires immediate and protracted treatment, or a relationship between the mandible
    and maxilla that prevents satisfactory future prosthodontic replacement [is a disqualification].
    c. Eight or more grossly (visually) cavitated and/or carious teeth (521.0x) [is a disqualification]. Applicants who
    are edentulous must have functioning dentures. Lack of a serviceable prosthesis that prevents
    adequate biting and chewing of a normal diet. Individuals undergoing endodontic care are
    acceptable for entry into the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) only if a civilian or military dentist
    or endodontist provides documentation that active endodontic treatment shall be completed prior
    to being sworn to active duty.
    d. Current orthodontic appliances (mounted or removable; i.e., Invisalign®) for continued
    active treatment (V53.4). Permanent or removable retainers are permissible. Individuals
    undergoing active orthodontic care are acceptable for accession (including DEP) only if a
    civilian or military orthodontist provides documentation that active orthodontic treatment shall
    be completed prior to being sworn into active duty. Entrance to active duty will not occur until
    all orthodontic treatment is documented to be completed.

Based on this, I would say enlisting is not impossible providing you get your teeth taken care of.

Comment

Working...
    X