X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiter problem and required medical documentation

My recruiter apparently has never enlisted someone who had lasik surgery and knee surgery but didn't have any medical documents. The surgeries were 7 years or more ago and the doctors have already destroyed my records. I had statements typed up from each doctors stating I was a patient but they don't have records. Recruiter said there are DOD forms to use but so far has not given me the right form. I've already been to MEPS once but they sent me home because my recruiter then did not have the right documentation on my surgeries (none to be exact). Can anyone else help me? I don't want to bypass chain of command or make him look bad in any way. I'm getting the "vibe" that getting me through is a pain for him and he doesn't want to do things right the first time so I can avoid multiple trips to MEPS. Or...is this just the way the Army does things and I need to suck it up and get used to it. I need an honest assessment on this...I'll take 1 to the head over 3 to the gut if you know what I'm saying.

Here's my stats: 33 yrs old, college degree, ASVAB 93 with GT 123, 10 years into my career in emergency services, enlisting with an OCS packet, physically fit, 20/13 vision, financially responsible, sound mind, and no criminal history. I can think of no reason (with supporting documents obviously) why I should not be eligible for US Military.

Re: Recruiter problem and required medical documentation

Originally posted by SelflessService View Post
    My recruiter apparently has never enlisted someone who had lasik surgery and knee surgery but didn't have any medical documents. The surgeries were 7 years or more ago and the doctors have already destroyed my records. I had statements typed up from each doctors stating I was a patient but they don't have records. Recruiter said there are DOD forms to use but so far has not given me the right form. I've already been to MEPS once but they sent me home because my recruiter then did not have the right documentation on my surgeries (none to be exact). Can anyone else help me? I don't want to bypass chain of command or make him look bad in any way. I'm getting the "vibe" that getting me through is a pain for him and he doesn't want to do things right the first time so I can avoid multiple trips to MEPS. Or...is this just the way the Army does things and I need to suck it up and get used to it. I need an honest assessment on this...I'll take 1 to the head over 3 to the gut if you know what I'm saying.

Here's my stats: 33 yrs old, college degree, ASVAB 93 with GT 123, 10 years into my career in emergency services, enlisting with an OCS packet, physically fit, 20/13 vision, financially responsible, sound mind, and no criminal history. I can think of no reason (with supporting documents obviously) why I should not be eligible for US Military.
    I had a similar situation. I had surgery on my shoulder 13 years ago and their are no medical records left - in fact the doctor has since retired and the office has no record of me being a patient because it was so long. I sent a notarized letter to MEPS (through my recruiter of course) that explained what my surgery was, when it was, that I have had no issues since, and that I have no access to the records as they had been purged/destroyed. I also went to a new orthopedic and got a consult that showed my shoulder's strength, range of motion, stability, etc. This was also submitted to MEPS. The doctor at MEPS disqualified for "history of..." and then my recruiter submitted my documentation to the Guard Surgeon General to get permission to physical. That was approved and I am going to MEPS in 2 weeks. Once at MEPS I will have a consult with the Dr about my shoulder and it is presumed that I will be Dqed (apparently this is normal procedure). Then, the recruiter requests a a medical waiver from the Guard Surgeon General.

Oh, as far as your other qualifications - non of that matters when it comes to medical issues - unfortunately!
    Last edited by robinpugs06; October 4th, 2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

OFF TOPIC MOMENT: I didn't know you were finally headed to MEPs robin!! Good luck as I will be gone and won't be able to hear about it!!

ANYWAYS...it seems to be a common trend recently. Recruiters are very busy and a lot of times if you have a difficult enlistment process you may be prioritized with other recruits. This happened to me when I tried to enlist in the Navy. I was lucky that my ARNG Recruiter is a beast and fought hard for me to get in. Patience is a virtue my friend. It took me 15 months and 2 trips to MEPS to finally get in to the military. Robin had a good idea of getting a consult with a new doctor for your knee and your eyes. They're going to send you to one of their doctors anyways, but consults from your doctor will hopefully get you cleared to Physical. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I suspected this was the case and apparently there's not much I can do about it except thinking ahead to what may be required and preparing accordingly. They haven't said anything about the knee surgery yet so I may go get my own consult on that too before heading to MEPS again. Good advice, thanks. Anyone else have anything?

Comment

if i get injured during meps can i get help recovering without being dq and still be elligible to join

Comment

Originally posted by gibsonjohn View Post
            if i get injured during meps can i get help recovering without being dq and still be elligible to join
            How would EVER get injured DURING MEPS?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
              How would EVER get injured DURING MEPS?
              Falling asleep and getting a concussion after you fall out of your chair.

Comment

Working...
              X