Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Not quite sure really. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not quite sure really.

    Okay, for the longest time. I've wanted to be an MP. Which to me, is one of the most important jobs in the military. I don't care what I do as an MP, whether I'm a guard for a Gate that's entrance for a base. A MP for an American Consulate or embassy in a foreign country ( what I want to do ) or whether I just walk around a base. But I'm not sure what branch I would contact about being a MP... since well, every branch has them. If I become a MP like I want to, I would like to be a MP for an American Consulate or Embassy in a foreign country.

    So who should I contact?

    Also after posting, not to sure where the appropriate place to post this post is.
    Last edited by DaltonBroadus; September 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Not quite sure really.

    Originally posted by DaltonBroadus View Post
    Okay, for the longest time. I've wanted to be an MP. Which to me, is one of the most important jobs in the military. I don't care what I do as an MP, whether I'm a guard for a Gate that's entrance for a base. A MP for an American Consulate or embassy in a foreign country ( what I want to do ) or whether I just walk around a base. But I'm not sure what branch I would contact about being a MP... since well, every branch has them. If I become a MP like I want to, I would like to be a MP for an American Consulate or Embassy in a foreign country.

    So who should I contact?

    Also after posting, not to sure where the appropriate place to post this post is.

    Active Duty Marine Corps or the State Department. USMC has Marine Security Guard Program once you become a Cpl (4 years ish)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Not quite sure really.

      Yeah...if you want to guard an embassy you need to join the marines.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Not quite sure really.

        Why if I went into ROTC ECP program, which my dad did but was unable to complete due to medical reasons, would I graduate in 2 years. But if I go into a regular ROTC program, I would graduate in four. I do plan on going into GMC where my dad attended, of course that's if I qualify and such.
        Because next to eventually becoming a MP for a embassy or consulate, or even a American Base in a foreign country, or even one in even in the states. I would also like to go into the army as an officer. Another question is if I do become a 2nd Lt. fist, then decide to go into the Marines or go to the State Department to become a MP. Would I have to through basic training, or would I not have to due to rank and prior service. Also, if I become a 2nd Lt., would I still hold my rank as an 2nd Lt. in the Marines (http://www.navyreserve.com/joining/a...nverter.html)?
        Last edited by DaltonBroadus; September 30th, 2012, 01:14 PM. Reason: fixing sentence grammar error.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Not quite sure really.

          You keep on saying MP in regards to working at Foreign Embassies and that is not the case. When I was a Marine stationed at Quantico, my barracks was across the street from the Marine Security Guard school. The Marines selected have unbellished records. Perhaps you would like a career in Attaché .

          On iPhone so excuse my typos.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Not quite sure really.

            Dude, this from the Marines.com page:

            http://www.marines.com/videos/-/vide...IGNMENTS_ITALY

            Why do you have a PFC avatar?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Not quite sure really.

              And a heads up you do not get to choose your job when you enlist AD in the Marines. You get to choose your job category (first 2 numbers), but ultimately they will choose your job within that category "based on the needs of the Corps" (last 2 numbers). The only time you get to choose is if you're in the Reserves. You can hope on an MOS transfer but the likelihood of that is slim. Trust me, my husband is a USMC Reservist. At least in the Guard you can choose MP if there is an open slot in your area.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Not quite sure really.

                Originally posted by gheart68w View Post
                And a heads up you do not get to choose your job when you enlist AD in the Marines. You get to choose your job category (first 2 numbers), but ultimately they will choose your job within that category "based on the needs of the Corps" (last 2 numbers). The only time you get to choose is if you're in the Reserves. You can hope on an MOS transfer but the likelihood of that is slim. Trust me, my husband is a USMC Reservist. At least in the Guard you can choose MP if there is an open slot in your area.
                Yes, MP MOS Field 58XX you will get 5811 (MP) or 5831 (Corrections) however there is NO MOS restriction for the MSG program. Once again you will have to wait at least 4 years to join and end up doing 8 total.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Not quite sure really.

                  I know that in any branch you don't get to choose. You're place based on what you score best in. That's what any recruiter I've ever met has told me. The only thing you get to do that they'll train you for is in a foreign language, and you even then it depends on the score you get on what language you learn.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Not quite sure really.

                    Originally posted by DaltonBroadus View Post
                    I know that in any branch you don't get to choose. You're place based on what you score best in. That's what any recruiter I've ever met has told me. The only thing you get to do that they'll train you for is in a foreign language, and you even then it depends on the score you get on what language you learn.
                    False, at a minimum you get to choose your MOS field (03XX-Infantry, 02XX- Intelligence, 58XX- Military Police) <-----USMC specific and you get a specific MOS within that field. For example I was 03XX Infantry and I got 0351 Infantry Assaultman at school. In the Guard/Reserves you get to pick your specific MOS (0351, 0331, 5811, etc.) The only requirement is that you qualify for the job and there is a vacancy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Not quite sure really.

                      Originally posted by DaltonBroadus View Post
                      Why if I went into ROTC ECP program, which my dad did but was unable to complete due to medical reasons, would I graduate in 2 years. But if I go into a regular ROTC program, I would graduate in four. I do plan on going into GMC where my dad attended, of course that's if I qualify and such.
                      Because next to eventually becoming a MP for a embassy or consulate, or even a American Base in a foreign country, or even one in even in the states. I would also like to go into the army as an officer. Another question is if I do become a 2nd Lt. fist, then decide to go into the Marines or go to the State Department to become a MP. Would I have to through basic training, or would I not have to due to rank and prior service. Also, if I become a 2nd Lt., would I still hold my rank as an 2nd Lt. in the Marines (http://www.navyreserve.com/joining/a...nverter.html)?
                      Yes.

                      10char.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Not quite sure really.

                        Originally posted by DaltonBroadus View Post
                        Why if I went into ROTC ECP program, which my dad did but was unable to complete due to medical reasons, would I graduate in 2 years. But if I go into a regular ROTC program, I would graduate in four. I do plan on going into GMC where my dad attended, of course that's if I qualify and such.
                        Because next to eventually becoming a MP for a embassy or consulate, or even a American Base in a foreign country, or even one in even in the states. I would also like to go into the army as an officer. Another question is if I do become a 2nd Lt. fist, then decide to go into the Marines or go to the State Department to become a MP. Would I have to through basic training, or would I not have to due to rank and prior service. Also, if I become a 2nd Lt., would I still hold my rank as an 2nd Lt. in the Marines (http://www.navyreserve.com/joining/a...nverter.html)?
                        You won't graduate early via ECP; you'll be commissioned early - not the same thing. With the ECP you'll commission after your sophomore year of college and finish up the last two years of college as an LT. Generally, I've found officers that come out of ECP are less mature than their peers. That isn't to say they can't become good officers, but it seems to take longer to get there.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X