X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration.

Hi. i applied for the immigration reform aug 15th. i want to join nation guard but do i need to have a green card to join or you can just have ssn to join? just wondering. but i called the army recruiter they told me to call or go to the website for national guard. they told me that "SOME" people joined with a ssn. just wondering. i don't know if he was telling me the truth. thank you

Re: Immigration.

I am in the same boat!

I will be entering America with a K1 visa in Jan, i will have a SSN but not a full US citizen.

I served with the British Army in a Recon role for 11 years including 3 tours in Iraq.

I want to give something back to America instead of just being known as some free loading immigrant.

Comment

I am not versed in the different types of visa's out there. What I do know that you would need to be a legal permanent resident (i.e. Green Card) or a United States citizen to be eligible to enlist.

Here's what the National Guard website says about eligibility requirements.

Comment

You do definitely need Permanent Residency (Green Card) to enlist.

UK? - Greetings from a fellow British Immigrant! Once you get married from the K1 Visa (which is a Fiancee Visa), you'll go through all the hoopla with USCIS and get a "CR1" - Conditional Permanent Residency. This will allow you to enlist in ANY branch of the military except the Air Force. Should you enlist at that point, you'll be able to file Citizenship paperwork while in Basic and receive it by the end. Best of luck - I emigrated here 5 years ago and never looked back!

Comment

Originally posted by USAForever View Post

UK? - Greetings from a fellow British Immigrant! Once you get married from the K1 Visa (which is a Fiancee Visa), you'll go through all the hoopla with USCIS and get a "CR1" - Conditional Permanent Residency. This will allow you to enlist in ANY branch of the military except the Air Force. Should you enlist at that point, you'll be able to file Citizenship paperwork while in Basic and receive it by the end. Best of luck - I emigrated here 5 years ago and never looked back!
          Hello mate!

I was worried it was going to be something like that. I'm 28 now so still have a few years to get everything sorted i guess before the 35 age cut off.

Where did you end up? I'm hoping to be in Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by USAForever View Post

Thanks for clarifying the Visa's!

Comment

UK - You should get your CR1 within a year of submitting the paperwork after your marriage. Not sure what the current timelines are but drop me a Private Message and I can send you some links to immigration websites which may help out. Also make sure you get any UK education credentials evaluated and then you can come in at advanced rank - also if you have a degree from the UK it does count for OCS etc purposes if that interests you - you just have to pay a small fee to get it "translated" to US equivalents like I did.

I'm current working and drilling in PA, but my house and wife are back in CO...I travel so much for my civilian job it just wasn't worth it moving her out here, so we see each other about one week in every 6.

Rycass- no probs...I actually did all my immigration paperwork myself from initial Marriage/Green Card Visas right up and including Citizenship. There's a wealth of free info out there so honestly you don't need an attorney (as many people think!) unless you have major issues like criminal background etc. Most recruiters aren't up to speed on current visas etc (completely understandable, given the amount of other things they have on their plate!), so I try to help out when I can.

Comment

Rycass- no probs...I actually did all my immigration paperwork myself from initial Marriage/Green Card Visas right up and including Citizenship. There's a wealth of free info out there so honestly you don't need an attorney (as many people think!) unless you have major issues like criminal background etc. Most recruiters aren't up to speed on current visas etc (completely understandable, given the amount of other things they have on their plate!), so I try to help out when I can.
                That's good to know that, with a little initiative, applicants can get the paperwork done themselves. I agree, though! It's a beast within itself that most recruiters don't have time for.

Thanks, again, for sharing your experience.

UK?--Good luck with the enlistment process!
                Last edited by RyCass; October 11th, 2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Hi,

my wife and I were granted DV1 and DV2 immigrant visas which makes us eligible to enroll however we do not have SSNs as we did not enter the US yet ( we also do not have a US address, of course). Is there a way to apply like this?

Comment

My suggestion is to visit or call a recruiter when you are finally in the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by toraritte View Post
                      Hi,

my wife and I were granted DV1 and DV2 immigrant visas which makes us eligible to enroll however we do not have SSNs as we did not enter the US yet ( we also do not have a US address, of course). Is there a way to apply like this?
                      NO. You MUST be a permanent resident with an INS I-551 immigration card (Green Card) in order to apply/enlist in the Army National Guard.

Comment

SF Hunter - Thanks for your reply but with the DV visa we'll get permanent resident status (green card).

fmcityslicker - Thank you! I thought to that this way it is a no-go but it was worth asking. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by toraritte View Post
                          SF Hunter - Thanks for your reply but with the DV visa we'll get permanent resident status (green card)
                          Just FYI: As a permanent resident, you will be limited to the types of jobs/MOSs available to choose and enlist for. No jobs/MOSs that require a security clearance.

Comment

Am a new immigrant planning to relocate there in September. I will be 34yrs then and i was wondering if i will still be eligible to join the NG. Am married with 2 kids, older one is 4yrs and the last born is 7months. What is the best advice out there as i have always wanted to join the disciplined force ever since i was a small boy?

Comment

Originally posted by Bon-D View Post
                              Am a new immigrant planning to relocate there in September. I will be 34yrs then and i was wondering if i will still be eligible to join the NG. Am married with 2 kids, older one is 4yrs and the last born is 7months. What is the best advice out there as i have always wanted to join the disciplined force ever since i was a small boy?
                              Same thing applies. You will need to be a permanent resident or have a Green Card to be eligible to enlist.

Comment

Working...
                              X